Latest post Mon, Oct 20 2014 2:49 PM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 15 2014 8:20 PM

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 12 2010
    • Lock Haven, Pa
    • Posts 63
    • Points 1,115

Audio imports

I'm trying to figure out exactly what's going on and maybe come up with the correct method for properly importing audio files. 

A colleague of mine imported some audio tracks from an unknown source.  The project sample rate is 48K and sometimes when playing these clips the speed changes and it sounds like it has a wobble.  Figuring it was a mis-matched sample rate I changed the setting on the audio tab of the import function to not change sample rates (top two boxes are unchecked)upon import.  They are imported as DNxHD 145 and I noticed when I imported them a second time that they are now labled as 44.1K.  First time playing them back they sounded good.  Tried a few more times and I began to notice the wobble came back.  Changed the project audio rate to 44.1 and they sounded okay again.  Problem is that there are many other components in the project and all of them are recorded at 48K, so changing the project rate is not the answer.

I have tried just clicking on the clip and select "change sample rate" and even at "high and slow" the clips still get a wobble in them and sound horrible. 

What's the correct method of combining dis-simular sample rate audio clips into the same project while retaining their original sound quality?  Should I be importing them at 1:1 MXF or maybe even 1:1 10 bit MXF?

HP SB-Z400 Workstation, Intel® Xeon® Six-Core Processor W3680 3.33 GHz, 12 MB cache, 1333 MHz memory, 12GB RAM, PNY-1 FX4800 video card, Windows 7 Pro... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Mon, Oct 20 2014 2:49 PM In reply to

Re: Audio imports

Two options. Import and force to project sample rate. That should make 48Khz audio and it shouldn't change how it plays.

Or import at 44.1 and transcode to 48Khz again you then have 48Khz audio.

The only issue with playback I've ever come across is when you have 44.1 audio being converted to 48Khz during playback (on the fly conversion)

If you media is 48Khz but plays back unreliably then I'd suspect another issue.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller