Latest post Sun, Nov 17 2013 1:38 AM by jwrl. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 14 2013 9:50 AM

• Daniel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 26 2012
    • London
    • Posts 32
    • Points 355

Fixing Camera Speed Errors

Hi,

I have been given a mixture of tapes and files to put together in to a tiny reel , which is fine. However some of the files are Go Pro recorded at 12 frames or 15 frames as second. I did say to drop the material but for some reason it has been deemed crucial to the reel. Can anyone recommend a plugin or method to get either 25 fps or 29.97 fps without all the juddder.

I have used smoothcam on FCP in the past but I'm either going to be on Symphony V6.1 or MC V7. I have Boris 7 but never used it for anything like this.

Please feel free to state the obvious if I have overlooked something simple.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Avid Symphony 6.01 on Mac Pro & Media Composer 6.5 on Mac Pro I used to be Blue Crow [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 16 2013 9:26 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,899
    • Points 49,865
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Fixing Camera Speed Errors

There is an application called MotionPerfect that can do this for AVIs. I've looked at it for making smoother slow motion, but it can also be used to interpolate frames when converting up framerates. I ultimately did not buy it, so I can't offer anything truly definitive about it. It's not very expensive. You can check it out at www.goodervideo.com. If yo decide to try it, let us know how it worked out (or not).

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Nov 17 2013 1:38 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,449
    • Points 98,420

Re: Fixing Camera Speed Errors

If your GoPro files are QT, in the console set "ignoreQTrate = true" and then import them.  Then use FluidFilm to convert them to the rate that you need.  To convert 12 fps to 25 use 48% speed, to 30 use 40%.  To convert 15 fps to 25 use 60%.  I'm sure that if you need to (unlikely, I would have thought) you can work out 15 > 30 yourself!

I've found that the Blended Interpolated setting gives pretty fair results with minimum artifacts and reasonable render times.

There is also an "ignoreAMArate" console setting, but I've never used it so I can't say how/if it works.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller