Latest post Thu, Aug 4 2022 4:00 PM by dlogneb. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 17 2022 12:07 AM

• mcdannyj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 9 2011
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,105

First thoughts on Titler+ in MC 22.7

Well a tip of the hat to the Titler+ team!

I've just put the 22.7 version of Titler+ through a few tests and I'm happy to say that, honestly, things are starting to look up!

What's Good:

The render time for text clips seems to have been really optimized. At least for me and my system. Seriously. For the show I was just on, I always had a slate at the head of my sequences. 5 seconds long, and it wouldn't play back in real time, plus it took 2+ minutes to render. WTF!?! NOW... rendering a Titler+ text card takes mere seconds. Bravo! Even rendering over video is also muuuch faster. Dunno how the code changed, but if I could insert the Orson Welles applauding GIF here I would. Now for your next trick, could you optimize playback of text cards so that it actually earns that real-time green dot?

The speed of simply typing text is MUCH faster. The cursor no longer disappears if you move it between letters. Whodathunkit? Also optimized is the live font swapping feature. Makes moving through different fonts SO MUCH MORE of a pleasure!

In fact, the whole Titler+ experience feels much smoother and fluid now. Very nice!

What Still Needs Work:

I don't usually need to change text colors, but I always put Titler+ to the test with this function because from the get-go, switching colors has locked up my system. While changing text colors is no longer the crash-inducing nightmare it once was, it's still not fully stable. I can make the Avid crash if I try to change text color one-too-many times, and sometimes the color picker kinda sorta locks up. I think progress has been made, but this feature still needs to be smoothed out.

Undo is still brok. So sad.

What's Missing?

Not much. My text needs are usually pretty minimal, but I've been called upon to make lower thirds on occasion, and while I've figured out where to set the opacity on objects, and text, maybe it would be possible to put text opacity control into the main Titler+ window, and label it as such, rather than keep it in the Effects Editor controls and have it be listed as "Foreground". Nomenclature matters, but you don't need to reinvent the wheel with this tool. Remember the lesson from Apple's FCPX and how they broke the meaning of Projects and Sequences? And while you're at it, text opacity should be granular and adjustable at the individual block of text level. Right now, it seems that all text is treated as "foreground" and if I adjust the foreground opacity on text, it changes it for every piece of text in the card. Not what I want. If you're going to put text controls into the Effects Editor window, then every new piece of text should be considered its own layer (like, I hate to say it... Premiere) and we should be able to tweak it individually. Then the whole keyframing idea (and raison d'être for the dual controls?) would make sense. 

I harped on this in a different post, but I continue to believe that the interface is hampered by having two sets of controls - one that's the main Titler+ window, and one set that resides in the effects editor window. If Titler+ media aren't effects, don't put any controls in the effects editor window... or does Titler+ need the effects editor window so keyframing is possible? That's the only reason I can see for the split at this point. Putting simple centering controls into the main window and giving them the industry standard icons as buttons made life infinitely easier. You could do that with more things, I say.

I also believe that at least on the Mac side, basic commands need to conform to the Mac's global interface... so if I want select all the text in a block of text, I should be able to use the key stroke Command-A like any other text editor. Tell me why we can't have that.

As a whole, I'd say Titler+ is coming into its own. A shame it's taken this long to get the app to this point. This is what should have shipped at the beginning of this titling adventure. 

That said, the past is but prologue. You''re getting much closer, Team Titler+... you're in the ballpark now! I applaud you for all the work you've done. Now keep going! I now really look forward to the next and even better version of Titler+.

2019 Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel 8 Core i9 ● 64 GB RAM ● 32" Asus Proart PA329C Display ● Media Composer 22.7.0 (on Mac OS X 12.4) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 17 2022 12:12 PM In reply to

Re: First thoughts on Titler+ in MC 22.7

Hey, 

Thank you for posting! I will forward this on.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Mon, Jul 18 2022 1:42 PM In reply to

Thanks for all of the great info here, McDannyJ.

Quick question regarding the two separate controls. There are two completely separate groups of people who comment on this. One group of peeps doesn't like having two separate places where controls live. The other group appreciates it because they equate it to the Symphony color correction tools. If Avid took away the Symphony color correction mini-tool, and moved all of its functions into the Effect Editor, there would be blood in the streets. 

So, I'm trying to learn from both groups of people why they like things one way versus another. 

Side note:

Titler+ titles are effects. The whole purpose for that was based on a decade's worth of complaints from customers (here in the forums history, and also from constant conversations at NAB etc) that users hated, hated, hated to have a new media clip created each and every single time they needed to fix even the most minor misspelling of a title; or nudging shapes around 1-pixel this way or that way. So, after a great deal of conversations with editors, the decision was made to move the workflow into the effects realm. That way, they would not only be reproduceable in every new version that gets released (speaks well to backwards compatibility for years to come), but also could eliminate the need to create new media for each change made. 

Speaking of the mini-tool for Titler+... I have a feeling that once we're able to release a version where the Titler+ mini-tool is able to open up in the exact same place every single time (just like the Symphony color correction tool), or even be able to dock it themselves consistently into a workdpace, then a lot of people's issues would evaporate. We're working on it... and we're getting close.

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.7. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12.2 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager

• Mon, Jul 18 2022 2:50 PM In reply to

Chris Bové:
    So, I'm trying to learn from both groups of people why they like things one way versus another.

The way I define it, color correction is not an effect. I understand why it works the way it does, but speaking philosophically there's no reason for there to be a way in effects mode to adjust a color correction applied in color correction mode.

Titles are effects. They should be added like effects, and manipulated like effects, in effects mode.

Again, that's me defining terms the way I see it. Other people may have different views. They are, of course, wrong. (KIDDING!)

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jul 18 2022 5:05 PM In reply to

Also McDannyJ... Note that all of your points you mentioned are indeed in the works. So that's good news too ;) 

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.7. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12.2 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

------

Chris Bové

• Mon, Jul 18 2022 5:57 PM In reply to

• mcdannyj
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,105

Hey Chris!

Forgive me for misremembering but I could swear I read an earlier post of yours where you specifically said that Titler+ titles weren't effects? Did you mean that the old titles created by the Title Tool weren't effects... and now, as you write "Titler+ titles are effects? Okay then!

I have no problem with that philiosophy, and having the controls in two places, so long as the controls actually work. I just went down the warpath on the split controls idea here because Titler+ has been SO not working for me that I've latched onto any possible explanations I could think of to figure out what's been hampering the tool. How I wish I had this version of the Titler+ tool for the show I was just on!

IMHO Avid's dual set of controls is somewhat similar to Premiere's text controls - exposed in both the effects control window, and separately in their graphics/text panel. It's just there's no specific mode in Avid for text creation. Maybe there should be? I think title creation needs it's own workspace where the layout of the windows is optimized for access to the controls, just like with color correction or audio mixing. Not just having a floating tool palate and the effects editor panel opening up. It's like the tool isn't treated with the same level of respect as other functions. But I totally agreee - once the mini-tool (maybe that needs a better name, so people don't think of it as a "lesser" part of the tool?) is dockable, maybe a lot of complaints will go away.

Oh, and I'm glad to read that some of the other suggestions I listed in my prior post are being worked on. YesCool

2019 Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel 8 Core i9 ● 64 GB RAM ● 32" Asus Proart PA329C Display ● Media Composer 22.7.0 (on Mac OS X 12.4) [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 18 2022 6:15 PM In reply to

Hey thanks for replying. Yep, probably just misremembering... or perhaps I explained it very badly before (happens)... because they've definitely always been driven towards the effect editor workflow. 

Yes, pretty much everyone agrees on the idea of title creation being able to be done in its own workspace. There have been physical issues implementing that, because of a lot of code issues... Stuff like:
    - not being able to dock the mini-tool yet into a paneled scenario;
    - the long-standing bug of the mini-tool not being able to physically recall the last exact geographical location it was opened in;
    - the workspaces themselves only recently were recalibrated to accept "last known state" protocols rather than the "last saved state" ones from all of the 2019, 2020, and a few of the 2021 builds.

But now that the new team has been able to focus their attention on fixing things like that, they'll finally be able to funnel all of their work into getting that concept finalized. 

------

Chris Bové

• Mon, Jul 18 2022 6:21 PM In reply to

• mcdannyj
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 81
    • Points 1,105

Ha! You're always very clear in your explanations. I'm sure it was me!

Great to hear the team is on it. Really looking forward to see what they come up with!

• Wed, Jul 20 2022 2:16 PM In reply to

I also want to say that the Title tool is much stabler with 22.7 and seems to be acting as it should under most circumstances.  Changing the spelling of a name no longer gives me anxiety:  the titles don't move around the frame, disappear, change font or size inexplicably, and seem to stay put as I work on other parts of the sequence (even if unrendered).  Having a title does still slow things down, but much less so.  Thanks for the improvements.

Chris: "Speaking of the mini-tool for Titler+... I have a feeling that once we're able to release a version where the Titler+ mini-tool is able to open up in the exact same place every single time (just like the Symphony color correction tool), or even be able to dock it themselves consistently into a workdpace, then a lot of people's issues would evaporate. We're working on it... and we're getting close."

That would make life easier here.

Thanks again for all the effort with this release.

Tom

MC 2022.7 Ultimate/iMac 2019 i9/Mac OS 12.4/128GB RAM/Radeon Pro Vega 48 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 20 2022 2:29 PM In reply to

Thanks, Tom.

The entire Titer+ team is following this forum, so thery are thrilled to see that the work they are doing is being seen.

When any new developments come about, I'll be posting them here. Know that there are indeed more fixes coming, and all good ones. 

------

Chris Bové

• Thu, Jul 21 2022 4:34 PM In reply to

• Editmvp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 3 2008
    • Billings, Montana
    • Posts 170
    • Points 1,985

mcdannyj:
    I think title creation needs it's own workspace where the layout of the windows is optimized for access to the controls, just like with color correction or audio mixing.

I completely agree with mcdannyJ that title creation needs it's own workspace.

Primary System: Media Composer Ultimate 2021.12.x | Avid Artist DNxIO | iMac 2020 i9 10-Core 3.6/128GB/2TB-SSD/Radeon Pro 16GB / OS 10.14.6 | Artist Color... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 21 2022 7:08 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 426
    • Points 5,330

Editmvp:

mcdannyj:
    I think title creation needs it's own workspace where the layout of the windows is optimized for access to the controls, just like with color correction or audio mixing.

I completely agree with mcdannyJ that title creation needs it's own workspace.

+1

Avid MC 2021.12 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m w/ 461.72 driver / BMD UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Thu, Jul 21 2022 9:42 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 369
    • Points 3,955

How about the ability to make boxes with rounded corners the way you could in TT? I know you can make the border round and change the size on it but it doesn't quite work right.

Media Composer 2022.7 / OS 12.5.1 / 27" iMac 5K 2017 [4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 21 2022 9:43 PM In reply to

• jcmcnamee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 369
    • Points 3,955

Also why can't we bring up color picker options vs the eyedropper?

Media Composer 2022.7 / OS 12.5.1 / 27" iMac 5K 2017 [4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB] [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 26 2022 12:41 PM In reply to

Is there any way to upgrade the old title tool to 64 bit ? Seriously is this possible ?

I just make minimal titles like scene missing and shot to come or a head card like show name with TRT etc.

I know PC people can use it. I hate using sub cap and time code generator as a work around. As stated in previuos posts Titler + causes my computer Mac Stdio 2022.4 to run terribly when the cursor approaches in in timeline also crashing colleagues computers.

I would pay extra for it. Seriously.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller