Latest post Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:34 AM by Peter Groom. 25 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 9:09 PM In reply to

• videojon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 63
    • Points 800

Re: Fool Proof HDV capture from Sony Tape Decks...

mjolnarn:

A strange question, of course it is supported, I am doing it all the time

He was obviously asking because something he read made him unsure. I don't think it was a strange question.

Setup #1 - MC 8.2 with Symphony HP Z800; Windows 7, 12 gigs ram, NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800, AJA AJKONALHI Setup #2 - Media Composer 8.2; AJA IO Express; Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 9:38 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

videojon:

mjolnarn:

A strange question, of course it is supported, I am doing it all the time

He was obviously asking because something he read made him unsure. I don't think it was a strange question.

I do think it was strange, like saying that trimming or colour correction not was possible any longer with MC 6.

Getting media into your editing application is one of the very basics, of course it have to be working.

With that beeing said it isn´t working on all systems and that´s the reason to why Avid have specified certain hardware to be certified.

1394 Via chipsets are known to be problematic whilst Texas Instrument 1394 chipsets almost always works.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:06 PM In reply to

• videojon
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 63
    • Points 800

mjolnarn:

it was strange, like saying that trimming or colour correction not was possible any longer with MC 6.

Getting media into your editing application is one of the very basics, of course it have to be working.

With that beeing said it isn´t working on all systems and that´s the reason to why Avid have specified certain hardware to be certified.

1394 Via chipsets are known to be problematic whilst Texas Instrument 1394 chipsets almost always works.

His technical reasoning - or lack of - isn't the point, only your condescending reaction to this guys question.

Setup #1 - MC 8.2 with Symphony HP Z800; Windows 7, 12 gigs ram, NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800, AJA AJKONALHI Setup #2 - Media Composer 8.2; AJA IO Express; Windows... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:15 PM In reply to

• ronn
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • San Diego
    • Posts 1,015
    • Points 12,780

"OK OK now - let's be nice..."

- Buckaroo Bonzai

Media Composer 2020.4 with Intensity Pro 4K, Dell i5680, Win-10 64. 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1060, Sony FS7, FS5, EX1, A6300, Ninja Assassin, Harley Dyna LowRider... [view my complete system specs]

Ronn Kilby

San Diego

• Wed, Jan 18 2012 1:01 AM In reply to

• Whitehorse
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 64
    • Points 830

OK, So in the MC6 System Requirements document both the Dell T3400 and HP xw4600 have been "down certified" with the "HD capture NOT supported" annotation. However, this issue has existed for me forever. I have always found workarounds that keep me in business. This would not be the first time that an Avid certified system has been dropped from certification for failing to perform as previously certified. It's a crap shoot. Be prepared to upgrade if you want to use these tools. As you may have noticed I am a die hard Avid guy in spite of these frustrations. (Started non linear day one on Media Suite Pro)  It is THE superior editing platform. Sometimes ya just gotta suck it up and move on. So all I've tried to do here was share a viable workaround for all those dealing with the same weaknesses I'm dealing with. Like I said, I hope this works for you! It works! Stop cryin and go edit!

MC 5.0.?, Windows XP SP3, Dell Precision T3400 2.66Ghz 4M E6750 CPU, WD 1TB Int HD, 4GB ECC Ram (Add3GB.exe set for 2.7GB), Nvidia Quadro FX3700, Highpoint... [view my complete system specs]

Horse

• Wed, Jan 18 2012 6:38 PM In reply to

Perhaps, now im back infront of the forum, i can now defend/explain myself (as ive been away for a day or 2 making what will likely be an international hit record, as Im a sound producer mixer by day, not editor - only that as a downtime hobby)

My question re mc6 and hdv capture was from the position that I read

"Just a follow up. I was looking at the system requirements for MC6 and was suprised to see that my Dell T3400 while still certified has a new annotation saying HD Capture not supported!?!"

As Im currently rebuilding my computer and am about to install mc6 any minute, I was just making sure as the post "implied" that perhaps it didnt support HDV anymore. Id have no way of knowing so was just checking.

Sorry if you felt I should have known this information, but I didnt, and it would have STOPPED me from upgrading 5 to 6, so was relevant to me and my camera.

If it was a lack of technical reasoning - perhaps. I didnt research it all. Just asked as I had little time before a flght. If that annoys, Sorry!

Peter

Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel i7 3.4 ghz cpu, 32 GIG DDR3, MC 8.4.5 Pro Tools 10 & 11 [view my complete system specs]

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Wed, Jan 18 2012 6:48 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Peter, my comment wasn´t directed against you at all, more general and to comment some uncorrect info given in this thread, sorry if I was unclear.

And, again, firewire capturing from cams will be supported in Media Composer for as long as these cams exists I believe and there is no difference in behaviour between MC 6 and earlier versions of Media Composer

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 18 2012 9:25 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,592
    • Points 256,065
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

mjolnarn:
    to comment some uncorrect info given in this thread, sorry if I was unclear.

Hello Tomas,

A couple of points I would like to make. Please don't take them the wrong way Geeked

mjolnarn:

I know that you do very well with your english (och jag kan lite svenska, med små fel) But to me "problematic" and "almost always work" are the same thing. So I find that confusing.

Then on to the VIA chipset urban legend. I think that we have this discussion from time to time.
    I came from Liquid, as did you, and in the Liquid days it was a well known fact that VIA chipset Firewire ports were not recommended. I avoided them like the plague, as did any other Liquid user.
    My 3 most recent computer builds for MC all have VIA chipset firewire ports on the motherboard! The boards are from Asus, and a large number of their motherboards have VIA chipset firewire ports.
    I don't know if it is possible that the VIA chipset has been improved on since the days of Liquid or what. I would not write it off as being so problematic these days.
    Having said that, however, one way or the other, there are quite a few users who have reported various problems with capturing from Sony tape decks. If that has to do with the chipset or not - I cannot say.

I have a VIA chipset, I can capture from 3 different Sony decks without problems.

Regards,
    Douglas

Sr. Director | Customer Experience [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 18 2012 9:41 PM In reply to

Hi Peter,

Peterdubbingmixer:

My question re mc6 and hdv capture was from the position that I read

"Just a follow up. I was looking at the system requirements for MC6 and was suprised to see that my Dell T3400 while still certified has a new annotation saying HD Capture not supported!?!"

As Im currently rebuilding my computer and am about to install mc6 any minute, I was just making sure as the post "implied" that perhaps it didnt support HDV anymore. Id have no way of knowing so was just checking.

Just to clarify, Whitehorse's was talking about the fact that HD capture is no longer supported in MC6 on the Dell 3400 specifically. It's not that Avid has stopped supporting HD playback across the board, it's that that machine - which used to be fully supported with older versions of MC - is no longer fast enough.

Hope that helps.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2022.12 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jan 18 2012 9:58 PM In reply to

I am on VIA too.

Almost all new motherboards are using VIA now.

But the captures fail with whatever chipset you have some times.

It's no secret anymore that DV/HDV is picky at MC for a long time.

Not that is a show stopper but it's harder some times to capture.

In comparison with Liquid Premiere etc MC is stranger at that aspect.

We have to live with it as we are living with the broken .avi support

or the mpeg which can't be imported while other flavors of it can and do fine.

I suspect that the coders doesn't know those things are important for so many new users.

That's my best bet.

Desktop

Asus Ζ690 TUF Gaming WiFi D4|i5 12600K|Corsair 128G DDR4|Asus 3060 12GB|Samsung 980 500GB(OS)|2X1TB Samsung 980 RAID 0|W11 Pro

Laptop 

MSI Katana GF76 11UE (i7 11800H|Nvidia 3060|Crucial 64G DDR4)|W11 Pro

NLE

DR Studio 18.1.2|MC 2022.12

3 Heads Digital Films

• Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:34 AM In reply to

Thanks Camoscato. That was the clarification I was seeking.

Peter

Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel i7 3.4 ghz cpu, 32 GIG DDR3, MC 8.4.5 Pro Tools 10 & 11 [view my complete system specs]

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller