Latest post Fri, Apr 1 2011 7:13 PM by John. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 30 2011 7:02 PM

relinking from SD cards

I recorded my thesis short film on a Sony NX5 and this is my first time using SD cards.  Usually I capture all my footage in the lowest quality possible, and then batch capture/relink the footage at the highest quality.  Is it easy to do this with footage from SD cards considering all the footage is labeled 00012.MTS, 00048.MTS, 00121.MTS etc?  Also, keep in mind that I have four folders of raw footage, so there are four 00001.MTS's 00002.MTS's and so on.

I am currently importing in DNxHD 36.  It is still taking a while, but is obviously faster than before.  I just want to make sure that I can definitely upgrade formats when I am done editing before I import it all at low quality.

Lastly, when I do upgrade the quality of the footage, is DNxHD 175 X the best or is there something else I should use?

Q6600 2.8 quad core, 8800GT (although I JUST bought an upgrade coming in mail), 4GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 31 2011 1:25 PM In reply to

Re: relinking from SD cards

Anyone?

Q6600 2.8 quad core, 8800GT (although I JUST bought an upgrade coming in mail), 4GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 1 2011 5:35 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bainbridge Island, WA
    • Posts 5,568
    • Points 64,850
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

If you're using AMA to bring the material into the Avid and then transcoding it will be easy to relink to your original clips and then transcode to DNx175.  If you're importing, you'll probably need to bring in each clip in it's entirety at a higher resolution if there's no timecode attached to the clip.  I'd suggest doing a test on a couple of clips before you're too far gone.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Fri, Apr 1 2011 7:13 PM In reply to

• John
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Glasgow, Scotland
    • Posts 178
    • Points 2,135

I think the best bit of advice I got when planning an ama type work flow is :

first copy all the raw files onto a drive

in avid 'link to the AMA volumes' and then trascode all the clips into an avid codec on the same drive(if possible), as high a quality as you need to deliver your final product.

Then trascode them again into a lower resolution on another drive and remove the first, higher quality volumes from the avid there by keeping the RAW files and high res avid encoded ones safe from the projects

. then when you need the full res version, mount the high res drive and disconnect the low res one and avid will relink nicely to the high res avid clips.

If you feel you need to retain the link to the ama raw files I believe you can do this by selecting relink and check the box allow relinking to ama files.

jobs a good un

Media Composer 6 on HPZ800, 12GB Ram, 2x Mac Pro MC 5 and 5.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller