Latest post Tue, Aug 7 2012 3:31 PM by Terry Snyder. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 7 2012 2:04 PM

Keyframing Color Correction

I'm new to Symphony but I've been color correcting in MC for years.  

In MC, when I had a clip that subtantially changed in brightness over the length of the shot, I would break it up into separate shots in the timeline with Add Edits, adjust the levels of each shot separately, and then add a dissolve to smooth out the adjustments.  

I like the fact that Symphony lets me keyframe my CC and level adjustments without splitting the clip, but how can I achieve the same gradual transition between different levels that I got by using a dissolve?

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 3:20 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,996
    • Points 38,075

Re: Keyframing Color Correction

I still use the add edit / dissolve most of the time. If you want to use keyframes though, it is just like any other effect. So you place a keyframe at the beginning of the level change, and one at the end, then adjust that keyframe. As you play through you get the level adjust in a linear fashion. In the advnced keyframe editor you can change that to spline, etc.

Caution, if you use keyframes in V6, as soon as you enter engge the effect editor while in CC mode buggy thiings will start happening and your performance will take a hit. So close the effect editor window as soon as you are done adjusting.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 3:31 PM In reply to

Re: Keyframing Color Correction

TCurren:
    Caution, if you use keyframes in V6, as soon as you enter engge the effect editor while in CC mode buggy thiings will start happening and your performance will take a hit.

Thanks, Terence.   I've already experienced buggy keyframes when working with transition effects, so its disappointing to learn these bugs extend to color correction as well.   I was looking foward to exploring the power of Symphony's CC, but if keyframes are as buggy in CC as they are with other effects, I think I'll follow your lead and stay with the add edit/dissolve workflow that I've used successfully for years.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller