Latest post Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:47 AM by lj1982. 21 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 20 2010 2:22 PM In reply to

Re: From MC to Avid DVD - A look at the settings!

I understand exactly what you are saying. And this brings up the crux of the problem.

I have no doubt that Douglas is correct, the RGB QT Ref looked better than the 601/709 ones did when burned to DVD.

But I also have no doubt that choosing RGB rescales the images, thereby adding contrast and probably adding illegal colors. But why does it look good?

I am coming around to thinking that most DVD's released by the studios have illegal colors too. They are not restricted to only legal 601/709 values. I'm not sure of this, but I'm really starting to think that this is the case.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Jul 20 2010 7:15 PM In reply to

I think I´ll rip some commercial DVDs for science purpose and insert it into premiere´s waveform. Hopefully the ripping doesn´t change the colorspace, then I should be able to check the settings used for the films.

I´ll also insert the output from AvidDVD into the waveform after feeding AvidDVD with 709 QT Ref material (and also with RGB) just to see how AvidDVD treats it.

I´ll report back,

grettings

Felix

Avid MC 2018.12 / NitrisDX / HP z840 / Windows 10 Pro 64bit / winVer 1803 / Interplay - Media Central Production / ISIS 5500 storage / Client connection... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 21 2010 3:56 AM In reply to

Thanks much! :) And Thanks Again! to Doug for doing this tutorial and trying all the different options. ;)

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Fri, Oct 19 2012 9:07 AM In reply to

• lj1982
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 19 2012
    • Posts 5
    • Points 45

Hi,

I'm quite surprised with the result of this test.

First, it seems to me that the norm for the DVD and Bluray are :

- 601 for DVD

- 709 for bluray

I were thinking that Avid DVD was respecting these norms and that we have a DVD 601 or Bluray 709 even if the source is RGB.

I my case, i'm made the same tests you made with DV PAL vidéo, 601 (source DVDCAM).

In resulting, it seems to me that the 601 export give the same result that the original video.

The RGB export give more contrasts with white and black expanded. DVDit take it as RGB, but don't seems to convert it in 601.

I think I compare the result in a good player DVD in 601, so the video 601 is OK and the RGB not.

I should test with a bad player (VLC for example don't play 601 DVD) and I suppose my DVD will be OK because it will be read in RGB.

Finnally, it's hard to choose beetween 601 and RGB : I think the result will be perfect with 601 in a player DVD on TV, or a good player sofware, but better in RGB in VLC for example...

• Fri, Oct 19 2012 9:16 AM In reply to

lj1982:
    I think the result will be perfect with 601 in a player DVD on TV, or a good player sofware, but better in RGB in VLC for example.

I wouldn't advise using the same export file for DVD and for web, for just the reasons you describe.  Export a QT reference movie, and use Sorensen Squeeze (or whatever file conversion software you've got) to create different outputs for DVD, web, etc.

Media Composer 2022.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Oct 19 2012 12:42 PM In reply to

• lj1982
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 45

I agree with you, but in this case, we want to create a DVD, th question is what should I choose beetween 601/709 and RGB.

I know the result is better with 601 on TV and a good software, but if the DVD is read on VLC, the result is awful. On VLC, RGB would be better maybe.

But as we can't know what software will be used by the user, it's impossible to choose beetween rgb and 601. In my opinion, we should choose 601 because this is the norm. VLS and other sofwares shoud learn to read DVD video 601 correctly.

I have a question about exporting in quicktime ref : in my case, I use the "same as source" profile because I keep my masters. I know my sources are in Avid DV Codec Pal 4:2:0 Interlaced and 601.

If I chooser RGB in the quicktime ref export settings, I don't undertand how I can have rgb level, while my source are in 601 level.

• Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:47 AM In reply to

• lj1982
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 45

I finally made a lot of test and it seems that the rgb export seems better in VLC, Corel Win DVD Pro 2011.

But the 601 export seems better in Intervidéo WinDVD8.

In a dvd player on cathodic TV, I can't see a big difference: that's the same.

I compare with 3 commercial DVD that seems OK in VLC. Si I think the best to do is use the RGB export.

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller