Latest post Wed, Jul 13 2022 6:07 PM by JuanGalva. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 13 2022 6:07 PM

• JuanGalva
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 13 2022
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

AAF export issue after linked audio clips are consolidated

Dear Community,

We are having issues concerning the export of an audio AAF with embedded or copied MediaFiles (MXF) for ProTools.

We are on the MC 2021.9 release (Mac). The workflow we planed for is this:

1. Ingesting of poly-WAVs through linking instead of importing (the TrackID metadata was being dropped upon import)

2. Edit with master clips of synced video (imported MXFs) and audio (linked)

3. Exporting the sequence as AAF "Link to" with audio and video tracks

This allows the sound designer to more or less reconnect the takes in ProTools. However, now Avid is losing connection to some audio clips (they appear offline) every time we open the project. The editor needs to open the corresponding bin so Avid remembers the connection. Which is obviously annoying.

To solve this, we thought of the following workflow adjustment:

1. Consolidating the linked clips to MXF (sync and metadata is respected!)

2. Continue editing with the newly consolidated audio clips and the imported video master clips

3. Exporting the sequence as AAF with audio and video tracks (and the "ProTools protocol" option activated)

At this point, Avid complains and forces us to export a "Link To" AAF, pointing out that there are still some AMA clips present. (I'm sorry, I can't quote the exact error message right now, but will do if this becomes fundamental for troubleshooting). Our goal would be exporting an AAF with "embedded media" or "copy media to folder", with full clips or with handles, so opening the AAF in ProTools is painless.

Now, we made sure that the Avid sequence contains only two already consolidated audio clips. Also, the bin where this sequence lives is free of AMA linked clips. Does anybody have a hint about what may be causing the issue?

We still have two more attempts to do, based on pure speculation: one would be removing the video track entirely and trying again (although the video clips were never linked nor consolidated). The other idea is creating a new Avid project and exporting the sequence from there. Since we can't go ahead and try this right away, I thought I'd ask here.

Thank you very much!

Juan Galva // Post Supervisor

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller