Latest post Mon, Dec 20 2021 11:11 PM by Telegram!. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 16 2021 10:42 PM

Please change this *** interface!!

I'm sure there will be varying opinions on this but I must have a rant after downloading 2021.12.

Please return the full set of interface brightness choices that you had in 2018. There were 6 choices of light to dark grey and now there are only 4. While you're at it please match the Highlight colours back to how they were. None of the new interface settings feel right. They're either too dark or too bright.  Is there no way to install some sort of legacy skin so this thing doesn't look like a migraine?

And please, please, just get rid of all the random "docking" things that bins and other panels now do, it is so counterproductive to have to figure out which part you drag it to and which modifier you are supposed to be holding down, it has made something simple and elegant in to a hot mess of randomly ending up with completely bizarre bin configurations like one large and then two squashed beneath it or one giant bin docked behind everything else. Why would I want to tab a bin in to my composer window? I hate what you have done with the interface, it's truly truly horrible and you should strongly consider changing it. There is too much choice and it has not been done in a user-friendly way. How on earth do you re-tab a bin once you have floated it?? This should not be so taxxing! Turns out you have to hold down Alt? Why??

Sorry that all I do is moan on these forums but I am using 2018 every day and when I open up 2021 it is just so apparent. The way you can only float a bin by dragging it loose inside the current set of bins and not by dragging it to free space makes no sense. Your first intuition is to do like you do in 2018 which is to drag to free space. Then as soon as I do float it, it defaults back to having the pointless sidebar open and there is still no setting to turn this off by default?

Please Avid, give me the old ways. Stop all this rubbish interface tweaking, it's too much and it's not needed. I don't need you to spend time adding grids to frame view. I honestly don't know what is going on but the direction the UI has gone is incredibly frustrating. Changes for the sake of changes is not a good design philosophy.  If I have to think AT ALL to do something as simple as tab a bin or float a bin, then you have failed at your job. 

How do others feel about all the tabbing and docking and sidebars and Alt-ing and not alt-ing? Is it just me?

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 16 2021 11:19 PM In reply to

Re: Please change this *** interface!!

ripvanmarlowe:
    How do others feel about all the tabbing and docking and sidebars and Alt-ing and not alt-ing?

I've been working on Media Composer since 1997. It took a little while (less than half a day) to get used to the changes in 2021.x, and now I think it's fine. To me it felt like an evolution rather than a massive change. 

I like being able to tab my bins because I put them into different groups of bins for similar purposes. I don't notice the sidebars until I want to use something that I've docked with something else (I have the effect palette docked with the effect editor, for example).

I'm not a fanboy; I think there are things Avid could improve, and I'm still amazed that Titler+ ever saw the light of day, but all in all I still think Media Composer is the best NLE there is.

Media Composer 2022.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Dec 17 2021 12:16 AM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:
    How do others feel about all the tabbing and docking and sidebars and Alt-ing and not alt-ing? Is it just me?

Took a little adjustment but I like the new interface. Needs improvements, but so did the old one.

MC 2022, W11, ASUS z690m, Intel 13900K, Gigabyte 3080Ti Waterforce, 128GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Big... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 17 2021 12:19 AM In reply to

I've said this before here; I don't get the barrage Avid gets about the new interface. I find it intuitive.

I find a floating project and bin window counterproductive. It's annoying to have them both suck up my screen space as seperate windows. Also with floating windows I can never quite get all of my windows aligned perfectly - but hey - I learned MC on 2019 and only ever use 2018 when I'm at a london based post house. See what I mean? It's all down to personal preference. 

I've already put the highlight colours and interface brightness settings through as feature requests. 

Just set your workspaces up and don't touch them, You won't have to faff around with docking then :) 

camoscato:

'Why does Avid keep changing Media Composer to be more like Premiere? It's all brightly coloured tracks and icons to attract millennials! I hate it! Go back to v2018! It was perfect!' '

đŸ˜‰

LOL

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.7 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.7 | Avid Play | Sibelius Artist 2022.7

• Fri, Dec 17 2021 10:13 AM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:
    match the Highlight colours back to how they were
    Pretty sure I set mine back manually.

ripvanmarlowe:
    How do others feel about all the tabbing and docking and sidebars and Alt-ing and not alt-ing?

I hardly use it. Mostly floating everything except for a few tools that I have stacked. I find the docking/undocking process hard to get my head around. I have also found that docking the timeline and the S/R monitors meant I could never get a normally scaled S/R monitor. And that would hide any windows behind them. So 'Float all Windows' has been my go-to command.

I've said it many times before, I feel Avid should have provided a 2019/20/21 user profile that mimics a default user from v2018. That way, everyone could just build from there. With Mojave being end-of-support, and 21.12 bringing M1 support, many folks will have to move to the new interface. Such a profile might help them migrate.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 17 2021 10:14 AM In reply to

• CinĂ©Matica
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 271
    • Points 3,235

ripvanmarlowe:

Please return the full set of interface brightness choices that you had in 2018. There were 6 choices of light to dark grey and now there are only 4. While you're at it please match the Highlight colours back to how they were. None of the new interface settings feel right. They're either too dark or too bright.  Is there no way to install some sort of legacy skin so this thing doesn't look like a migraine?

+1

The old pre-2019 interface brightness was indeed much better then that what we have now. I also cannot get used to it. After staring at it for the whole day my aging eyes start hurting at the end of the day. It's hard to understand that there isn't a variable brightness scheme for the interface so that everyone can make up his own choice on how dark or bright she/he wants it.

[AVID 1] HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 17 2021 1:20 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    Pretty sure I set mine back manually.

The colours are slightly different Job. There's a shade of blue that works really well in 2018 but is not quite as legible in 2021. It seems picky but it made things much clearer to see and staring at the new interface yesterday I was getting eye fatigue really quickly. The contrast is too much for me. I don't understand why we can't have more options for that. Avid seems so keen to allow us to tweak every other setting that surely just giving us more control over interface colours is a no-brainer? I'm sure I remember the old versions (old like version 2,3 4,5 etc) having basically endless interface colour settings? Maybe I'm misremembering but one of my editors had this headache-inducing black, pink and neon green setup so I'm sure you could.

On top of that the brightness of the timeline text seems tied to the shade or grey you use, so if you use a lighter background the text turns black and a darker one turns it white. But I'd like more control over that as I don't like the black lettering. 

I'll play around with float all windows. There's too much faff with all the docking stuff and those "docking" indicators that keep popping up every time I hover over a part of the interface are also infuriating. I want to be able to strip all that stuff away, it doesn't add anything to my experience. I'm wrestling too much with the interface.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 17 2021 1:25 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 686
    • Points 8,315

Dom Q. Silverio:

ripvanmarlowe:

Took a little adjustment but I like the new interface. Needs improvements, but so did the old one.

Just finished up a couple of projects using the new interface, still getting use to it as I keep adding more keyboard shortcuts but yes I like it.

HP-Z6-G4 Workstation, 1-Xeon 4216 16 core processor, 64GB 2933MHz DDR4 ECC Memory, P4000 GPU, 512GB NVMe 1TB NVMe, Thunderbolt 3 controller, 1 Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 20 2021 11:11 PM In reply to

Once you set up and perfect your custom Workspaces, it's a dream. Not saying it is fast or easy, but that's probably what and who the presets in the strip on the right are for, when it is too much too soon. 

I understand eye strain. There's plenty of adjustments available for the interface, so make sure to find them scattered in various Settings. The Interface Setting has a Timeline tab including "Blending", and other various brightness tweakables exist, plus my new favorite, easily missed in Timeline > Fast Menu = Segment Highlight Color option for custom vs. default. We can now make an ultra bright white using it, which is my current setting that is brighter than the Default white highlight. Same with Marked Regions.

The point Job made about Floating Composer is right on the money, as usual. It all depends on your kind of work and size/number of displays you use. I am on a laptop-size display and that's where docking/ paneling/ tabbing excels... everything except Composer. So I say just figure out if you are content with All Floating, All Docked, or any combo. If and when you accidentally engage the Green docking mode, just hit the Escape key while dragging to get back.

A tip: start off learning the UI slowly by using Float All Bins, watch what happens to an existing Project as you close down all Bins & Tools, one by one, shrinking your Project down to Composer-only... it is instructive.

Then playing around with docking one other Tool or Bin to Composer.. there are only so many choices...it is much easier to see what's going on, imo. That and understanding the Workspace settings, including "Save Current" which I have mapped as clickable icon in all Workspaces.

Merry Christmas.

-Telegram!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller