Latest post Fri, Apr 24 2015 9:21 AM by OleksiiK. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 24 2015 5:35 AM

• Vijeta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 8 2014
    • Posts 9
    • Points 145

How to detect Color Space Information Of encoded DNxHD Stream

We are  using Avid DNxHD Codec for decoding DNnHD content.Right now
    We want to detect color space information for the encoded DNxHD Stream.
    I have found out there is no API mentioned in SDK manual for fetching the
    same information.
    Is there any way for the decoder to fetch this specific information ?

Apart from that I have an observation that for MOV files containing DNxHD , there are
    three boxes silently being written for those.'ACLR' , ARES and APRG. As per the information
     on internet ACLR is Avid's specific color box information.A value of 1 for ACLR box represents
    709 and 0 represents RGB. Is this interpretation correct ? Can we rely on this information ?

Atlast one more clarification, in case the stream is encoded in RGB color space, and if I want
    to fetch the information in same color space, Do I need to set the m_colorSpace of UncompressedInfo
    structure to CS_RGB ?

• Fri, Apr 24 2015 7:27 AM In reply to

Re: How to detect Color Space Information Of encoded DNxHD Stream

From operation experience I'd say you can't rely on any flagging re color space. Sadly too many other proccesses get it wrong for it to be reliable.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
  • Fri, Apr 24 2015 9:21 AM In reply to

• OleksiiK
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 23 2013
    • Posts 25
    • Points 270
    • Avid Developer Moderator

Re: How to detect Color Space Information Of encoded DNxHD Stream

Vijeta,

ACLR atom is used to set how colorspace transforms RGB<->YCbCr_709 are performed by setting color mapping of the RGB colorspace described by the following structure:

struct colorMappingTypeExtension {

UInt32  idSize;        // 24

OSType  extensionType; // 'ACLR'

OSType  id;            // 'ACLR'

UInt32  version;       // '0001'

// 1: CCIR (supercolors will be dropped, 16 will be displayed as black)

// 2: FullRange (0 will be displayed as black, 16 will be displayed as dark grey)

UInt32  decodeColorMapping;

UInt32  reserved;       // must be 0

};

This information wasn't officially published, but it is open. Be aware, that value 0 of the decodeColorMappping field is invalid.

About second question. DNx444 stores RGB encoded data, while all other DNx compressions store YCbCr. With DNxSDK you can obtain uncompressed video in any colorspace. To do so you need to set m_colorSpace value to the desired colr sapce and set a valid m_colorComponentOrder. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller