Latest post Thu, Jul 6 2017 10:05 PM by alara. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 24 2017 5:49 PM

• alara
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Madrid. Spain
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,480

Problems with export. The option to “Keep as” effectively expands to full RGB

We have installed a new machine (changing from Mac to PC windows 7), and new avid version 8.6.5.

We have started a new project, a film feature shot in an Alexa Mini, in Arriraw. The DIT, which is an excellent professional, is going to transcode on set, and is giving us DNx36 mxfs.

The import process is ok. Well, we cannot import the mxf directly. We must link them and then consolidate. But the image is ok.

The problem start when we export, because even with the “Keep levels as” option ticked, the image gets expanded to full RGB. And that is a problem because the image is already a full RGB so it gets too expanded. We have solved the problem, applying a Source settings lut (full RGB to video levels) to compensate for the “compulsory export lut”.

Anyone has seen something similar? Are we doing something wrong?We have done many tests and cannot find a clue. Besides, We have been plagued with inconsistent QuickTime behavior, which makes the same archive display differently in each machine (and I am not talking about the aspect of the image, but changes in the RGB values of the pixels). 

Thanks for any suggestion.

As a teacher: Media Composer 8 software only, in a pc world. www.urjc.es And also in a MacBookPro 17 mid 2010. Mac Os 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 30 2017 2:09 PM In reply to

Re: Problems with export. The option to “Keep as” effectively expands to full RGB

When you export are you using Same as Source or choosing the custom option?

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Fri, Jun 30 2017 7:56 PM In reply to

• alara
    • Not Ranked
    • Madrid. Spain
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,480

Re: Problems with export. The option to “Keep as” effectively expands to full RGB

Custom. they are h264 quicktimes archives. 

As a teacher: Media Composer 8 software only, in a pc world. www.urjc.es And also in a MacBookPro 17 mid 2010. Mac Os 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 4 2017 12:34 PM In reply to

• MattB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, May 9 2006
    • Shepperton, UK
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,630

My understanding is the the 'Keep as Legal range' doesnt change anything because Avid assumes all the media is legal in the first place (ie in Rec709 terms within the 16-235 range), So I would say you are doing the right thing. 

However, if you were to set it to 'Scale from legal to full' it still doesnt actually change the values of the files, just sets a 'flag' somewhere in the metadata that tells other apps downstream (players, encoders etc.) whether or not to expand the range. I think that this flag is not always recognised by some apps.

I use Squeeze fairly often, but still find it confusing deciding whether or not to check that color levels export box - the output from squeeze frequently looks different depending on which player I'm using to preview; VLC, Windows Media or Quicktime.

I suspect the H264 export you are doing is taking what it believes to be a colour-legal file (although actually RGB/full swing) and it is the app applying the range expansion, not the Avid export.

Look at the settings of the export (H264) codec to see if there is an option to specify.

MattB

Edit 1:- Intel Core i9 7900X msi x299-SLI-plus mobo 64GB DDR4 3000Mhx memory NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (Nvidia driver 441.12) Samsung 860PRO SSD 512GB system... [view my complete system specs]

Matt B

• Tue, Jul 4 2017 1:17 PM In reply to

Once you move away from Same As Source all bets are of. Its then down to the QT backend to decide how to handle things.

yes keep as Legal shouldn't change anything it basically passes across levels as they are. But they could of course be full range within MC if ingested or graded like that.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

• Thu, Jul 6 2017 10:05 PM In reply to

• alara
    • Not Ranked
    • Madrid. Spain
    • Posts 114
    • Points 1,480

Thank you both. 

I wll make some tests with same as source, just for the sake of curiosity. We do not have sorenson now, and so that is why we chose the direct from avid route. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller