Latest post Wed, Jun 9 2010 12:16 AM by BobbyMurcerFan. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 7 2010 8:32 PM

• Dreamer D
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 18 2007
    • NYC
    • Posts 145
    • Points 2,090

Post-production dilemma

Hello all...

I am a student who has not yet upgraded my software from Xpress Pro Academic.  My system apparently needs upgrading, too, in order to handle MC Academic.  Last year I graduated from a community college where I had developed a good relationship with everyone in the media department, and transferred to a senior college, where I am not a film major (I'm in a special customized degree program) and don't know very many people. 

Right now, I have a dilemma: I produced a project shot on HDV, thinking I would have access to my old school's media lab over the summer to edit it, since I don't have a deck at home that supports HDV (I just usually use an SD camcorder) and they have told me in the past that I can still use their facilities even though I moved on to a different school.  However, I was just informed that they are renovating now and I cannot use it this summer.  My current school only lets students use their labs if they are film majors, which I am not, and they do not seem to have summer hours. 

I need to edit this project, which is something I did as an exercise in learning various aspects of production.  It was recorded to HD mini-DV tape (I have audio files on a CD), and I really want to complete this thing!  My budget is very low, so I'm not sure if I should upgrade my system (which means I'd have to delay editing this until I can raise some funds to upgrade) or just rent an editing suite at a post house or facility geared toward low-budget, to get it done NOW, and upgrade my system when I can.  I'm leaning toward using an editing suite, but it seems I can't find any for less than $250/day.  I can't afford that!  Is it possible to get editing facilities to donate to a project?  I don't know anyone who will let me just use theirs, but I guess I will have to start asking around.  Thing is most people I know have Macs and use FCP, and I only have a little exposure to FCP.  I prefer Avid on a PC.  Also, I'd have to buy an external drive if I go somewhere, and am not sure what kind to get.

Sorry to ramble so long.  I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place - any suggestions?  I'm in NYC.  Thanks!

Avid Xpress Pro v5.8......Dell Precision Workstation 390......Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13GHz/Dual-core)......Windows XP Pro (SP2)......2 GB DDR2 ECC SDRAM... [view my complete system specs]

I edit in my dreams*

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 8:40 PM In reply to

Re: Post-production dilemma

I would edit that for free if I was anywhere near...

Why do you have the audio on separate CD?

250/per day?

I don't get this. Going from XpressPro to MC 5 will be not even 2 days of editing on rent.

For HDV project (1 stream) even USB2 will be fine.

And I think your system could hold on for HDV.

Desktop

Asus Ζ690 TUF Gaming WiFi D4|i5 12600K|Corsair 128G DDR4|Asus 3060 12GB|Samsung 980 500GB(OS)|2X1TB Samsung 980 RAID 0|W11 Pro

Laptop 

MSI Katana GF76 11UE (i7 11800H|Nvidia 3060|Crucial 64G DDR4)|W11 Pro

NLE

DR Studio 18.1.2|MC 2022.12

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 8:42 PM In reply to

Hello Diane:

You may want to consider the upgrade route at this time, since as an XPRO owner, you can upgrade to Media Composer for $395 (basic download upgrade) or $495 (Box set upgrade with production suite 3rd party bundle). That's 2 days (box set) at the day rate you were quoted. In the case of the box set, that's over $6,000 worth of software if sold separately at MSRPs. And you will be entitled to a FREE basic download upgrade to Media Composer 5 when it's released on Thursday. Check your computer against the Media Composer system requirements.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 8:44 PM In reply to

• GeorgeD
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,570

Did you know Avid has a fully functinal 30 day demo for download? If you have the camera you can capture from it via Firewire ... uhm hopefully...

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 8:46 PM In reply to

• Dreamer D
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 145
    • Points 2,090

Thanks, Larry.  I do want to upgrade the software anyway but think I would also have to upgrade my workstation with new video card, new processor, other stuff, AND get a deck.  That all adds up. 

George, I only have a little SD camcorder - this project was shot by someone else using her camera. 

Anyway, I'm not a techie and would need guidance on how best to do this upgrade.  It's things like this that make me feel overwhelmed and unsure what to do.

Avid Xpress Pro v5.8......Dell Precision Workstation 390......Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13GHz/Dual-core)......Windows XP Pro (SP2)......2 GB DDR2 ECC SDRAM... [view my complete system specs]

I edit in my dreams*

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 8:53 PM In reply to

• Dreamer D
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 145
    • Points 2,090

sverkalo:
    Why do you have the audio on separate CD?

Better sound that way - also because we had the camera on a dolly and so we got a sound guy to record separately so he wouldn't need to be tethered to the camera.  I devised this project as a way to learn lots of things, including what it's like to hire people.  And I wanted professional audio.

I edit in my dreams*

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 9:05 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,605
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

As a student you are eligible for a brand new copy of Media Composer for only $295, with four years of free upgrades!!

The PC - I think you could probably upgrade to a reasonable degree for under a grand if your are willing to build it yourself. There are people on the forums who could give you pointers.

For the deck - well trickier, I guess... But try a borrow a camera perhaps?

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 9:10 PM In reply to

• GeorgeD
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 212
    • Points 2,570

Not hard to upgrade. Uninstall XPress. Install MC Demo. Oh look it works! The thing that helps most is to add another 2G memory. Buy HDV camcorder from Best Buy/ Samsclub / Costco. Capture. Return it.

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 9:12 PM In reply to

You could try to sent it to some member that will be glad to help you to digitise them and to send them back in some DVD's as .m2t which will be fast imported by MC.

For once again I could do it for you but I am somehow long enough and on PAL land.

I don't know if my HV30 can capture NTSC tapes.

Desktop

Asus Ζ690 TUF Gaming WiFi D4|i5 12600K|Corsair 128G DDR4|Asus 3060 12GB|Samsung 980 500GB(OS)|2X1TB Samsung 980 RAID 0|W11 Pro

Laptop 

NLE

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 9:35 PM In reply to

An HDV deck rental from my favorite rental house here in Boston only runs maybe $75-$175/day (depending on the deck etc)

You could rent something one day and capture what you needed and use your XpressPro software.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 9:40 PM In reply to

• Dreamer D
    • Not Ranked
    • NYC
    • Posts 145
    • Points 2,090

Kenton.VanNatten:

An HDV deck rental from my favorite rental house here in Boston only runs maybe $75-$175/day (depending on the deck etc)

You could rent something one day and capture what you needed and use your XpressPro software. 

I hadn't thought of renting a deck.  But I didn't think my system as it is now can support HDV.  Hmm...

I edit in my dreams*

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 9:57 PM In reply to

An Intel Core 2 Duo can handle HDV fine.

Desktop

Laptop 

NLE

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 10:07 PM In reply to

Dreamer D:
    I didn't think my system as it is now can support HDV

Why not?  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 10:11 PM In reply to

It will support HDV, but you'll be better off transcoding to a DnX resolution immediately and edit that way, since in your case HDV is not a native format.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 7 2010 10:15 PM In reply to

I don't know what Xpress can do but HDV is "lighter" format to work with.

Desktop

Laptop 

NLE

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller