Latest post Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:41 PM by M-Edit. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 10 2010 8:55 AM

• ripple
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 10 2010
    • Posts 35
    • Points 550

Hello and a newbie question

Hello Everyone!

I'm relatively new to ds (2 weeks in my new job and some experience about 5 years ago!), but not new to Avid (15 years on Media Composer).

Firstly, may I apologise in advance for any dumb questions I'm probably going to ask!

At the moment, I've been thrown in at the deep end and am starting editing on jobs straigt away. In an ideal world I would have liked to have started gently with some tutorials, and read through the manual but no such luck.

So, at the moment I am wondering...what is the equivalent of such and such from MC! The first is the extend tool...is their an equivalent in ds?

And the other is...on MC I can trim the in and outpoint of a clip by dragging around the clip from R-L, and then drag the rollers so I'm changing my in and out point at the same time. (does that make sense?). I've tried going into trim mode in ds and it's dog slow sometimes, taking ages to update.

Oh yes, and finally...can I have digital scrub in trim mode? You know, so you can hear each frame as you're trimming. I'm finding it difficult to trim audio without this.

I'll leave it there for now and I apologise if there are a lot of similar posts from MC people migrating to ds.

Bye for now

Ripple

• Tue, Aug 10 2010 12:03 PM In reply to

• Tommyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2006
    • Ann Arbor, MI
    • Posts 74
    • Points 915
    • Moderator: Avid DS

Re: Hello and a newbie question

Hello Ripple,

Welcome back to DS! There are no dumb questions.

On DS, to extend a clip, all you have to do is grab the end of the clip on the timeline and pull it out. Also works for making them shorter. once you put your courser near the end of the clip, it will change from an arrow to a pointer looking thing and you can grab the little ball looking part at the very end of a clip.

For your next question - same thing, only this time where two clips meet, as long as either side has handles, you can slide back and forth and it should update in your viewer.

For digital scrub - two ways - File\User Preferences - General tab - check the box for "Play Audio when scrubbing"

or, at eh bottom right, just below your timeline you'll see a little speaker icon, if it's green, you have audio scrubbing, if it's not - click it to switch over to green.

Good luck! Don't forget, in Ds, you can just grab clips and move them around on th timeline - very handy in straight up editing.

Tom

Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Aug 11 2010 5:08 AM In reply to

• ripple
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 35
    • Points 550

Hi Tom

Thanks for your quick reply!

I get how you can extend a clip with your method by dragging the little orange dot and moving the edit point which is great.  But what I would like to do...is I've found a point in a music track where I want my clip to extend to.  On MC I would mark an outpoint, hit extend and the clip would snap to this point. I suppose I could mark an outpoint and drag the edit point to the outpoint...there, I've answered my own question!

The next point...I don't think I explained myslef properly...sorry. What I want is an equivalent of sliding a shot in trim mode (where you get the 4 screen display), on the timeline.

I've got digital scub working on the timeline fine, but not in trim mode.

I do love how I can pick up clips and drag them around, it's a slightly different way of editing but I'm getting used to it!

Can I throw a couple more questions at you please?

Can i take a section of a sequence and either load this into the source monitor, or make a subclip from it? I've made a subclip from 1 shot in a sequence but haven't been able to do it for a series of shots.

Also, capturing shots from CD (audio tracks), as in MC they levels are sky high. What do you guys do to get around this? In MC I would change the level of the track in the source viewer so when playing it's at a comfortable volume and this remains when I edit it onto the timeline.

Thanks for your help

R

• Wed, Aug 11 2010 12:02 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

ripple:

Can i take a section of a sequence and either load this into the source monitor, or make a subclip from it? I've made a subclip from 1 shot in a sequence but haven't been able to do it for a series of shots.

The easiest way to achieve this would be to save a duplicate of the sequence (currently opened on the timeline), discard all material that you don't want included in the selected sequence section, and then save this smaller sequence.

When working on the master sequence, press and hold the Alt key and drag the small sequence to your timeline.  This loads the sequence as a reference, creating one video and audio clip.  And because it is a reference, if you modify the original smaller sequence, the changes are reflected in its reference clip.

This method is very useful when you have completed parts of a program that you can quickly load back to back on the timeline for a preview.  If any parts require changes, you open the referenced sequence and execute the modifications.  The nice thing about this reference option is that it loads only a few clips in the timeline and reads the data from the referenced sequences, leaving a much less busy timeline and freeing more memory for the system and application.

ripple:

Also, capturing shots from CD (audio tracks), as in MC they levels are sky high. What do you guys do to get around this? In MC I would change the level of the track in the source viewer so when playing it's at a comfortable volume and this remains when I edit it onto the timeline.

In DS, apply an audio effect (gain preset) directly on the audio clip, and lower its level. I usually use around minus 8 to 12, depending on the CD sources.

You could also apply this preset as a track effect but then you'll have to properly ripple the effect if your timeline span is modified and the clips are slipped.

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

• Wed, Aug 11 2010 7:35 PM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 265
    • Points 3,455
    • Moderator: MetaFuze

ripple:
    But what I would like to do...is I've found a point in a music track where I want my clip to extend to.  On MC I would mark an outpoint, hit extend and the clip would snap to this point.

With the clip selected (red outline) and the playhead parked at the position on the timeline you want to extend the clip to, hit the Page Down key.  You can also create a toolbar button for it, by selecting 'Customize Toolbars' from the Layout menu, switch the "Command Category" to "Editing", and then scroll down to find "Snap Out".  Drag it out onto an empty piece of toolbar.

ripple:
    What I want is an equivalent of sliding a shot in trim mode (where you get the 4 screen display), on the timeline. I've got digital scub working on the timeline fine, but not in trim mode.

You can select the edit point between two clips, where you get the big red flags on either side.  If you drag the flag on the right of the edit point (so the IN point of the second clip) and with ripple mode turned OFF, drag it left or right.  You'll see the frame update on the viewer, and when you let go the playhead will snap back to the edit point and you'll see the clip has updated to the new start frame.

You can also slip a clip's contents by selecting the "Clip" radio button at the bottom of the screen (instead of Timeline).  Then when you select a clip, the timecodes shown to the right refer to the source clip.. so you can for instance type in "15+" and hit enter in the 'S' timecode box (Start) to trim the clip source forward, or use the [ and ] keys to nudge a frame at a time, Ctrl+[ and Ctrl+] for 10 frames...

ripple:
    Also, capturing shots from CD (audio tracks), as in MC they levels are sky high. What do you guys do to get around this?

You can flip to the Audio layout while a clip is loaded in the source viewer and turn it down, but it will be full volume once edited onto the sequence.  The audio mixer doesn't work quite like MC's does;  To change the audio on a clip-by-clip basis, select it and apply a Gain clip effect to it.

• Thu, Aug 12 2010 6:19 AM In reply to

• M-Edit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 29 2009
    • Posts 226
    • Points 2,630

slabross:

In DS, apply an audio effect (gain preset) directly on the audio clip,
    and lower its level. I usually use around minus 8 to 12, depending
    on the CD sources.

Sylvain, while on the subject of high CD levels.

In v7.6 when I loaded an audioclip into the source monitor
    I then could reduce the level for listening purposes using
    the "source-audio-mixer" so to speak. This level adjustment
    then "stuck to the clip", so when I later loaded the same clip
    into the source monitor the level adjustment was still there.
    This was only as said for listening purposes, so when the che clip 
    landed on the timeline it was with the clips original level.
    But this was quite handy when working with both video and
    audio clips with a variety of levels.

In v10 it doesn't seem work this way. Everytime I return to an "
    adjusted source-level" clip, the mixer setting is reset to 0dB?

Quite annoying especially when working with audio ripped from
    CD's where levels are 0,5dB or less under digitial clip.

So is this another one of those "old features" gone missing,
    or just an unfortunate slip in the coding department?

//mike

• Thu, Aug 12 2010 9:33 AM In reply to

• ripple
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 35
    • Points 550

Thanks ManChicken!

That's helped a huge amount.

• Thu, Aug 12 2010 7:21 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

M-Edit:

So is this another one of those "old features" gone missing, or just an unfortunate slip in the coding department?

The DS development team never plan to annoy users when implementing code for new releases.

Some "old features" were indeed gone missing during the 32-bit operating system transition to 64-bit. Some legacy code just couldn't make the jump. The 3D Warp effects are one such example.

In this specific case that you mention, a few past versions allowed you to load clips in the source side viewer and apply effects that "sticked". Unfortunately, engineering found this "feature" to also have undesirable results, and they reworked the feature as Source Effects (unfortunately not supporting audio).

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

• Mon, Aug 16 2010 9:06 PM In reply to

• M-Edit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 226
    • Points 2,630

slabross:
    The DS development team never plan to annoy users when implementing code for new releases.

No, I guess not. That wouldn't be such a bright marketing idea, would it. Confused

But then again... Wink

So "Source Effects" were in 7.6 too, wasn't it? Alongside with the "feature" 
    (or maybe mishalf)  I'm talking about, or?

And I never thought of it as a function for putting effects directly on top
    of the audio clip, but merely as a "I-will-remember-this-clips-audio-level-
    the-next-time-you-shove-it-into-the-source-monitor-again"- type of function.

And the reason for that I keep groaning and moaning on the subject of coding
    is because I have a hard time belivieving that the camera-related parameters
    Dolly, Pan and Roll made it into the 64-bit coded 3D-DVE but the parameter
    "Zoom" didn't, due to that fact that "the code couldn't make the jump"?
    Aren't we're talking mathematical expressions here?

The DS10 manual for example under the heading
    "Manipulating The Camera" states:

To zoom the camera:

1.   From the 3D DVE toolbar, click the Zoom button.

2.   In the viewer, drag down/left to zoom in or drag up/right to zoom out.

Well. as said many times before, it seems to work in "Direct View"
    but noting ever happens on the "Output". And in my mind it looks more
    like someone has overlooked or plainly missed something.

And the will to fix it doesn't seem to be especially high either,
    since I really belived this issue (in there since 10.0.0) would
    have been solved by 10.3. So pardon my coding mistrusts when
    it comes to other "old features gone missing".

//mike

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 10:09 AM In reply to

• M-Edit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 226
    • Points 2,630

M-Edit:
    ...I have a hard time belivieving that the camera-related parameters
    Dolly, Pan and Roll made it into the 64-bit coded 3D-DVE but the parameter
    "Zoom" didn't

Okey, so the activity on this forum is so low that you
    have to start quoting yourself. Wink

Anyway, I forgot one other parameter that also made into
    64-bit 3D-DVE wonderland.

These made it:
    "Camera Pan" (affects "Position x, y" & "Interest x, y")
    "Dolly" (affects "Position x")
    "Tumble" (affects "Position x, y & z)
    "Roll" (affects "Roll Angle")

All the above also shows the result when switching from
    "Direct view" to "Normal view".

But "Camera Zoom" (affects "Field of View - Angle") doesn't.

So again, to me it seems that there is a missing linkage
    between the "Field of view - Angle" parameter when using
    it in the "output"-module as opposed to using it in the
    "direct view"-module.

So, could someone PLEASE take a look at this... [:'(]

...again?

//mike

• Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:41 PM In reply to

• M-Edit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 226
    • Points 2,630

M-Edit:
    Sylvain, while on the subject of high CD levels.

In v7.6 when I loaded an audioclip into the source monitor
    I then could reduce the level for listening purposes using
    the "source-audio-mixer" so to speak. This level adjustment
    then "stuck to the clip", so when I later loaded the same clip
    into the source monitor the level adjustment was still there.
    This was only as said for listening purposes, so when the che clip 
    landed on the timeline it was with the clips original level.
    But this was quite handy when working with both video and
    audio clips with a variety of levels.

In v10 it doesn't seem work this way. Everytime I return to an "
    adjusted source-level" clip, the mixer setting is reset to 0dB?

Quite annoying especially when working with audio ripped from
    CD's where levels are 0,5dB or less under digitial clip.

So is this another one of those "old features" gone missing,
    or just an unfortunate slip in the coding department?

//mike

Just reallized that the issue with a clips adjusted audio levels 
    resets when returning to the clip in the source window
    seem to have been fixed in 10.3.1.

Now when I through in a clip again (that I've previously adjusted
    the source-levels for) the level is remembered.

Great.

//mike

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller