Latest post Wed, Sep 21 2022 2:53 AM by Mishal Khan. 17 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 28 2022 6:16 AM In reply to

Re: Why is Avid Media Composer so popular in Hollywood?

I had been video editing for 8 years when Avid was first released. I had started a production company in a small town and edited in those early years with linear edit suites using Sony and Grass Valley edit controllers. 

With the advent of the first NLE's I evaluated all those around at the time. (there was lots of them)  For me Avid was the only one intuitive enough for me to start editing almost immediately. This was a must as there was no internet, no pool of talent to help and the only test media was NTSC. Useless to me in a PAL environment.  So ignoring the fact Avid was several times more expensive than most expensive NLE's available at the time, I went with MC.

Not Intuitive??    After getting my first media into Avid it took about 10 minutes before I start cutting an offline with it. 16MB of RAM did not allow real time playback of any decent resolution. That cut allowed me to export an EDL on a floppy disk which went into the Grass Valley Edit controller. With this EDL the linear online system accurately batch captured from the original UMatic tapes whilst assembling the delivery cut.  The offline cut on the Avid system had taken just under an hour. The linear reassemble took nearly 4 hours. Subsequently EDL based workflows served me well, but boy was I ecstatic when Avid was the one of the first to release a system that allowed me to deliver Broadcast quality edit masters.

My impression is that Avid was intuitive to most Editors who started their careers with analog video or Film. 

These days MC is my till first choice for cutting. After 30 years with Avid here I have had less than 2 days editing downtime caused by the system.    Whats not to like?

• Thu, Apr 28 2022 9:22 AM In reply to

Re: Why is Avid Media Composer so popular in Hollywood?

Hi All,

Let me add some info on a strenght of Avid Media Composer that hasn't been mentioned yet. Like with Premiere, Media Composer is part of a family of products. In Premiere's case litterary everybody knows Photoshop and After Effects and their integration is a default standard in the graphics industry.

Media Composer on the other hand has for over 2 decades now been integrating with Avid Storage starting with Avid Unity followed by Isis and now Nexis, a central media management database called Interplay (now called Mediacentral Production), a newsroom system called iNews (now called Mediacentral Newsroom) and Avid's live playout/ingest systems called airspeed (now being replaced with Fastserve). Avid later also added the Mediacentral UX, now Mediacentral Cloud UX web based editing products, a Media Asset Managament system (MAM) and Avid live Graphics. 

(This list of Avid products is far from complete. Avid made many acquicitions over many years. A list can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avid_Technology. Not all of these were succesful and many products were discontinued. Some reminisce Avid DS, Liquid and Deko)

The integration of Media Composer with these products has always been focussed on mid/large production facilities and broadcasters especially those with daily news shows. And the key goal being to provide efficient collaborative workflows for journalists, editors and creative directors in production or live TV studios. Main competitors in this market were/are Sony and Grass Valley but Avid has been a market leader in this segment.

Avid has always wanted to maintain its position in the production and broadcast market and that has put a big demand on backwards compatibility of Media Composer with older versions and these products it integrates with. Practically you can still open most of the 10-20 year old archived projects and start working straight away. But market pressure, the move from live tv to on demand, has caused Avid to change policies (also very recently) and this backwards compatibility will get less over time. (Not like the FCP 7 -> FCP X move I hope) Many, also in these forums, consider Avid a dinosaur for that reason.

The home editor and educational facilities teaching editing almost always use standalone editing systems sometimes connected to a shared storage and the comparison of Media composer, Premiere, FCP, Vegas, Edius, etc.. is based on that environment. The first time editors use Media composer in a collaborative environment is when they start a job at a production facility or TV station and then 'their eyes are opened'. Unfortunatly not only for the great advantaches Media composer's functionaly has in a Nexis + Interplay + iNews + ... environment but also for the limitation as several of these products are about 20 years old and not all of them evolved over time like they could have.

So, in an answer to the question:

Why is Avid Media Composer so popular in ...? Because Avid has build its products to the specific needs of ...! And in that process it has been a relatively reliable company. It might not be perfect but up until recently Avid has been meeting the demands of ... Question is: Will they be able to continue doing so?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Sep 21 2022 2:53 AM In reply to

Re: Why does the industry use Avid still?

Well done for determining what suits you best. I'm not sure why you shared the remainder of this, though. Are you genuinely seeking information and asking questions, or are you only attempting to arouse debates that you hope will be contentious?

As an Assistant Editor working in a multi-user environment, I can categorically state that Avid is an incredible piece of software—flaws and all.

Since the focus is on the craft rather than the software, none of them are superior to the others. You merely need to learn how to use the programme as a tool to improve your workflow.

I don't think discussions about terrible software are both fascinating and useful.

Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller