Latest post Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:35 PM by KK721. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 5 2010 2:04 PM

• johnwnyc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 5 2010
    • Posts 10
    • Points 150

Media Composer 5 -- is AMA suitable for long format docs?

I'm working on something with about 80+ hours of footage, half of that as interviews shot on P2 media (720p DVCPRO HD) and the rest in a hodge podge of mixed formats, including SD archival and photographs (think history doc). The P2 cards are all saved by now to hard drives.

For those of you who have experience working with this volume of media in a long format piece, in your opinion is it better to transcode everything from the get-go to, say, DNxHD, or should I leave the P2 media as-is on the hard drive and access it via an AMA link?

IF there's a preference to transcode, and we want to economize on drive space, is the offline-lowres / online-finishing res workflow for the P2 media via AMA relatively easy? 

Considerations:

-- There are multiple editors on the project, ideally on different parts of the edit at the same time. However, we are not working off a shared storage solution, just ol' FW hard drives
    -- We'll need to make regular outputs for screening, and want to have a workflow that'll ensure a smooth online and color correct
    -- We're working on a fairly capable 2 x 4 core MacPro

Many thanks,
    John

Media Composer (software) 5.0.3.8 OS 10.6.7, 2.66GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , ,
  • Thu, Aug 5 2010 3:09 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,260
    • Points 30,670

Re: Media Composer 5 -- is AMA suitable for long format docs?

My advice is to use AMA to pre-screen/selects and then go the more traditional DNxHD route.  AMA is still a work in progress, one that shows great promise, but still, in progress.

sw

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Thu, Aug 5 2010 7:14 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,287
    • Points 15,715

It's fairly easy to reconnect to the original media when done, so my advice would be to transcode everything to DNxHD and avoid possible AMA issues. Especially with a lot of footage and several editors...

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig RAM, Mojo DX, 10.14.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:35 PM In reply to

• KK721
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 21 2010
    • Posts 35
    • Points 475

I'm working with 2 editors and have 150 hours of footage (about 8 TB) for a long form doc and I too have mixed media. Some imported MXF and the rest linked to AMA.

We are using sonnet drives and not unity.  I haven't had any problems with AMA, once in awhile I have offline clips, but all I have had to do is either open the bin where the clips live or relink to AMA volume and I'm good to go.

AMA has made transferring media very quick.

K

Mac OSX 10.6.3 Media Composer 5.0.3 Sonnet Drive connect via ESATA matrox mini [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller