Latest post Mon, Oct 20 2014 7:39 PM by Wim Van den Broeck. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 8 2014 11:41 AM

Avid feeds in application manager

Could be a dumb question but... As far as I can see there is no way to remove articles in the feeds list inside the application manager. Will deletion of articles be managed by the user, Avid or will we have hundreds of articles in there in a years time?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Jun 9 2014 12:55 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,040
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid feeds in application manager

Hi Jeroen,

Currently, articles in the Feeds tab have an expiration date set when they are published. They automatically remove themselves once they reach their expiration date. It might be a year out or a month out depending on the article.

Whether user-controlled management of the articles in the Feeds tab is on the roadmap with Product Management, I'm not sure. But I can sure bring up the idea with the team.

AK

Sr. Director | Customer Experience [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 9 2014 2:13 PM In reply to

I vote for user management.

Media Composer 2022.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jun 9 2014 8:09 PM In reply to

Thanks Adam.

I don't mind not having control but considering the layout I wonder how much people are going to scroll through the items if the list becomes long and is also filled with marketing info. 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Jul 25 2014 11:14 PM In reply to

• Mike Wolf
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,630

User management please. Also an option to only receive feeds on topics I will read. No need for any Sebelius or ProTools info for me. I don't do any sound work. All picture editing/finishing.

artist•technician / Great Eyes / Symphony & Resolve / Resolve Mini Panel / Big Sur [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 26 2014 7:50 PM In reply to

Michael Wolf:
    No need for any Sebelius or ProTools info for me.
    In the Application Manager\Feeds try changing "Show all" to just what you want. I also removed the Application Manager from my task bar and now do not have any (super annoying) feeds show up anymore.

• Sun, Jul 27 2014 3:54 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    (super annoying) feeds

I also believe these feeds inside the application manager is a marketing attempt going wrong. Avid, if somebody wants to be continuously informed about news they subscribe to a newsletter and receive these by mail. A communication method used by many companies for years.

It's not that I do not see any use for feeds, but then you need to either customize them to the users needs or allow the user to customize them to his/her needs. What I see now is just plain stupid.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Jul 27 2014 7:06 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    What I see now is just plain stupid.
    Maybe I am getting long in the tooth as indicated by my trusty old Post Office mail box having had a No Junk mail sign on it longer than Avid has existed Wink None the less I totally agree with you, and would have been less polite than stupid in my descriptive. Super Angry 

• Mon, Jul 28 2014 8:15 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,040
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    What I see now is just plain stupid.

The feeds thingy made me decide to roll back to MC 6.5.x on the few machines I have with MC.

Regards

Douglas

• Mon, Jul 28 2014 12:26 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,818
    • Points 63,185

Curious - does application manager have to run all the time?

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Jul 28 2014 12:36 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,040
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

BarkinMadd:

Curious - does application manager have to run all the time?

Probably not, but I am not letting any application get its hooks into my computer - without a fight.

What can be turned off today, can be reprogrammed in the future . . . .

There are no features in MC 7 or MC8 that interest me in the least, so staying at 6.5 is fine by me Geeked

Regards

Douglas

• Mon, Jul 28 2014 12:41 PM In reply to

While I agree being reminded hwomany new feeds there are every start up and the fact the count doesn't change even if you read the feeds is a bit of a pain. It's not that big a hit.

Application manager is important moving forwards for rolling out updates etc but currently as far as I can see (on a dongle activated system) MC will run fine with App manager closed.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 7:19 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    It's not that big a hit
    No but it is an additional niggle I could certainly do without.
    Reminds me of one of my pet pieves. I buy lots of genuine DVD and BluRay movies. Through every start up my time is wasted with Anti Piracy excretement. What is the point of "preaching" to the never even had to be converted?? Reality check my only way to avoid this is to visit a friend and watch her collection of pirate movies.

As we have been able to research, find and purchase the product in the first place why insult our intelligence with compulsory feeds in the products licence manager? IMO anyone with a genuinely interest in these feeds is smart enough to find the ones that are applicable to them so PLEASE remove them from the Application manager.

• Mon, Jul 28 2014 8:25 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    As we have been able to research, find and purchase the product in the first place why insult our intelligence with compulsory feeds in the products licence manager? IMO anyone with a genuinely interest in these feeds is smart enough to find the ones that are applicable to them so PLEASE remove them from the Application manager.

While these feeds are just an annoyance I would like to take your words a step further Andrew. It's not the feeds themselves that I find "stupid" or "insulting". I find that there might actually be a place for them. If the compulsory part of it felt intentionally and Avid would force feed me with information I could still understand it while at the same time probably I would be irritated.

But what we now have are 2-3 weeks of the same "13 new feeds" showing each time you restart in an application manager that is causing trouble around the world resulting in Avid support having to give out temporary licenses, dongles updates that go wrong, activation codes that should not be filled in and I wonder what more. Now we understand we have to wait for 8.1 in Q3 or Q4 as Avid wants to get it right... (although it was announced for Q2.) Ok fair enough but wasn't the whole idea behind the subscription model also to be able to release more updates?

Anyway. My problem is very simple. Some wise person once said: "Where something will end up often depends on where it starts!"

Avid if you want(ed) to get it right why didn't you wait with the release of MC8 and first got the application manager with its licensing scheme and its feeds right before releasing it? How do you (re)create the trust relationship with your userbase if you keep releasing these new features in this way? This is what I find stupid.

I hope these are not indications on what more to expect.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Jul 28 2014 9:45 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    It's not the feeds themselves that I find "stupid" or "insulting" I find that there might actually be a place for them. 
    I agree and hope I did not imply there was any thing amiss with the feeds. My issue is that (maybe mistakenly) I do not think myself so stupid that I (or anyone else) want (let alone need) them popping up in an Application manager of products I already own.  

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller