Latest post Mon, Jul 16 2012 6:57 PM by mjolnarn. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 3 2012 4:39 PM

Adobe Media Encoder and Matrox Mini Max

I recently bought the Matrox MX02 Mini Max.   The "Max" version was only $150 more, so I bought it to take advantage of the H.264 acceleration.  I understand the Mini Max's H.264 feature does not work with MC or Sorenson, but I'm hoping future versions of MC and/or Sorenson will support this.

According to Matrox's site, I can use the Mini Max's H.264 encoding with Adobe Media Encoder.  

(1) What's the cheapest way to obtain Adobe Media Encoder?   I can't find anyway to purchase this separately.   I've read on some sites that it comes with Photoshop, while Adobe's site does not verify this.  

(2) Can Mini Max/Adobe Media Player encode from QT reference exported from MC, or do I need to export from MC as same-as-source?

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, Jul 3 2012 4:45 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Re: Adobe Media Encoder and Matrox Mini Max

Terry Snyder:

(1) What's the cheapest way to obtain Adobe Media Encoder? 

There is only one way that I know of and that is to buy one of the suites, you might also like - want to use - need applications like After Effects , Photoshop and Audition 

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Jul 3 2012 5:23 PM In reply to

Is it included in Photoshop?    I currently use Photoshop Elements for simple tasks like creating alpha channels.   I'd get the full version if Media Encoder is included?

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Wed, Jul 4 2012 5:55 PM In reply to

on there website it says you can use the "max" export direct from MC, just not sorrenson. So it should work w/o needing Adobe's Encodr. 

• Wed, Jul 4 2012 10:47 PM In reply to

Robert Goodman :

on there website it says you can use the "max" export direct from MC, just not sorrenson. So it should work w/o needing Adobe's Encodr. 

There's a catch.   Direct-from-MC export using the "Max" is only available when using MC on a Mac, not on a PC.  Sad

I don't understand why?

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 3:29 PM In reply to

• NYnutz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 25 2009
    • New York City
    • Posts 455
    • Points 5,495

Terry Snyder:

Robert Goodman :

There's a catch.   Direct-from-MC export using the "Max" is only available when using MC on a Mac, not on a PC.  Sad

I don't understand why?

It likely has to do with how the quicktime engine utilizes 3rd party codecs. 

Dave

Post Production Infrastructure Engineer

"A very big network"

• Mon, Jul 16 2012 6:11 PM In reply to

• Wayne A
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 6 2010
    • Posts 75
    • Points 1,185
    • Avid Partner

From what I understand, the cheapest way to get Adobe Media Encoder, would be to buy Premiere which comes with AME

Regards

W@

• Mon, Jul 16 2012 6:17 PM In reply to

Wayne A:

From what I understand, the cheapest way to get Adobe Media Encoder, would be to buy Premiere which comes with AME

...it believe it also comes with After Effects, which is something I'd use more than Premier.

• Mon, Jul 16 2012 6:57 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Terry Snyder:

...it believe it also comes with After Effects, which is something I'd use more than Premier.

AE is my first tool, this together with Avid of course , and should be in every editors toolbox IMO

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller