Latest post Wed, Feb 1 2012 10:04 AM by luca.mg. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:33 AM

MXF is many different MXF

In todays world it's quiet difficult to manage media... There's sooo many different codecs, versions, resolutions, frame rates, bit rates etc etc to keep track on and the production companies here in Sweden are very keen on keeping the prices down as much as possible, so they always coming up with their own ideas on what cameras to use and so on. All this is dumped in our lap, the post production... It is frustrating!

This time it's the Avid codec in the EVS system... For the production on site it seemed like a very good idea to go for the Avid MXF50 codec (SD) when filming with 5 cameras in a studio and then give us the hard drive with all the material on. This might work very smooth if we just can work with this MXF50 material natively, but because we have so many ethernet connected clients, we cannot work with multicam in MXF50, need to go down to 10:1.

So... we took the the hard drive and then used Media Tool and all that, transcoded the clips to 10:1, edited the clips and then tried to relink back to the high resolution MXF50 material... NOT! It just took the first avalible clip of the five multicam clips on the EVS disk! And always just the first one, even if we had been using clip 2, 3, 4 or 5. The only thing we had to do was to manually change all the 10:1 clips to MXF50 by compairing each clip and TC.

IF they had went for the original MXF (muxed) codec in the EVS it would have been SO much easier. Just import the clips in the resolution we want and then batch import all the high resolution files back in IMX50.

And by the way, why can't I choose whatever resolution I want when importing clips from XDCAM without using AMA and transcoding??? I want to have the power of what I'm doing! Whatever file I use outside the XDCAM, I can decide what resolution I want to import it in, but not from XDCAM... Annoying!

1 x ISIS 5000 64TB, 1 x ISIS 5000 32TB, 1 x MediaEngine Unity 32TB 1 x Symphony Nitris on HP Z800, 29 x Media Composer on HP Z400 (5.0.4 to 5.5.3.2 -... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:59 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Re: MXF is many different MXF

Hi Per-Erik , wouldn´t ama link and then transcode have been a better option initially, you could have transcoded to 10 : 1 .

Then just made a new transcode to full res after the finished edit, that should work.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Feb 1 2012 10:04 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,947
    • Points 70,320

Re: MXF is many different MXF

Per-Erik Österlund:
    So... we took the the hard drive and then used Media Tool and all that, transcoded the clips to 10:1, edited the clips and then tried to relink back to the high resolution MXF50 material... NOT! It just took the first avalible clip of the five multicam clips on the EVS disk! And always just the first one, even if we had been using clip 2, 3, 4 or 5.
    To overcome relink problems with file based workflows cheating a tape name helps sometimes, that is manually add a tape name to the high resolution clips BEFORE transcoding to a low res, or else You'll have to add the bogus tape names to both the hi res clips and the low res clips before relinking, and that takes twice the labour.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller