Latest post Thu, Feb 17 2011 3:58 PM by nicov. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 2:30 PM

• Jayson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 5 2008
    • los angeles
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,690

avid requires nvidia fx cards, does it use them?

Hey All,

I was just playing around in the Premiere Pro demo since I'd read online that you can hack it to use most any Nvidia card to take advantage of their CUDA cores. I have an Nvidia 880M card in my laptop so I gave it a try. And it's true. I've got 4 layers of 1080 30p (two of the layers are keyed out and one of those layers is being used as a mask for another of the layers.) And it plays back in, well not in real time but maybe about 3/4 time. which is great.

This made me wonder, since avid requires a quadra fx card, does that mean that it takes advantage of the cuda cores in Quadras? if not, why require the Quadra? 

also, is there a way to build this same effect in avid? Pulling a key on one layer and then using it as a mask for another layer? I poked around pip and the keys but didn't see anything.

And yes, I know avid is an editor not a compositor. Smile But if I can somehow stay in avid and cut out the render in and out round trips to nuke, I will. 

thx,

jayson

Avid 8.4.5 w/ Symphony x2 (1) iMac 2014 32gb Ram 4gb vram (2) Macbook Pro (just for writing not editing) (camera) Panasonic GH4 x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 3:06 PM In reply to

Re: avid requires nvidia fx cards, does it use them?

Avid utilizes OpenGL platform, mainly for RT playback of some FX, Full Screen Playback and overlay video.

MC 2022, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 3080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Big... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 3:13 PM In reply to

According to some posts from Avid awhile back, there is a transactional overhead associated with using the GPU for processing. So if the calculation is not very difficult, it's actually faster to use the CPU than the GPU b/c the CPU can be accessed more directly.

So it depends what you're doing to see if the video card actually adds anything.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 4:25 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,245

The opposite is true for DS, it uses, needs, & can't run without the Nvidia card's GPU

A someone who uses both DS and NukeX i would say that DS's compositor is light years faster than Nuke, if the tools you need are there... so 2D comps in DS are more like Flame in terms of speed and interactivity than Nuke

But as soon as i need a 3D comp then Nuke is my tool... and the IBK has no equal anywhere either... i mention this as you said you use Nuke, not NukeX, and licence of DS with it's included MC5 is about the same price as a licence of Nuke & a licence of MC5 

Just some thoughts... but if you are comfortable with both Nuke & MC then DS might be a good fit?

With NukeX on the same machine as DS, Nuke sees the Aja output, and runs RT renders from the same diskarray, and DS runs DPX native so you only need to link to the Nuke renders and hit play... pretty consice workflow, Qt ref out to Nuke, link back to Nuke renders, no media moves anywhere....

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 8 2011 9:02 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,605
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

My understanding as been that Open GL is the main technology utilised in the NVidia cards by Media Composer - I don't believe there is any Cuda or OpenCL programming as yet. However that may change in the future. Running Avid without NVidia hardware is a bit hit-and-miss - on my laptop with Intel chipset it works reasonably well (although effects render slowly). On other systems I've played with in the past things like video playback don't work at all (no overlay to put the video in the box)...

I suspect that things will change, it's hard to ignore the power that the GPU can bring.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Tue, Feb 8 2011 10:59 PM In reply to

• Jayson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 5 2008
    • los angeles
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,690

thx for all the replies, Dermot can you work with ama in DS. That's what I liked about premiere was that I didn't transcode/ingest anything, just dropped on the timeline from the media window. I could get the whole project composited and rendered in the time it takes to ingest the media. 

Avid 8.4.5 w/ Symphony x2 (1) iMac 2014 32gb Ram 4gb vram (2) Macbook Pro (just for writing not editing) (camera) Panasonic GH4 x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 9 2011 12:19 AM In reply to

• Cagey
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vista, CA
    • Posts 319
    • Points 4,120

Currently, the only officially qualified quadro fx cards are 3700, 3800, and 4800.

The 4600 and 5600 were removed for an unresolved bug (UDevC00098019). 

All are approved for the 190.38 driver but the 3800 and 4800 have sometimes experienced problems.  In that case use the 259.57 driver.

Is it me or are the qualified video solutions for MC shrinking instead of growing?

Even though I'll experience deja vu, I'm really curious about what Avid will do to address this in the next release.

Shhhhh, it's a secret!!! LOL

MC8.6.1, Z420 Xeon E5-2670, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080, DIGI002, Win 10 Pro 64-bit [view my complete system specs]

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that get binary, and those that don't.

• Wed, Feb 9 2011 10:46 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,605

We can't speculate here on what might be coming, but personally from what I've observed from Avid's development over the last couple of years I'm fairly comfortable that in future versions we'll continue to get added benefit from the graphics card in some way or another.

On a somewhat unrelated note there are other technologies that may start to become very interesting for professional video work... There are already relatively low-cost FPGA expansions cards available - they could offer a very interesting way to get improved performance from our systems in the future...

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Auckland, New Zealand

• Sat, Feb 12 2011 5:45 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,245

Jayson:
    Dermot can you work with ama in DS. That's what I liked about premiere was that I didn't transcode/ingest anything, just dropped on the timeline from the media window. I could get the whole project composited and rendered in the time it takes to ingest the media. 

Hey Jayson, sorry it's taken so long to get back, it's been a (very) busy week

No DS cannot do anything like AMA, my gigs are mesuared in weeks or months, so turning around a clip in the time it takes to Ingest is not really an issue for me, my clients, and my workflow...

CS5 has alot of strengths, some overlap with MC and others with DS, everyone has to find the tools that work for them, and AAF's from CS5 open cleanly in DS, so therefore i'm OK with it ;-)

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 12 2011 5:53 PM In reply to

However it takes ages to PPro to conform audio in too many cases.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus Ζ690 TUF Gaming WiFi D4|i5 12600K@4.9|Corsair 128G DDR4 3200|PNY Quadro P2000(511.79)|Samsung 980 MVME 500GB (OS)|2X1TB Samsung 980 NVME RAID 0|2x1TB Crucial MX500 Backups|LG BH16NS40|W11 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2021.12 with Symphony Option on Dongle|Samsung 4K 32'' Monitor|M-Audio AV30 Speakers

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Sun, Feb 13 2011 4:20 AM In reply to

• nicov
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 7 2006
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,770

I'm planning on updating a GPU with a more uptodate board, mainly seeking for better performance in other apps then MC. Currently using ati3870 on a macpro  (I know i'm hijacking a PC thread with a mac related post sorry!!) and fine with MC's performance, in fact I believed I was getting the distributed processing stuff between CPU GPU AND DX that Avid proudly promoted in several videos when they released the DX line. But is there really a significant performance boost in renders and RT playback when using a qualified GPU that MC recognizes at start up along with DX hardware? Anyone noticed it, at least on PCs?

The ati GPU i'm using hasn't made any problem, its Open GL setting is selected in MC. It just isn't in the qualified list so ACPL effects defaults to OFF and turning them ON manually in the console is a bad idea cause playback of a clip with any effect applied goes crazy, blinks and gives colored screens and all... 

Anyways the qualified GPU config file (can be found in supporting files/config) lists a few QUATROFX boards on the PC side and just the GEFORCE 8800GT on the mac side. So clearly no other card will be "recognized" by MC. The 8800GT is roughly the same generation and isn't a better card then my current one, so not an option.

Again I get very decent MC performance compared to other systems I've worked on but since we're updating the GPU for other tasks benefits, I might as well try to serve MC best. 

MacOS 12.4 / MC 2022.7 / 16'MacBookpro M1max 64gb / BMD ultrastudio monitor3G > JVCDTV24 / tangent wave2/ TB xtrm-q sabrent nvme ssd 8tb [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 13 2011 6:39 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,605

I'm not 100% sure on the Mac environment, but it may be slightly more complicated as the 12-Core Mac Pro is actually qualified with an ATI Radeon 5770...

So it's obviously more complicated than just "NVidia or nothing" but I don't really know enough about the technologies to figure that out.

Auckland, New Zealand

• Thu, Feb 17 2011 3:58 PM In reply to

• nicov
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 7 2006
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,770

Thanks, I think that the fact that the 12-Core Mac Pro is actually qualified with an ATI Radeon 5770 doesn't mean that MC will take advantage of the GPU and therefore enable acpl effects and the distributed processing between DX, CPU and GPU. The list of qualified GPUs is located in Media composer/supporting files/config/QualifiedGpuBoards.txt and doesn't include any ATI cards, for the mac only the nvidia geforce 8800 gt is listed, on the PC side just some Nvidia QUADROS and MC will only show the "qualified GPU found" message at start up if one of those is installed, otherwise acpl effects will defaults to off (this can be confirmed in the console by entering "acplgpueffects") and I doubt any distributed processing occurs..

It would all be easier if Avid clearly stated what you get based on your precise configurations instead of just coming with marketing sentences in the products description like "Media Composer software tightly integrates Mojo DX video hardware with your host computer's CPU and GPU, giving you a high-bandwidth effects engine that delivers without compromise--no matter what formats and codecs you use".

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/81869.aspx?PageIndex=8

Reading this thread where Marianna came up with some answers from engineering, things are obviously more complicated and even supported systems are no assurance that GPU acceleration is enabled.

On the PCs you need QUADROS, but on the mac ??? The only listed as "qualifiedGPU" is the 8800 gt witch will enable acpl effects but is underpowered for distributed processing. Maybe this feature is just unavailable for Mac users.

MacOS 12.4 / MC 2022.7 / 16'MacBookpro M1max 64gb / BMD ultrastudio monitor3G > JVCDTV24 / tangent wave2/ TB xtrm-q sabrent nvme ssd 8tb [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller