Latest post Tue, Jul 3 2012 1:21 AM by Kenton.VanNatten. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 3 2012 12:20 AM

• redi47
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2011
    • Posts 29
    • Points 355

Media search help!

Hello Avid people,

Im hoping someone can help me with search options. Is there a way in Avid (im on an old version, v2.2.1) to search for text created and saved through Marqee and saved to a bin? Ive created supers but saved them to an unknown bin and as my projects quite large, I cant seem to find them anymore. 

Thanks for any help,

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Tue, Jul 3 2012 12:59 AM In reply to

Re: Media search help!

In short, no.  

I don't know of any app that will be aware of content like that.  Sure, you can search Layers etc in Photoshop/After Effects, but you do have to have the project containing your Comp open... which would be akin to having the Marquee/Title Tool open.  

In v5 the Find tool functionality has been expanded greatly to allow searching for Clips/Sequences across Bins, but that is only searching based on Clip name or some other metadata attached to the clip.  If the clip contains a red car and that fact is not noted in the metadata, then you'll never find it with the search.  

Open all of your Bins and hunt for it is the best way I can think of for your version.  Then move them all to a CGs/Supers/Lower3rds/GFX bin and name it.  You might have some luck searching with the Media Tool, but that won't tell you which Bin it's in and it won't let you load it into the Source monitor for you to do a Find Bin on.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Jul 3 2012 1:04 AM In reply to

• redi47
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 3 2011
    • Posts 29
    • Points 355

Thanks Kenton,

Thats what I thought. Ive been through all my bins and cant find the supers, which is strange. Ive had a look in the project files and can still see them in the OMFI folder on the date that they were created, is there a way to find the location of them through the project files outside of Avid, that you know of?

• Tue, Jul 3 2012 1:21 AM In reply to

Because a clip is just metadata and it can reside in any Bin and the media files just link to the metadata there is no way to discover which Bin a piece of metadata is in based on the physical media file.  

If they were not title clips (ie, Pre-Computes) then you could use the Media Tool to search your project and use the results to locate the Bin it lived in.  But, Pre-Computes can't be loaded into the Source Monitor, (unless you perform the Console hack) but even then, you still wouldn't be able to perform a Find Bin or even be able to edit the Title.  So, it's a bit pointless.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller