Latest post Sat, Aug 6 2022 8:53 PM by David Yardley. 42 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 19 2022 1:57 PM

Avid media composer 2018

Hi all, 

Just wondering out of interest how many of us here still run MC 2018? 

What is stopping you from upgrading to a later version, why?

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Sun, Jun 19 2022 2:26 PM In reply to

Re: Avid media composer 2018

Hi Philip,

95% of Greece is still running 2018.12.15. Especially the broadcast and production houses who use Nexis and Mediacentral production. We have one customer that runs 3x 2021.12 suites on Nexis without mediacentral production and some editors who run 202x.x on their home systems.

The reason most do not upgrade or have downgraded back to 2018.12.15 are bugs and performance.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sun, Jun 19 2022 7:30 PM In reply to

I work regularly for two international broadcast news channels. One still hasn't fully gone back into the office, so for them I'm using 2022.4 on my home system. 

The other one is all the way back to normal operations, and they're running 2021.12. They haven't upgraded because they've got a lot of other Avid stuff that needs to be upgraded before they can upgrade the edit suites, but they're planning on doing it.

I don't know anywhere that has stayed on 2018.x.

Media Composer 2022.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jun 19 2022 8:17 PM In reply to

Interesting you say that Jeroen, 

I have this experience too with UK-based facilities, Most of which I have been to are on 2018.12.15.

What sort of bugs/performance issues are you running into? I've got a list of my own which I'm trying to push. Curious to hear about yours.

Editing Movie Magic.

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Sun, Jun 19 2022 8:18 PM In reply to

Great thanks Carl.

Editing Movie Magic.

• Mon, Jun 20 2022 8:27 AM In reply to

Hi Philip,

The big problem in MC 202x.x was dynamic relink. When it was enabled media could go offline for a multitude of reasons. But not all media offline issues were media composer related. Nexis client and media indexer also had bugs causing media to go offline. The large majority of these issues have been solved in december 2021.

On top of these, issues existed in Mediacentral cloud UX 2019/2020/2021. These are unrelated to media composer but Avid in all its wisdom has decided that the latest mediacentral product bundle 2022.3, Cloud UX, mediacentral production, iNews and Maestro, will only be supported with in combination with 2022.3 versions. No backwards compatibility. This makes upgrading a large system difficult as multiple systems will have to be upgraded at the same time overnight and a bug in 1 of them requiring a theoretical roll back of the whole system if possible. Most Avid databases/products do not support rolling back and the process requires extra downtime. So this latest upgrade needs to be prepared/checked with care prior installing and Avid is aware. They only advise customers to upgrade after they check if all workflows/integrations including 3rd party are known not to have issues.

But the main reason for everybody staying on 2018.12.15 are performance issues. It is very difficult to create tangible numbers, but many editors complain that the new media composer versions are more sluggish. They often have to wait when performing bin operations, like saving, opening sequences, etc.. and when performing edit while capture. The feared spinning circles in windows. Avid has also addressed some of these in the latest 2021 Media indexer and Media composer patches but patience of customers is running out.

Simply said, customers want to have their systems upgraded to a version that provides the same or better reliability and performance. Not the believe to be part of a unvoluntary beta testing program not knowing if you will make your next deadlines. And that now puts many in the positition of waiting for a release or bundle of releases that will restore trust. But who is going to do the tests on their systems first to restore trust is a good question.

Eventually the trustworthiness of Avid as a whole becomes a factor.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jun 20 2022 8:09 PM In reply to

The new interface is frustrating for talented film editors who have been using the same interface for nearly 30 years.

What possessed Avid to flip the script and create their version of a FCPX interface change?

It's hideous, cumbersome and clunky. It mirrors what Premiere is today and there's no reason for that. MC is the most robust and rigid software used for video and we liked it that way. Not this wishy washy big blocks for special babies version.

I"ve always said this to people. 

Premiere is like playing with blocks with your thumbs taped to your palms.

Media composer is like building 1/18 scale gas powered remote control race cars then going outside to race them.

This new version is bad. When the interfaces on Premiere even has a media composer keyboard setting... media composer should have a "REVERT to older version of interface" ... or do they no longer care about the people who made them rich?

The old school film editors who just like it to "WORK like it used to"? What about them? Supporting the newest version of media composer is NEVER on my radar. When people ask me I say if you're going to use that, use premier instead. It's way easier to teach people how to use a childs toy than a ferrarri with gadgets nobody cares about.

Hope that helps you choose what most consider the last stable verion of media composer 2018.12.15 instead of the new clunky, candy crush version.

• Mon, Jun 20 2022 8:57 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Hi Philip,

Hey Jeroen, 

Have you reported these issues to Avid? Are they logged? Let me know if you have not.

Editing Movie Magic.

• Mon, Jun 20 2022 9:00 PM In reply to

drjonfrockit:

It's hideous, cumbersome and clunky.

Hey, 

What in particular do you dislike about the latest UI?

The new MC interface does have features and options that emulate the old 2018 versions. 

I am happy to help you set them up. 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 8:29 AM In reply to

Hi Philip,

Yes, cases were created since summer 2021. For the latest upgrade we even had weekly or 2 weeks meetings with our support, services and sales representatives and account managers. Several issues were already fixed in the latest 2021.x.x Media composer and Mediacentral production patches and others are supposedly fixed in Mediacentral production and Mediacentral cloud UX 2022.3.x version and patches and Media composer 2022.4. We still have to test these but the new compatibility matrix (or better lack of backwards compatibility matrix Wink ) is not helping.

Performance related problems are especially difficult when dealing with Avid and support. While this has been an issue for 10-20 years as Avid has always provided limited info on performance figures, the recent fixes presented in the readme's still use terms like: slow, significant slowdown, too long, sporadically slow, a long time (copy pasted out of fixes) which are of course open to perception. Which performance is normal or 'by design' on which hardware and which is not is not something Avid (support) has tools for to diagnose or for Avid to engage in generally. 

The main problem as far as I'm concerned is with Avid being over protective and too positive in their information. As if a sales driven incentive needs to be applied, also to all aspects of the support experience.

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 11:34 AM In reply to

• Rory T
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2018
    • Posts 94
    • Points 1,085

I found this link about making the new UI as much like the old UI as possible.  

https://nerdypup.com/making-avid-media-composer-2021-feel-more-like-classic-avid-2018/   

We have tried to remain on the 2018 version for all the reasons mentioned here.  We ran one job on various versions of the new interface and ran into all types of issues with project lag.  Closing a project and/or opening could take several minutes as did saving.  In this instance I thought it may be down to "bin links" but I have a similar experience with smaller projects but not to the same extent.  

Downgrading to 2018 version generally fixed most issues or at least lessened them.  

Here is the post I made about it at the time.  

https://community.avid.com/forums/p/202462/903500.aspx#903500 

I do have one experienced assistant running 2022 and he likes it but is young and more acceptance of change which we are allo guilty of not being at times.  

Rory

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 12:20 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Hi Philip,

Yes, cases were created since summer 2021. 

Ok great. 

Thanks for contributing

Editing Movie Magic.

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 12:21 PM In reply to

Rory T:

I found this link about making the new UI as much like the old UI as possible.  

Thanks for sending! 

Editing Movie Magic.

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 1:06 PM In reply to

Rory T:
    I do have one experienced assistant running 2022 and he likes it but is young and more acceptance of change which we are allo guilty of not being at times. 

I'm unfortunately also old Wink or at least getting older... but I'm neither in favor or against the new UI. I'm not an editor that has to use it every day for 8 hours and so my opinion doesn't really have a lot of significance.

What I care about is that it is a step forward in all aspects, performance, reliability and functionality. If either of these 3 is compromised I can't consider it a viable upgrade for all of our customers. And neither should Avid.

• Tue, Jun 21 2022 4:28 PM In reply to

can you make it look like this?
    http://earthless.com/mediacomposer

old media composer

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller