Latest post Wed, Dec 8 2021 9:10 PM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 7 2021 8:37 PM

• ericswanson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Texas
    • Posts 58
    • Points 780

Trying to renew support for MC perpetual license with Symphony

Following the online help, I login to Avid, go to My Products, click on "Media Composer | Software (Crossgrade from Symphony)" and see my "software updates + support plan" expired a few days ago. There is no section to renew (as shown in the help pages) just a graphic of a monitor and a link to "Check out Plugins...".

Everything I've tried on avid.com always brings me back to the "My Products" page with no way to renew.

I see in the app Avid Link -> Marketplace I can attempt to purchase a MC 1-Year subscription, but I don't know if that is a new license (i.e. WITHOUT Symphony) or a renewal of my current license which includes Symphony.

I've tried the robo-chat and also contacting a real person through chat but no agents are ever available.

Thankfully MC still works for me, I just won't get updates without my renewal.

Can anybody from Avid help?

Thanks!

Editing on an iMac Pro [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Dec 7 2021 8:52 PM In reply to

Re: Trying to renew support for MC perpetual license with Symphony

You should see the option to renew under Media Composer Perpetual in your product list. The option to renew may not show when Auto-Renewal is set to ON. If you switch that off, you should see an option to renew your Perpetual license.

To be clear: Symphony for a long time has not been a standalone product, but rather an add-on option for Media Composer. It is also _included_ with MC Ultimate, a subscription (vs. a perpetual license).

So if you currently own a perpetual Media Composer plus the Symphony option, and want to keep updating that, all you have to do is renew your annual support contract. You have a 30-day grace period from the moment your support contract expired, so there is time.

That support renewal has gone up in price from 299 to 399 (a few years ago) and now to 499 this year. That makes it a tough call whether A. to keep your existing perpetual license under support, or B. crossgrade to a subscription to Ultimate (you get a small discount when you do).

And to make it even more complicated, if you do not need shared bins/projects, don't have a dongle or don't need to keep a dongle, you could also let your perpetual license lapse and as soon as you want to upgrade, get an MC Standard subscription (normally 239, now for a promotional price of 199), and use your existing Symphony option with that, since you already own the Symphony option (as a perpetual license).

That said, Videoguys currently still has 'regular' renewals for 385 USD, so that could work for at least this year. Also note that you can stack these, so you could buy two or three renewals for 385 now, and extend your support contract for two or three years in one swoop.

If you want to see the net cost of crosscrading versus keeping your licens under support, this PDF might help.

And if you need more information than that, you may want to reach out to Chris Bove (chris.bove@avid.com).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 8 2021 9:05 PM In reply to

• ericswanson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Texas
    • Posts 58
    • Points 780

Thanks Job ter Burg, for your help.

What I see on my screen was a little different than you described. It is possible my perpetual licence expired last year and I just got an annual one because I see two different licenses (an annual one and a perpetual one).

Anyway, I decided to buy a standard annual license via Avid Link for $190. As feared, it gave me a new System ID and deactivated my perpetual Symphony option. However I got it to work again by entering my new System ID plus my OLD perpetual Symphony Activation ID into Avid Link and now I have everything back working as it should (as far as I can tell).

Thanks again for your help.

Editing on an iMac Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 8 2021 9:10 PM In reply to

Awesome, great to hear you're up and running again.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller