Latest post Wed, Jun 29 2011 12:02 AM by Jeffrey Williams. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 28 2011 3:34 PM

Persistent "segmentation fault" error on freshly installed OS X

I've been running into a beast of a "segmentation fault" error - when I launch Media Composer, the opening splash page gets to "configuring digital I/O subsystem", then bonks out. 

I have gone as far as removing all my peripherals (the analog Mojo and the Matrox MXO2 for my FCP), re-installing my OS from scratch, re-installing Media Composer, and I'm still getting this error in the same spot. I've run a thorough RAM test that came up clean, and I'm starting to wonder if it's possibly a hardware problem, because at this point, I'm stumped.

Here's the long version of the story:

(which started here: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/97299/558062.aspx#558062)

The problem started about a month ago. I crashed with a lengthy "flamethrower" error, I believe this one:

"FatalExcpt Exception: A device on the 1394 bus causing problems. Please remove it  or disable 'Output To DV Device'. - FTStatus Code - FT_LinkInitializationFailed - FlamethrowerLinkManager::OpenLink - Failed to create link object."

After that crash, the system would not launch - it would just get to the "configuring digital I/O subsystem" screen, give me the segmentation fault error, and crash.

I backed up my projects, wiped the hard drive clean, removed the Mojo and the firewire card that fed it, and re-installed OS X from scratch, upgraded to 10.6.7. Then I re-installed Media Composer 5.5.2. I was able to launch MC to the project start screen, and get my licenses re-activated. Then I called it a day. Next day, I re-installed from scratch (not restored from a time capsule) Lightroom, Fetch, MPEG Streamclip, and FCP studio 3 on the same system - the same configuration I've had running trouble-free for years. Re-launch Media Composer, and get the same "segmentation fault" error in the same spot.

That's my 'what the hell' moment. This is now officially confounding. Any thoughts? Is this possibly hardware/video card failure? Is tech support technical enough to fix this if I buy the one-time support call?

System specs:

OS X 10.6.7

2x2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon

4GB RAM

MC 5.5.2

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, PCIe, 256 MB

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 28.8px; text-indent: -28.9px; font: 12.0px Courier; color: #910091}

2.266 Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro [view my complete system specs]

Follow me on Twitter: @jeffrey723

• Tue, Jun 28 2011 11:02 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bainbridge Island, WA
    • Posts 5,568
    • Points 64,850
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Persistent "segmentation fault" error on freshly installed OS X

If you have Audio Hijack Pro or Soundflower installed, remove them.  Do a search for "soundflower" if you want more details.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Jun 29 2011 12:02 AM In reply to

Re: Persistent "segmentation fault" error on freshly installed OS X

Nope, I have neither of those. Unless they're some weird driver kid of software that installs automatically with FCP or AVID.

2.266 Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro [view my complete system specs]

Follow me on Twitter: @jeffrey723

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller