Latest post Mon, Oct 7 2013 2:58 PM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 7 2013 2:36 PM

• Matt Wielgos
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 6 2012
    • Cincinnati, Ohio
    • Posts 36
    • Points 510

1080i/60 to DVD step by step workflow

Friends,

I'm creating a DVD for commercial release and need a step by step for best practice.  The project was shot on 1080i/60 Sony XD Cam EX 35 Mbits.  I linked AMA for edits.  My sequences are done.  What's my next step by step all the way down the line to burning a DVD through Sonic DVD?  I want to maintain quality as much as possible realizing the downconvert for DVD will involve some level of compromise.  We have about 2.5 hours worth of video which I relise means we will go to dual layer DVD-9 and potentially multidisc.  Simple step by steps will really help along with specifications such as what is the best practice/ format to transcode our timelin, etc...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

System 1: Avid Media Composer 8.0.1, Windows 7 64 bit Pro, SP1, Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU @2.20 Ghz. 16 GB ram. NVidia NVS 4200M w/drv. 9.18.13.2078. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 7 2013 2:58 PM In reply to

Re: 1080i/60 to DVD step by step workflow

At 2.5 hrs you will need dual layer or a 2 disc set.

I'm no fan of dual layer and not done it with Sonic DVD.

If it's possible I'd look at breaking the content into 2 sections and then deal with 2 DVD's worth.

I'd do a video mixdown and audiomixdown of your sequence(s) at something like DNX175 ideally (or DNX110 if space is tight)

The output from MC a same as source QT export as an HD file.

Then use Squeeze to do the downscaling to SD and the convert to Mpeg2.

You may need to play with the Mpeg2 options to make an Mpeg2 that Avid DVD will take and burn to DVD without Transcoding for you. Avid don't seem to have the exact detail of what that MPEG needs to be and get it wrong (but still DVD compliant) and Avid DVD will re-transcode it for no reason.

Once you have the MPEG working ok your good to go.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller