Latest post Wed, Jul 13 2022 9:34 AM by camoscato. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 13 2022 1:03 AM

Copying a bin multiple times

I use bash to handle a lot of workflow challenges. I was wondering if there would be any downside to the following, since I have yet to run into any sort of friendly Avid api:

- Store a "dummy" empty bin somewhere on my computer

- When I need to "create" a new bin, I cp the dummy to a new location in the project and rename it.

I know we copy/paste bins all the time, but it feels dangerous to copy/paste one bin over and over. Is this a bad idea? Thanks all.

Joe

• Wed, Jul 13 2022 9:23 AM In reply to

Re: Copying a bin multiple times

JosephSuzuki44:

I know we copy/paste bins all the time, but it feels dangerous to copy/paste one bin over and over. Is this a bad idea? Thanks all.

I see why some people would say this is a bad idea. 

I would back up my bins somewhere and then copy however much I like.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Wed, Jul 13 2022 9:34 AM In reply to

Re: Copying a bin multiple times

JosephSuzuki44:
    it feels dangerous to copy/paste one bin over and over. Is this a bad idea?

The only disadvantage I can think of is if you needed to open two copies of the dummy bin at the same time Media Composer won't let you because it thinks they're the same bin.

Otherwise I think you're ok. I've been working on a show that's been using the same copy of a template project for nearly 10 years and haven't had any issues.

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller