Latest post Mon, Apr 19 2010 10:28 AM by Job ter Burg. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 16 2010 3:25 PM

• dfessak
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 1 2007
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,230

Support For MC 4 When 5 Comes Out?

Now that MC 5 will be arriving soon, will Avid still be supporting MC 4 once it arrives with updates and patches?  Or will they just drop it like they did Xpress Pro when MC 4 came out?

• Fri, Apr 16 2010 3:30 PM In reply to

Re: Support For MC 4 When 5 Comes Out?

Previous versions usually will not have any further updates other than solving critical bugs.

Xpress Pro 5.x is a bit different. That was EOL, announced ahead of time.

MC 2022, W11, ASUS z690m, Intel 13900K, Gigabyte 3080Ti Waterforce, 128GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Big... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 16 2010 3:31 PM In reply to

MC 4 will continue to be supported. Avid continued to support MC 3 with updates and patches when MC 4 was released. I see no reason why that would not continue to be the case for MC 4 relative to MC 5. Not everyone will automatically upgrade to MC 5, just like there are still plenty of MC 3 users out there who elected to stay put with what they have.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Apr 16 2010 3:42 PM In reply to

• dfessak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,230

OK, good.  I was just starting to get worried that if they no longer supported it that I would never be able to update past 10.6.2.

• Fri, Apr 16 2010 3:46 PM In reply to

dfessak:
    OK, good.  I was just starting to get worried that if they no longer supported it that I would never be able to update past 10.6.2.

It is unlikely that Avid will "qualify" a new version of MC 4.x with newer OS X unless it needs to fix critical bugs.

MC 2022, W11, ASUS z690m, Intel 13900K, Gigabyte 3080Ti Waterforce, 128GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Big... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 17 2010 5:46 PM In reply to

• dfessak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,230

That's what I was worried about.  And I just upgraded to 4 from Xpress Pro less than a month ago.

• Sat, Apr 17 2010 5:51 PM In reply to

dfessak:
    that I would never be able to update past 10.6.2.

That may still be very possible. Avid editing applications generally are not updated to support new versions of an OS. You need the OS, you need the upgrade.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 17 2010 7:47 PM In reply to

While I have no direct problem with this policy, there is something that I would like to ask.

Microsoft still makes updates for XP and Vista while windows 7 is out. When XP will go EOL I don't know but I do not expect is soon. In Microsoft's case this has to do with the percentages of users still using older versions of the windows OS. In Avid's Media Composer case the release of the next version is an almost imminent stop of updates for older versions. Now I do not know what the percentages are of MC versions in use throughout all its customers. But could the Microsoft model, in an adapted form of course, also be an option?

And would we benefit from that? I'm especially relating this question to the fact that Avid is going for online software activation and the introduction of remote editing through internet. I assume that Avid will have to keep certifying security updates for these products as they are intended to be used online, even if a new version is released.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sat, Apr 17 2010 7:52 PM In reply to

jveekeres:
    Microsoft still makes updates for XP and Vista while windows 7 is out. When XP will go EOL I don't know but I do not expect is soon. In Microsoft's case this has to do with the percentages of users still using older versions of the windows OS.

That's very true. In fact, Microsoft still supports Windows 2000. I have an old IBM Thinkpad that's my personal back-up computer, and Microsoft still has updates for it - runs on Win 2000.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Apr 17 2010 8:36 PM In reply to

jveekeres:
    Now I do not know what the percentages are of MC versions in use throughout all its customers. But could the Microsoft model, in an adapted form of course, also be an option?

Actually, multiple revisions of 3.5 were released after the initial 4.0 release, so Avid is already doing this.

I just don't think they will re-qualify older revisions of MC with newer incarnations of an OS or QT.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 17 2010 9:35 PM In reply to

I'm not so much wondering if Avid has to start updating older versions like 3, 3.5 and 4... More a question of 4 and beyond.

As I wrote in another post in the chat with Avid forum, the economical lifespan, according tax law, is 3 years. I think a period of 3 years is quite reasonable in the current software market for continued support and updates. Even if you bring out a new version in the mean time.

Again this is a domain in which Avid's has always been silent. With all the great changes wouldn't it also be nice if Avid would start giving a general support/update indication period for its products? 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Apr 18 2010 7:29 AM In reply to

Yes, that would be good.
    Without that concrete info, I'm just looking back over the past few years, and I don't think Avid ever requalified new OS's for older software versions, even if they did provide support and CPR's for that older software.

The old adagium has always been not to keep your OS in sync with your version of MC, or the other way around.

Also, I'm willing to bet that requalifying older software versions is going to eat a lot of resources within Avid, which I'd rather see them stick into developing new stuff.

Just my 2 cts.

• Sun, Apr 18 2010 10:36 AM In reply to

Like I said, IMHO the right policy is highly connected to the technical need to hook up an NLE, group of NLE's and a shared storage into a network that is also connected to the internet. If this is the direction it will go, and I guess it is, then sooner or later Avid will start to address security issues and release "MC security updates". And those updates need to come throughout the economical lifespan of the product.

Practically, reading many posts out here, inc. this one, I think updating 4.x so it is certified for snow leopard is not a waste of resources.  It would show that people that bought MC 4 or an update to MC 4 did not spend this money to use it over a period of less then a year. Now I know the prices have come down enormously, so from a financial point, this might not be a problem, but my bean-counters and Tax authority think it is.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Apr 18 2010 12:41 PM In reply to

jveekeres:
    those updates need to come throughout the economical lifespan of the product.

I think one of the ideas behing the cloud thingy is that you can operate independently of system requirements, other than a browser and a plugin, at least, on the user side (not on the central server point, probably). So that may be a turn for the good.

jveekeres:
    I think updating 4.x so it is certified for snow leopard is not a waste of resources.

MC4 was qualified for Snow Leopard. I just don't feel they should spend much time and money qualifiying MC4 for each and every subsequent update of Snow Leopard. If there's a working system of the OS and MC, keep both at the same level. They are intertwined. Again, just my 2 cts. I treat most of my computers as editing stations, so I don't care for new versions of iPhoto on them. I know that a lot of people may use it as just any piece of software, but I would rather Avid spend their money on professional's needs.

BTW: Dutch tax authorities allow you to amortize software anyway you want. Any investment under 469 EUR (or somewhere around that figure) you don't have to spread over more than a year. Is it that different in Greece?

• Sun, Apr 18 2010 11:36 PM In reply to

• dfessak
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 169
    • Points 2,230

MC4 was qualified for Snow Leopard. I just don't feel they should spend much time and money qualifiying MC4 for each and every subsequent update of Snow Leopard. If there's a working system of the OS and MC, keep both at the same level. They are intertwined. Again, just my 2 cts. I treat most of my computers as editing stations, so I don't care for new versions of iPhoto on them. I know that a lot of people may use it as just any piece of software, but I would rather Avid spend their money on professional's needs.

Everyone who uses Avid professionally does not have unlimited resources or an employer who is paying for all the software and hardware that they use.

A lot of people who use it are self employed and run their own businesses from home.  Having to always buy the new version of a program every time it's upgraded is a big deal for them since it is coming out of their own pocket.  $2000 here, $500 there and the next thing you know you are fighting to break even.  How fun was it when Apple switched to Intel and 1/2 your programs did not work anymore?

MC4 was qualified for Snow Leopard 10.6.2.  So now everyone who bought it after they finally qualified it should be stuck not being able to upgrade their OS, the most important program on their entire computer, because Avid wants them to spend money on something new?

Avid doesn't have to release an update for every update Apple releases, but if Apple is up to 10.6.7 and Avid hasn't bothered to update past 6.2, then something is seriously wrong.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller