Latest post Thu, Sep 27 2012 12:10 AM by Job ter Burg. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 22 2012 8:40 PM

Back from FCP :) Timeline clip text question

Hello,  I feel like a bit like the prodigal son sheepishly walking back to the AVID world but its good to be back.   OK my question.   I cannot figure out how to display comments of a clip in the timline.   I have gone to the hamburger menu in the timeline and have selected clip text menu and the 'comment' option is checked, I have added text to the comment field in the bin, but no text shows up in the timeline anyone know how to display it?

thanks

jason

• Sat, Sep 22 2012 9:56 PM In reply to

Re: Back from FCP :) Timeline clip text question

Jason:

As a test, try creating a locator (marker) and entering text. See if that displays in the timeline.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:55 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,690

There's a drop down menu in the source monitor that lets you add comments to the loaded clip. I think you'll find that it will dispaly that in the timeline with your selected settings.

• Sun, Sep 23 2012 7:15 AM In reply to

There are two different ways to add comments. One is in the bin, these won't show up in the timeline. The other Add Comments is done from the timeline:

1. Click one of the Segment buttons (yellow/red arrows located in the Timeline palette), and highlight the clip to which you want to add a comment in the Timeline.
    2. Click the Clip Name menu above the monitor, and select Add Comments.
    3. Type your comments in the text box, and click OK.

The latter is the kind of comment that you can display inside the timeline. This comment also travels into an EDL (unlike the Bin comments).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 24 2012 12:43 PM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • England
    • Posts 307
    • Points 3,800

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago and got the same fab answer, which I used yesterday to add a load of comments to a sequence. Today I decided to install 6.0.3.1 patch because I wanted OS 10.8.1 for another reason.

anyway, come back to my sequence today and all those comments have gone, very annoying and probably to do with the patch install. So beware!

the whole process seems back to front to me anyway, I want to build a sequence and see useful comments or scene information in the timeline I am assembling, not have to build a sequence and name all the clips during or afterwards so I know what is there at a glance.

It would be much more useful to be able to display in the timeline comments or scene information that can be added to a clip in a bin for me... Anyone else agree ? ( oh, and those comments to still be there after a software change!)

MC 8.9.2 Symphony - MacPro 2.66Ghz 12core 48GB ram - OS 10.12.6 - BM 4K Extreme - Sapphire pulse RX580 8GB -SSD boot - 3 x 2TB internal WD caviar black... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 24 2012 12:59 PM In reply to

flashavid:
    It would be much more useful to be able to display in the timeline comments or scene information that can be added to a clip in a bin

I'd love to have that, as long as I can still add comments to segments in the timeline. I may have two pieces of a shot, and one of them may need wire removal, I want to be able to add that comment to that one instance of that shot.

But, yes, it would be much, much more helpful if you could have the timeline display ANY metadata from the source clip, in stead of just the few options we can choose from now.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 24 2012 1:00 PM In reply to

P.S.: Were those comments really gone? I can't imagine that. Are you sure they don't show up when you take a fresh user setting and choose to display the Clip Comments?

• Mon, Sep 24 2012 1:32 PM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • England
    • Posts 307
    • Points 3,800

Hi, I just tried creating a new user but it didn't bring the comments back unfortunately.

luckily I had added locators to the original clips so they had come across to the sequence and stuck, so I can still navigate using those.

Just very annoying that I spent my Sunday adding comments to speed my edit today, it just breaks the flow and slow things down :(

MC 8.9.2 Symphony - MacPro 2.66Ghz 12core 48GB ram - OS 10.12.6 - BM 4K Extreme - Sapphire pulse RX580 8GB -SSD boot - 3 x 2TB internal WD caviar black... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 24 2012 7:49 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

There are two different ways to add comments. One is in the bin, these won't show up in the timeline. The other Add Comments is done from the timeline:

1. Click one of the Segment buttons (yellow/red arrows located in the Timeline palette), and highlight the clip to which you want to add a comment in the Timeline.
    2. Click the Clip Name menu above the monitor, and select Add Comments.
    3. Type your comments in the text box, and click OK.

The latter is the kind of comment that you can display inside the timeline. This comment also travels into an EDL (unlike the Bin comments).

Hey thanks for the concise answer.  Thats pretty nice to be able to add comments to timeline clips... just weird and confusing that this field cannot be displayed in the bins. 

• Mon, Sep 24 2012 9:15 PM In reply to

• Andy Ward
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 31 2008
    • Posts 38
    • Points 560

This possibly doesn't help you very much but you could put a timecode effect from the generator section of the fx on a top video track. You can choose to show the comments field from the source clip and this will show on screen, you can choose to view from the next video track down if you don't want to see the info and/or it doesn't let you play other effects without rendering. This might help you see the info in the edit albeit not as timeline text...

MC v4.05 & Nitris boxes Mac OS X 10.6.2 Mac Pro, 2 x 3ghz Quad Core Intel X, 6 gb 800 mhz x4 HP xw8600 - Vista x1 Software only - Windows XP x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 7:40 PM In reply to

Interesting.  Thanks Andy.  I'll keep that in mind as it sounds like it may come in handy...

• Thu, Sep 27 2012 12:10 AM In reply to

avidzombie:

... just weird and confusing that this field cannot be displayed in the bins. 

Not so much as in that different instances (in the sequence) of the same clip (in the bin) may require different comments.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller