Latest post Mon, Jul 2 2012 6:06 PM by v-block. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 29 2012 5:56 PM

• v-block
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Posts 544
    • Points 6,885

2GB AVI file limit.

Isn't time this issue was fixed in MC. A modern professional NLE should be able to work with OpenDML AVI files, especially as linking to AMA does not allow the use of Quicktime Reference files. I like to export using the Xvid codec when I need a fast export, directly from MC but find longer videos, at the highest quality settings, hit this ridiculous 2GB limit, a relic from 90's video help forums. Move into the 21st century Avid, this is a very old issue.

Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard, Core i7 920 CPU, Win 7 Pro 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT610, 12GB Corsair 3x4GB CMX-12GX3M3A1333C9 ram in triple channel config... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Fri, Jun 29 2012 8:13 PM In reply to

Re: 2GB AVI file limit.

Funny how you mention a "relic from the '90s" while praising .avi.  

v-block:
    AMA does not allow the use of Quicktime Reference

If you use Video/Audio Mixdowns you can get around that.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Jul 2 2012 5:20 PM In reply to

• v-block
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 544
    • Points 6,885

Are you saying a Video/Audio Mixdown will allow the export of QTR files or allow the export of an AVI larger than 2GB.

Of course I meant that a 2GB avi export limit is a relic from the 90's. This was fixed in most serious software and freeware a long time ago. Is there a good reason why Avid has retained this limitation besides pretending that avi never existed. This limitation prevents the full use of some very useful export options on a PC and that makes me think it is an MAC V PC thing.

Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard, Core i7 920 CPU, Win 7 Pro 64bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT610, 12GB Corsair 3x4GB CMX-12GX3M3A1333C9 ram in triple channel config... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 2 2012 5:49 PM In reply to

v-block:
    Are you saying a Video/Audio Mixdown will allow the export of QTR files

Yes.

v-block:
    or allow the export of an AVI larger than 2GB.

No.  The limitation is the "type" of AVI that is used.  Avid uses AVI Type I, which as a 2GB limit.  

v-block:
    Is there a good reason why Avid has retained this limitation besides pretending that avi never existed.
     I'm sure there is a good reason - I'm not a software developer.  I can tell you though that I have not had a request or need to work with .avi file since 1998.  Whenever a client asks me for an .avi, I always ask them what their reasoning is and try to steer them towards a more modern format.  If they still insist on .avi, then I export a QTref and convert to .avi using most any encoder.  

v-block:
    This limitation prevents the full use of some very useful export options on a PC

Export a QTref and convert to .avi (or anything you like) using a 3rd party encoder.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Jul 2 2012 6:00 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,280

Kenton.VanNatten:
    I can tell you though that I have not had a request or need to work with .avi file since 1998.  Whenever a client asks me for an .avi, I always ask them what their reasoning is and try to steer them towards a more modern format.

Likewise.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 2 2012 6:06 PM In reply to

• v-block
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 544
    • Points 6,885

The only reason I am asking is because I like using the Xvid codec for posting video on the web. It's a fair bit faster than Squeeze and exports directly from the MC timeline but recently some longer sequences hit this 2GB limit which I found hard to believe in 2012.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller