Latest post Sun, Jan 25 2009 10:24 PM by jwrl. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 25 2009 10:57 AM

• danishuziel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 15 2006
    • Israel
    • Posts 13
    • Points 195

Quictime Mac to PC

I hope I will find a solution here to this problem.

I have some clips in a Quicktime format which were exported from a mac

and of course I can't see them on my PC.

Quicktime error: "additonal software is required for QuickTime to playback this media..."

The clips are White and quicktime can't show them on pc.

How can I fix this?

Is there a codec that can supports PC reading a quicktime from a mac?

The problem is that I dont have an Avid on mac, so I could have make this conversion to a quicktime conversion so that the clips would be readable on PC.

Thanx

paint the screen blue and throw it to the sea. :)

• Sun, Jan 25 2009 12:34 PM In reply to

Re: Quictime Mac to PC

Hi,

Use the Movie Inspector in Quicktime (CTRL+I) to see what codec was used to make the Quicktimes.

Also, just because they'll play on a PC doesn't mean they'll play in Media Composer; you have to use a codec that can be played in Media Composer.  An Avid codec is the best choice, followed by something universal like Animation.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2022.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jan 25 2009 4:34 PM In reply to

• danishuziel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 15 2006
    • Israel
    • Posts 13
    • Points 195

Hi

I see in the Quicktime info :

HDV 1080i60

16 bit

FPS 29/97

I have also After Effect and I would like to be able to see this clip

if not in Avid at least in a much open programm such ad after ... :)

I have installed an Avid codec PE, I still can't see :(

what should I do?

paint the screen blue and throw it to the sea. :)

• Sun, Jan 25 2009 4:42 PM In reply to

• fiendish
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 529
    • Points 6,470

There's your problem. Apple's Quicktime HDV codec is usefully not supported on the PC. You need to get the clips rendered to another codec on the Mac. If they're short you could just used uncompressed or animation, otherwise get the Avid codecs installed on the Mac and render out DNxHD 145 or 220.

z840 dual E5-2667v3@3.20GHz / 32GB ram / Quadro M5000 / MC 2019.12 / BM Decklink Studio 2 // i7-2600k Home Build / 8GB ram / MC 2018.12 xw8600 Dual Quad... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 25 2009 4:46 PM In reply to

danishuziel:
    HDV 1080i60
    It doesn't say anything about Apple Intermediate or BlackMagic or something else?

danishuziel:
    I have installed an Avid codec PE, I still can't see
    Chances are that this QT file was exported using a non-Avid codec, something that only a Mac can read.  This happens a lot when someone exports from FCP.  In my experience, many FCP users assume the entire world uses FCP or those FCP users don't understand codecs.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jan 25 2009 10:24 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,449
    • Points 98,420

Kenton.VanNatten:
    many FCP users assume the entire world uses FCP or those FCP users don't understand codecs.

I've just taken over an FCP project from another "editor", and I'm currently wrestling with issues caused by the same lack of understanding of codecs.  You can't blame the software, except that it seduces new users to start work before they understand the technology they're using.  And this is a thirteen part series with absolutely no media organisation, too.

The previous FCP project I was bought on to rescue was a documentary in which differing frame rates and sizes and been freely mixed.  Trouble was, it had all to end up on film.  Now that was a nightmare!

Sorry, danishuziel.  I shouldn't have taken this OT, but Kenton's comment touched a nerve.

And why is "editor" in quotes above?  Because these are usually the guys who, because they can afford the software, think they're instantly an editor.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller