Latest post Mon, Oct 24 2022 7:31 PM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 24 2022 12:44 PM

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 12 2016
    • Posts 37
    • Points 425

EU vat on Digital River invoices

Hi all,

I've been reading older threads regarding VAT back in the Arvato days but can't seem to find any recent information now that my billing goes through Digital River and contains an EU VAT number. The invoice nowadays says: OUTPUT VAT in buyer's country and charges me 21% VAT which is correct for my country.

Just to be clear: does this mean Avid is paying VAT in my country and I can treat the invoice as I do with any other local business expense? (i'm based in the Netherlands)

AVID MC 2022.10 / Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K / Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2ghz / 64GB ram / GeForce RTX 2080 Ti / Windows 10 pro / [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 24 2022 2:03 PM In reply to

Re: EU vat on Digital River invoices

That's how I read it, and the same happened to me when I purchased an iZotope upgrade through Digital River. They charge Dutch VAT, which you can reclaim if you're VAT registered in NL.

As far as I can tell, larger EU shops are not allowed to relay VAT, and are required to charge local VAT. The same happens when you order from, say, Thomann, who are based in Germany, but sell so much in other countries that they are required to charge local VAT. Unlike when you order from smaller shops, who can relay the VAT when selling to VAT-registered EU businesses.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 24 2022 2:19 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 12 2016
    • Posts 37
    • Points 425

Thanks for replying Job, it's hard to find stuff about this subject. Coincidentally I had an invoice from Thomann too, will pass this link on to my tax advisor.

If you don't mind me asking: regarding Avid MC is this your method nowadays or do you still order through a local reseller?

AVID MC 2022.10 / Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K / Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2ghz / 64GB ram / GeForce RTX 2080 Ti / Windows 10 pro / [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 24 2022 7:31 PM In reply to

For the past few years, I ordered from Videoguys. Better deals. Probably less so at the current exchange rate.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller