Latest post Thu, Dec 27 2012 4:16 PM by hforsberg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 6:18 AM

• hforsberg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 5 2008
    • Posts 10
    • Points 130

Symphony upgrade dilemma

Hello,

I have a long term doc I've been editing on MC - I'm up to version 6.  If I purchase the Symphony upgrade I wonder if I will be able to:

install both MC6 and Symphony 6.5 on the same system;

use the same media files for both applications;

switch the project between applications

I guess what I would like to do is just switch the project over to Symphone 6.5 and move forward, but I'd like to have the security that if something goes wrong that I could switch back to the working MC6.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Herb

MC 6.0.2; Windows 7 Pro; Core i7@3.33GHz; 24 GB ram; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

• Thu, Dec 27 2012 6:23 AM In reply to

Re: Symphony upgrade dilemma

1) They use a different license.  If you upgrade to Symphony, you'll be abandoning your MC license.  Even a Symphony dongle will not launch MC.

2) Meanwhile, media is fully interchangeable.  We have MC v5.5 and MC v6.5 sharing projects on our systems.

3) As long s you keep track of any new effects in v6.5 that don't exist or work differetly in v6.0.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Dec 27 2012 11:36 AM In reply to

hforsberg:

if I will be able to:

install both MC6 and Symphony 6.5 on the same system;

Only if you have two licenses or dongles, and as long as they are of the exact same version number. In other words, if you crossgrade to Symphony, you will have lost your MC license, and you won't be able to run MC.

Now that should not matter, as Symphony is the exact same software, with just one and a half extra features compared to MC (advanced color correction is one, Universal Mastering is the 'half' one, since it would also require Nitris DX to work).

hforsberg:
    use the same media files for both applications;

You would - again, if you had licenses for both.

hforsberg:
    switch the project between applications

Sure, since it's the very same core software.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 12:52 PM In reply to

But all that said yes you can have MC and Symphony installed on the same system but as said you need a dongle or activation code for each. In practice it makes little sense to have MC available when you have Symphony.

It's shame there isn't an option in Symphony to restrict it to MC functions...

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Filed under:
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 4:16 PM In reply to

• hforsberg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 5 2008
    • Posts 10
    • Points 130

Many thanks to all for your thoughtful and prompt responses. 

Happy New Year to All!

MC 6.0.2; Windows 7 Pro; Core i7@3.33GHz; 24 GB ram; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller