Latest post Mon, Oct 18 2010 8:51 PM by GusC. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 4 2010 8:32 PM

• founder
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 4 2010
    • Posts 31
    • Points 425

Avid DS Software Only Demo? / Compositing toolset

Hey,

Is it known whether or not the up coming Avid DS software only release will come in a usable demo version?

Also, for you DS users who have used other popular compositing software (Nuke, Fusion, etc), how would you say the compositing toolset rates?  Is it as full featured as those tools or is it more like what you get with Softimage's compositing tools or Toxik (which are great, just not as... something :) )  

Where does the DS compositing tools shine and go dull?

Thanks

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Oct 4 2010 9:51 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

Re: Avid DS Software Only Demo? / Compositing toolset

Avid DS 10.5 will continue to provide its Training Edition option.

But, and this is very important to understand, the Training Edition mode is NOT AT ALL a demo mode like it is available for Media Composer.

MC demo runs for 30 days and then expires.  You need to activate the product to continue to use it.  All projects and media that you created in demo mode remain valid.

With Avid DS, once the product has been fully opened in the Training Edition (unlicensed) mode, it does not expire and so you can use and learn the program for as long as you need.  But the program cannot later be licensed and projects will not convert into usable data.  This data will remain incompatible with a licensed Avid DS system and training projects will not even appear in the Project Root listing.  This is by design.

To answer your other questions, I will let Avid DS users propose their own experience and feedback.

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

• Mon, Oct 4 2010 10:45 PM In reply to

• founder
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 425

Thanks Sylvain.

I was hoping for something better than the training edition. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, and from what I've tried, I cannot install DS training edition on it.  Right now I'm running it in Microsoft's XP mode and it's a dog.  Also, I was hoping to be able to use the software as opposed to learning it, if only for a short time. But what is, is what is.  Maybe if I buy it, I'll just have to hold on to the receipt :)

Thanks for the input.

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:29 AM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,245

founder:
    Also, for you DS users who have used other popular compositing software (Nuke, Fusion, etc), how would you say the compositing toolset rates?

I currently use Nuke, used to use Combustion... my Nuke lic is on the same machine as DS, so it uses the disk array for cashes, the Aja for feeding my mon & scope... but mainly i use Nuke for only two things

1) i outsource alot of shots to freelancers, and EVERYONE is using Nuke now, i have it to open up scripts from the artists and see them play on a callabrated mon with scopes in rt off the array, mainly for Qc and tweaks

2) When i need to buld a comp in 3D, DS is uttely useless when you need to use Z depth, no way to import camera data from any of the 3D trackers... the rest of the 3D dve GUI generaly sucks, but who cares when you can't use it for the lack of camera data?

On the good side for DS - it's rocket, you can move very, very fast through comps in 2D...

It's miles and maybe lightyears faster than Nuke untill you reach DS's limits

They make a good combo, DS has 32bit float everywhere, great, flexiable & reliable colour managment, i know Nuke6 is a leap forward for color managment, but DS is far ahead on that file, and the CC in Nuke is... to be polite "limited" in comparision to DS's tools...

I would not want to be withot Nuke, but boy is it ever slooowwwwwwwwww......

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 5 2010 8:35 AM In reply to

• founder
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 31
    • Points 425

Thanks Dermot!

You are probably using DS with its hardware ensemble. If you could speculate, how fast do you think the software only version will be.

Also, any other comments are welcomed.

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 1:31 PM In reply to

There's only off-the-shelf components in a turn-key DS install, so if you spec your software-only system like a DS turn-key, it will be the same. That means HP Z800, Aja Kona, NVidia... your own choice of fast raid.

K

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 1:50 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,245

founder:
    You are probably using DS with its hardware ensemble. If you could speculate, how fast do you think the software only version will be.

If i disable the Xena card and boot DS, it opens as software...  the performance is identical, just in that case the I/O tool is grey'd out.

DS is very dependant on the GPU, so if you have a Fx4800 in your machine it should be happy, Xena does not affect performance, and DS discarded the Nitris hardware acelleration several versions ago

d.

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Oct 5 2010 6:44 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

Correct, the current Avid DS Training Edition is a Windows XP-based version.  The upcoming 10.5 release is a true Windows 7 port and it will install and work very well on that operating system.

But you are correct that you still will need to purchase Avid DS Software to run it as a licensed, and fully functional application, minus obviously Media I/O if you don't have an AJA Kona 3 card...

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 3:24 PM In reply to

• doxilia
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Posts 360
    • Points 4,395

Sylvain,

just to be sure I understand this correctly, Is the software only version essentially the same as the turnkey version except that it doesn't use Nitris DX hardware for I/O? Since I stopped using DS around the time the 2K dual link AJA option was introduced, I'm not clear on what hardware is required in order to capture or output projects from/to tape.

In other words, I'm unclear on whether 10.5 is designed as a full toolset "assist" package without I/O or whether the idea is that it can be coupled with AJA hardware for ALL I/O. If the latter is the case, what, if any, advantage does the turnkey system including Nitris DX have over an AJA only enabled system?

Finally, and I realize that pricing is not a subject often discussed in the forums, how does the 10.5 price point affect Symphony Nitris DX systems for 2D workflows? Will the 2 systems compare in terms of cost and will it be possible to run both applications (not simultaneously) off the same W7 64 bit boot drive? If so, will DS make full use of the Nitris hardware (and additionally AJA hardware if installed)?

Thanks, David.

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 4:00 PM In reply to

• GusC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 6,570

doxilia:
    I'm not clear on what hardware is required in order to capture or output projects from/to tape.

The DS abandoned the 'Nitris' hardware when it went 444, and has never used the new DX platform.  DS does all its I/O through the AJA card. My guess is that it won't change (though I'd love to see it use the DX for all the 444 Real-Time playback that Symphony has....).

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 4:25 PM In reply to

• doxilia
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Montreal, Canada
    • Posts 360
    • Points 4,395

Gus,

thanks for your reply.

So essentially, there is no hardware acceleration in DS currently other than what is provided by the GFX card? This is great for compositing but what of unrendered (e.g., with a simple CC effect) straight forward playback of 444 media or for that matter regular HDCAM? I take it the sequence effects need to be rendered first and then one obtains standard playback through AJA I/O? Is this true of higher res material than HD (e.g., 2K and 4K) - that is, one obtains HD proxy playback?

David.

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 8:51 PM In reply to

• GusC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 6,570

With the nVidia card in a z800, I get RT playback of Color Corrections, DVE/Resize and many other effects, all in full res 444 and 422.  The only time I use a proxy mode is in 2K, though there it is RT 2K capable.  As far as rendering, I throw that stuff off to a remote processor so waiting on effects is a non-issue most of the time.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller