Latest post Tue, Nov 1 2016 11:14 AM by Joe Bell. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 6 2014 1:52 PM

• Matt Wielgos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 6 2012
    • Cincinnati, Ohio
    • Posts 36
    • Points 510

Import specific audio tracks into Media Composer

Here is a simple problem which likely has a simple answer, but it is eluding me.  We have footage shot on a Sony 4K camera.  When importing the footage into Avid, Avid takes the video plus the 8 audio tracks from the camera.  I only have audio on one of those tracks.  Is there a way in Media Composer to specify how many tracks of audio to import and indicate which of the 8 tracks I wish to import?

System 1: Avid Media Composer 8.0.1, Windows 7 64 bit Pro, SP1, Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU @2.20 Ghz. 16 GB ram. NVidia NVS 4200M w/drv. 9.18.13.2078. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 6 2014 2:09 PM In reply to

Re: Import specific audio tracks into Media Composer

Can you not AMA link?

Then subclip with just the tracks you need.

Then transcode?

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
  • Thu, Nov 6 2014 6:32 PM In reply to

Or Import (all 8 tracks) Select all the clips and use Modify to V1 and the Audio track(s) you want (A3 for instance) only 

You may have to use the Unlink option before Modiying) and Relink option afterwards.  (when you first try to Modify Avid will pop up a message box if you need to Unlink)

The Unlink and Relink have been 100% reliable for me here for years though I will probably still test on one file before doing them all.  It is a very simple and fast process.

For me this method has the advantage of not having to work with sub clips and transcoding.  The process is also completely reversible at any time in the future. The disadvantage is that even though you do not see any of the discarded audio tracks as part of  your clips their descriptors are still in your MXF folder. (hence the ability to subsequently Modify your clip back to using one or more of the "discarded" tracks)

• Fri, Nov 7 2014 11:50 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 944
    • Points 12,050

or...

just delete the associated media for audio tracks 2-8 of the imported/transcoded clips. Advantage of doing it this way is that (on larger projects) with Avid producing nine files per clip, it doesn't take long to hit the MXF 1 folder limit of 4500 to 5000 files. I know Avid then creates a MXF 2 folder, but it just makes backing up the media all the more of a pain with all the unecessary files filled with silence.

Disadvantage is that you'll still have all the tracks shown in the master clip (albeit, most of them offline) which might be a bit annoying whilst editing.

Bruno

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Nov 9 2014 2:08 PM In reply to

You might find this useful: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=50.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 1 2016 8:55 AM In reply to

• Joe Bell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 29 2011
    • Nottingham, UK
    • Posts 14
    • Points 145

Pat Horridge:

Can you not AMA link?

Then subclip with just the tracks you need.

Then transcode?

Coming back to avid after 7 years away, can anyone break this down for me? The media is on XDCAM Disc.

Avid MC DS on Trashcan, Avid MC on a couple more Trashcans, Avid MC on a 2011 Mac Pro, PC Workstation & 2010 Mac Pro at home [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 1 2016 11:12 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 646
    • Points 7,760

make a folder on hdd for your shoot.

make subfolders for each disc, copy discs. only XDCAM in this folder, store audio recorder ect seperately.

make a "collection" bin, ama link the top folder, all clips appear in collection bin.

unlink all clips (yes, offline) (crtl+shift+right click, MC 8.6: just right click)

modify clips-> set tracks. loose tracks 5 to 8 (always empty).

make a "delete bin", ama link the top folder again, your "collection" bin gets relinked.

consolidate "collection" bin w. option "Relink native Master clips..."

in the collection bin delete all .old clips

delete "delete" bin.

(even tidier? put all clips on a timeline, go settings-> audio->output-> and set from stereo to direct. spot tests for identical, empty audio tracks. supress tracks via unlink, set tracks, relink.)

sort "collection" bin by source path, redsistribute clips however u need them.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 1 2016 11:14 AM In reply to

• Joe Bell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 29 2011
    • Nottingham, UK
    • Posts 14
    • Points 145

Awesome, thanks very much Lukas

Avid MC DS on Trashcan, Avid MC on a couple more Trashcans, Avid MC on a 2011 Mac Pro, PC Workstation & 2010 Mac Pro at home [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller