Latest post Mon, Jan 10 2022 9:28 PM by jef. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 9 2022 6:46 PM

AMA Link - prevent during Relink?

Apart from manually breaking established links, by changing paths, 

is there a way to prevent a Sequence from ever Relinking to Linked Clips if that's what I want to ensure?

A Setting or Console command, perhaps?

-Telegram!

• Sun, Jan 9 2022 8:18 PM In reply to

Re: AMA Link - prevent during Relink?

Use relink to selected clips in open bins and just don't have those clips selected. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Sun, Jan 9 2022 10:36 PM In reply to

Pat: Thanks for your advice. You always cut right to the chase.

I had first tried using the "default" Relink command - the one where you can dial in the drive where you know your intended mxfs are only on. Different drive from where I usually have my mxfs on -- but it was indeed the same drive my initial links are on. I added an Avid MediaFiles folder with just the mxfs I needed for the Relink.

So a question or two...

When are we supposed to use that "default" drive-specific Relink method? What Relink need/situation is it best used  for?

Is it known for prioritizing Relinks to mxfs vs. Linked files, when both are present? I would expect so.

As a rule, my sequences never use Linked clips. And I normally wouldn't use my Linked / raw footage drive to also hold an Avid MediaFiles folder.

I am going to chalk this up to a fluke, and my moving mxf files following a crash. Mea Culpa.

I am so glad we have a Tineline View to show the presence of Linked Clips in a separate color, which is how I verified it.

Separate question:

In practice, I usually leave my Links "hidden" via Set Bin Display, but left in the same bin as their consolidates or transcodes. Just using the feature.

I don't usually need to use Relink-- I have an all online quality HD workflow, with no proxies.
    If and when I do follow your advice about Relinking, i.e. If I use "Select All" from open Bins, would my "hidden" Links also be selected, even though they're invisible?

Much thanks, happy 2022...

-Telegram!

• Sun, Jan 9 2022 11:10 PM In reply to

I don't often have cause to use the default relink. I've only used it when I have proxy and finishing quality MXF files online and I need to force a sequence to one or the other. 

Yes my experience is that Avid MXF files always get selected first. 

I'd hide Avid MXF files to be sure relink used AMA files. 

I'd expect hidden clips on a bin not to be selected in a select all but easy to test. Hide them select all then unhide. Are they selected. 

But generally I keep linked files and native MXF in desperate bins. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

• Mon, Jan 10 2022 12:10 AM In reply to

Good points, all. Always worthwhile getting info from you. 

I do like being able to cut/paste column info inside a single inter-leaved bin of alternating Links and Clips. Good way to discover any missing stuff too, when using Alternating Color for Links vs. Transcodes/Consolidates.
    Maybe I'll get in the habit of stashing them once I'm done with all that...

Good tip on default Relink usage. Thanks again.

-Telegram!

• Mon, Jan 10 2022 12:46 PM In reply to

When I'm ingesting I link clips to a bin.

Select all the clips and colour them. 

Then start the background transcode.

The .new clips immediately appear in the same bin.

I then use the reverse selection to have all those clips selected and colour those and then move to a new bin.

The count of clips in the linked bin and the transcoded bin confirms I have them all.

I then just need to check all the transcoded clips actually complete their transcode. But as MC has already made the master clip if the transcode fails I can see what clips have no media so easy to go back and fire a transcode off manually.

AMA linked clips get filed in an AMA sources folder and the native media clips get used in the edit.

It helps keep bins smaller and less risk of accidentally cutting a linked clip into a sequence.

• Mon, Jan 10 2022 2:28 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

When I'm ingesting I link clips to a bin.

Select all the clips and colour them. 

Then start the background transcode.

The .new clips immediately appear in the same bin.

I then use the reverse selection to have all those clips selected and colour those and then move to a new bin.

The count of clips in the linked bin and the transcoded bin confirms I have them all.

I then just need to check all the transcoded clips actually complete their transcode. But as MC has already made the master clip if the transcode fails I can see what clips have no media so easy to go back and fire a transcode off manually.

AMA linked clips get filed in an AMA sources folder and the native media clips get used in the edit.

It helps keep bins smaller and less risk of accidentally cutting a linked clip into a sequence.

Appreciate you sharing your workflow. For me, it raises questions but with the understanding that systems and personal preferences, editors jobs and schedules are always different and that's that. 

Do you use always use Transcode even if a Consolidate from a Link is available? Or were you just leaving out that category of ingest in your above explanation?

Whenever I am forced to do a Transcode and if I remember, I color those clips differently from Consolidated clips. Or Imported Clips. 

I have yet to notice a Column heading on a Transcode that differentiates it from a Consolidate. They both deposit a ".new" is that right?

I guess that's why I like having all my clips- the Links and their Consolidate/Transcodes interleaved in one bin. I can see why I needed a Transcode, by looking at Columns in its Link. It may be important down the road.

Is there any way to know if a clip was Consolidated vs. Transcoded, besides placing it in a separate bin? 

What's an example of a reason to Transcode vs. Consolidate when both are available?

-Telegram!

• Mon, Jan 10 2022 2:39 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,085
    • Points 49,285

Telegram!:

What's an example of a reason to Transcode vs. Consolidate when both are available?

Consolidate is the best way to get media into Avid as it is not changing the essence of the media at all.  It is just taking it out of whatever container the camera put it into and placing it into a container which Avid uses.  So zero quality change, faster processing, no size change.  Not all codecs can be Consolidated.

Transcode is changing the media essence.  This may not mean much but there it is.  It takes longer.  Size can change - both smaller or larger depending on codec choice to transcode to.  Not all codecs can be Transcoded (by Avid).

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Mon, Jan 10 2022 2:52 PM In reply to

I typically work in Broadcast on longer form work and that almost always uses an offline Proxy workflow so it would make no sense to consolidate as the camera source datarate would eat up storage and limit realtime playback.

So in that senario there will always be a conform back to the camera sources so I don't have to worry about what or how things are transcoded.

But yes if you are doing a direct online and can cope with the source codec a consolidate is cleaner. That said if you need to work from various formats its easier to transcode to a high datarate codec and have all media in the same codec.

Generally any codec you can Transcode to can be consolidated from.  

• Mon, Jan 10 2022 2:57 PM In reply to

I'm going to have to get back to you on that last sentence. But thanks for the quick reply.

What about that ".new" question? Am I right or wrong? Does the Transcode have any kind of flag? vs consolidate if the Go-to Codec would have been the same?

-Telegram!

• Mon, Jan 10 2022 3:01 PM In reply to

Thanks Jef, what is an example of a non-importable, non-Transcodable codec that one might encounter and where do you take  it to?

-Telegram!

• Mon, Jan 10 2022 3:35 PM In reply to

As far as I'm aware there is no metadata (that a user can access) that relates to how the media was created (Transcode or Consolidate)

You can't consolidate H264 as an example I don't think you can consolidate any Long GOP formats (but could be wrong)

As the Import processes have had less attention over the last few years you tend to find that importing is more restrictive.

If importing recognised the codec it would offer to fast import (effectively consolidate) If it didn't then your import would be a transcode to your media creation codec choice.

• Mon, Jan 10 2022 4:24 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,085
    • Points 49,285

Pat Horridge:

Pat, I find that sentence confusing. Not really sure what you mean.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Mon, Jan 10 2022 4:29 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,085
    • Points 49,285

Can not think of one of the top of my head, but I do remember situations such as this.  Like maybe an early version of Sony's SAVC or XAVC?  Had to take it to something beyond Avid for awhile.  Then Avid fixed something.

I think this is a fluid situation which does not show up all the time.  It is based on what Avid currently can link to, what third partys are making AMA tools for and what the mad scientists are coming up with.

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Mon, Jan 10 2022 4:38 PM In reply to

jef:

Pat Horridge:

Pat, I find that sentence confusing. Not really sure what you mean.

Jef

If the codec is listd in the media creation options inside Media Composer then its likely you can consolidate that codec.

So ProRes Avid DNx etc. Those supported codecs are the only options you can transcode to. If a codec isn't listed as an option to transcode to you likely can't consolidate that codec.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller