Latest post Mon, Jan 5 2015 3:05 AM by peterwhite. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 18 2013 7:36 PM

Issue with Sony's new XAVC codec

Hi

We've got some material from Sony's new XAVC codec and using MC 6.5.2 and the newest AMA plugin 2.31. We can AMA link and getting all the footage from the XDROOT directory and then transcode everything EXCEPT the clips that is 20 minutes and more, they cannot be transcoded...

When trying to transcode these <20 minutes clips, the est time increases more and more and then just getting the world famous Access Violation Exception error. Click OK a couple of times and the MC still runs and can continue transcode all the other clips >20 minutes long.

Anyone else with some XAVC experiense?

I do think this is a Sony_PDZK-MA2_v2.31 AMA plugin issue and used my contacts at Sony to get some feedback.

Perra from Sweden

1 x ISIS 5000 64TB, 1 x ISIS 5000 32TB, 1 x MediaEngine Unity 32TB 1 x Symphony Nitris on HP Z800, 29 x Media Composer on HP Z400 (5.0.4 to 5.5.3.2 -... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Mon, Mar 18 2013 8:10 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,605
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Issue with Sony's new XAVC codec

I haven't got any XAVC footage myself (although I have a friend who owns an F5, must harass him). 

At a guess I'd say this one of those situations where the clip is split into multiple files and for some reason it's choking on those multiple files. I'll see if I can escalate this and hopefully someone at Avid can verify it and follow up with Sony.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Wed, Mar 20 2013 1:43 PM In reply to

I have found a workaround for this, but it's not perfect...

• Those clips which are 20 minutes and more, I use Content Browser 2.0.1 and devide them into smaller.
    • Quit CB and then rename the clips, taking away the (x) from the newly created mxf and xml files.
    • Open CB again just to make sure I can see them again
    • Import the devided clips into Avid MC.
    Why rename the clips and taking away the (x)? Well the Avid MC system is not keen on these "strange" symbols and I got a lot of error messages when trying to import a clip called Clip0318(2).mxf - and the .xml file. I do thnk that Sony has to revise their AMA plugin and code it again Wink Perra from Sweden

1 x ISIS 5000 64TB, 1 x ISIS 5000 32TB, 1 x MediaEngine Unity 32TB 1 x Symphony Nitris on HP Z800, 29 x Media Composer on HP Z400 (5.0.4 to 5.5.3.2 -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 28 2013 8:22 AM In reply to

• gerot
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 23 2012
    • Germany
    • Posts 2
    • Points 10

Good morning

thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm very interested to shot am TV-Documentary with the F5, the standard shots will be recorded in XDCAM HD 4:2:2, the Avid-workflow should be no problem. BUT: We've got lots of greenscreen-shots. Do you have any experiences on keying and compositing with the XAVC-Codec? I can imagine, there are some advantages recording XAVC instead of XDCAMHD...

Thanks for good ideas and best regards from Germany

• Mon, Jan 5 2015 3:05 AM In reply to

XAVC codec is still young and undeveloped. if you want to make it compatible , use some reliable converter to transcode them. But you can also try the Sony XAVC plug-in to help you.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller