Latest post Fri, Jul 11 2014 8:47 AM by Per-Erik Österlund. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 10 2014 11:13 AM

Unfortunate install of System Director on expension chassi

Hi all

I got a call from a old costumer who upgraded from 3.2 to 4.7 in the step you should, with the different versions in different steps. The only thing he did completely wrong was to install System Director on the expension chassi instead of the right one. He realized the misstake and started the install again and choosed the Expension install, which then un-installed the System Director and so on.

But now the original System Director cannot find the Storage Managers, they both says orphened... I asked him if he made backups of Partition1, Partition2 and PartitionDump.bin, but sadly no...

There is PartitionDump.bin.xxxxxxxx files and I know which one was saved before sthe system went bananas, but I don't know what to recommend. He has tried to call Avid Support but huge trouble to get right people to answer.

In the Storage Manager Memory Log Viewer I can see that the bind for the two Storage Managers are still correct:

This Storage Manager (main) bound as SM000 ( 1, 0) ..disk set of 3 disks bound as SE000 ( 1, 0)

This Storage Manager (expension) bound as SM001 ( 1, 0) ..disk set of 3 disks bound as SE001 ( 1, 0)

He will continue to try to get valid Avid support, but until then, is anyone has some input?

1 x ISIS 5000 64TB, 1 x ISIS 5000 32TB, 1 x MediaEngine Unity 32TB 1 x Symphony Nitris on HP Z800, 29 x Media Composer on HP Z400 (5.0.4 to 5.5.3.2 -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 10 2014 4:16 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,415
    • Points 29,965
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Unfortunate install of System Director on expension chassi

I don't believe this has anything to do with installing the System Director on the Expansion Chassis.

If he looks in the Management Console, does he see the workspaces?

He needs to find the PartitionDump.bin from v3.2 prior to all the upgrading but we've made some changes in v4.7 around loading old PartitionDump.bin files. Because of this, it's very important that he calls into support to help resolve this.

My only conjecture is that a new file system was created.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Jul 11 2014 8:47 AM In reply to

Re: Unfortunate install of System Director on expension chassi

Hi Bob

Thanks for the response! You can emagine that we are a bit nervous... I'm in contact with Avid Support, to Sasha in Germany and he forwarded this to Simon Dorricott. They are on it now, so I keep my fingers crossed, very much...

1 x ISIS 5000 64TB, 1 x ISIS 5000 32TB, 1 x MediaEngine Unity 32TB 1 x Symphony Nitris on HP Z800, 29 x Media Composer on HP Z400 (5.0.4 to 5.5.3.2 -... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller