Latest post Sun, Jul 24 2022 12:26 PM by Philip Kapadia. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 22 2022 7:16 PM

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2014
    • Posts 205
    • Points 2,345

Avid MC – match frame and other functions should ignore empty tracks

(I may be wrong, but I feel like this used to be how Avid worked.  In any case, I think it is a good idea)

Match-frame, find-bin, and find-script should ignore empty tracks.  If I select V1, A1, A2, A3 and then park my playhead at a section where there is only material on A2 & A3, match-frame should match back from the material on A2.  Ditto for find-bin and find-script.  As it is currently, the user needs to constantly deselect empty tracks just so match-frame, find-bin, and find-script will work.

Interestingly reverse-match-frame DOES work this way.  It will ingnore any selected tracks that don't have material at the playhead and reverse-match from the topmost segment.  

I suppose this is a funtion of the fact that reverse-match doesn't pull clips from within the project.  But still I think a pardigm where empty tracks are ignored would be much better and consistent.

picture below should match/find clip on A1

and this should match/find from clip on A2

Avid MC 2022.7 Mac Os Monterey (12.3.1) MacStudio Apple M1 Ultra 128GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 24 2022 11:43 AM In reply to

Re: Avid MC – match frame and other functions should ignore empty tracks

Good idea. 

Do you know about the new select clip > right click > find bin in the timeline?

Or right click the track targeting panel and hit match frame track?

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Sun, Jul 24 2022 12:21 PM In reply to

• dlogneb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 27 2014
    • Posts 205
    • Points 2,345

You know I didn't know about these right click options.  Pretty nifty!   Definitely super useful.

But, that said, hitting option-find-bin or match-frame with the keyboard still feels much faster and I'd love to have it ingnore empty tracks. 

But, in particular what I use a lot is option-findscript which effectively "match frames" to a transcript from my timeline.   This is the one where I get most annoyed by the empty-track issue.   

In fact, I'd be even happier if "find script" ignored any clips that don't have scripts associated with them.  I don't know if it's possible though.  Often I have my interview edits on track 1 or 2 and I might have b-roll or archival footage on the video tracks.  It would be awesome if "find script" just took the highest clip that has a script associated, so I wouldn't have to select a track at all! 

But, I'll settle for it just ignoring empty selected tracks.

Avid MC 2022.7 Mac Os Monterey (12.3.1) MacStudio Apple M1 Ultra 128GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 24 2022 12:26 PM In reply to

YesYesYes

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller