Latest post Fri, Aug 19 2022 5:08 PM by Philip Kapadia. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Aug 19 2022 3:37 PM

Apple hack - Media Composer on Monterey

Hi everyone.

Apple is in the middle of a news cycle today, in which they are recommending that users upgrade to the latest versions in order to avoid a potential hack issue. Initially this seemed to only apply to iPads and iPhones, but now shows that it has expanded to Monterey as well. While Avid still needs to rely heavily on the qualifications work that our teams have done, I certainly understand the conflict in this particular unusual case.

Remember that air-gapping yourself from the internet is always the number-one way to protect your ecosystem. The good news is that if you follow the history of macOS versions, once they get to around "dot five", the updates are mainly security-based, and there don't seem to be anything major that could trip-up core Media Composer operations.

If you feel the need to upgrade to Apple's "fixed" version of Monterey 12.5.1, then I would say to use caution in doing so. If you are you attached to a NEXIS and cannot upgrade, then air-gapping your computer from the internet is the easiest and safest thing to do.

I have sent alerts internally to all of Avid's product teams. They have already been actively testing 12.5.0 since it was in Beta, and have thus far seen no issues with MC itself. They are looking at 12.5.1 right now, and so this whole thing might be over super quick.
    2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.7. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12.2 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager

• Fri, Aug 19 2022 5:08 PM In reply to

Re: Apple hack - Media Composer on Monterey

Thnx!

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller