Latest post Fri, May 14 2010 8:28 PM by OliverPeters. 163 replies.
Page 5 of 11 (164 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 4 2010 5:56 AM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 397
    • Points 4,735
    • Moderator: Avid DS

Re: Who is the DS Product Manager inside of Avid?

GusC:

tonyjover:
    Whilst that may well be true for LA, that market has never been the biggest for DS.

And I wonder why that might be? Confused 

I have no idea, I guess you'd have to ask someone who knows about marketing.

Oh, wait....

• Wed, May 5 2010 9:04 AM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 397
    • Points 4,735

So what about the subject line of this thread then?

Anyone want to step up and tell us:

1. Who is the DS Product Manager?

2. What is their remit?

3. What expoerience do they have in the market?

4. What experience do they have with DS?

Thanks,
    Tony

• Wed, May 5 2010 9:13 PM In reply to

Marianna:

Just heard from Vincent who is just about ready to get on a plane from LA to Tewksbury so he should be on later today.  I sent this to him and he knows he needs to respond and will once he lands and gets settled.

Stand by.......

Marianna

Marianna,

Excuse me, but what happened here? Are we still supposed to "stand by"?

I hope the plane did not crash or anything...

K

• Wed, May 5 2010 9:20 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Intoxicator:

Marianna:

Just heard from Vincent who is just about ready to get on a plane from LA to Tewksbury so he should be on later today.  I sent this to him and he knows he needs to respond and will once he lands and gets settled.

Stand by.......

Marianna

Marianna,

Excuse me, but what happened here? Are we still supposed to "stand by"?

I hope the plane did not crash or anything...

K

Don't shoot the messanger here.....   

Vincent did land and he did post on area's he is responsible for.  I was able to connect with Dave Colantuoni the Director of Product Management and he provided the following post.  Before you slam him for not posting directly, he has been unavailable but sent me the below last night and will chime in as soon as he can.....

For now.... here is what he has to say ....

This is Dave Colantuoni and I am the Product Manager for DS.   Many times, the responses you see from Marianna regarding development etc. come from me through her request and are then posted.  I generally do not post directly to the forums, although you will see more of Product Management for all Avid products becoming more active in the forums, blogging and social media within the coming months.

Being the Product Manager for DS (as well as the Product Manager for  Media Composer, Symphony and NewsCutter) I set the roadmap (with feedback from many, many internal and external sources) and direct the development teams on upcoming releases.  Along with being the PM for DS, I also manage the Product Management and Product Design teams for the professional products at Avid.  For DS, I work closely with the team in Montreal who are responsible for developing features and testing DS.   

I know there will be many issues and topics you would like to discuss, and I can address those as needed.  One caveat, I can’t discuss futures as Avid is a public company and we encounter revenue recognition issues should we announce a feature before they ship.  No way around this one….  and is a bit complicated but it’s a financial rule based on the Sarbanes–Oxley Act that prevents us from discussing features before we ship. This isn’t something Avid hides behind, many companies must follow this as a matter of doing business.   I can tell you that we do have product development actively working on DS.  This is a team that is prepared to deliver incremental features, OS updates and new CPU certification.   

I encourage your passion about DS and Avid products and appreciate the positive and negative comments that you share with us.  Like I said, Marianna will ask for my comments as she will Vincent’s on many of the issues you discuss here on the community and I will continue to send my comments back though her for the time being but I would be happy to engage in a conversation about DS sometime in the near future.

Dave"

marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 5 2010 10:41 PM In reply to

Marianna:

Don't shoot the messanger here.....   

Vincent did land and he did post on area's he is responsible for.

I weren't shooting, not even aiming. Just asking if we were meant to still be stand by. You posted in this forum and in this thread, and there was no followup here.

Now that you've posted the quote from Dave, be aware that there is a serious communication breach developing between us. "Us" being you the manufacturer; and we the buyers, users and advocates of your products.

We're fully aware of the SOX act. It's been discussed here several times. We also know that the same act applies in the same way to other companies similar to you, let's mention Adobe and Autodesk. And we compare your actions to theirs. And from a customer viewpoint you don't compare well.

I'm just saying. And I'm not standing by.

K

• Wed, May 5 2010 10:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Knut...

Fair enough....  

So Dave did post and now you know who the DS product Manager is...    outside of future direction what else does he need to address? 

Marianna

• Wed, May 5 2010 10:58 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,245

Marianna:

Knut...

Fair enough....  

So Dave did post and now you know who the DS product Manager is...    outside of future direction what else does he need to address? 

Marianna

Marketing - is he satsfied with the current state of affairs?

or is he looking to review, and change where weaknesses are apperant?

Has David ran a DS ever?

Or has David taken any of the DS courses on offer to Avid managment?

always glad to help, it's good to hearing from folks who can make changes

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 5 2010 11:25 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Fair enough D....

I'll ask and see if he is around tomorrow.... I know he has been unavailable but he responds to email.  I'll forward this to him....and follow up.

I wont say stand by as you know what trouble that gets me in. :)

Marianna

• Wed, May 5 2010 11:39 PM In reply to

Marianna:

Knut...

Fair enough....  

Okay then.

Right now you have a situation where customers of a specific product you distribute no longer trust you, or trust that you actually know what the product is, how it is used, what position it has, where its strengths are. Case(s) in point: You're not marketing it, you're recommending workflows using your competitor's products (stereoscopic), you're unprepared for questions about it at your main press event at the main industry conference, you're not giving any priority to the dedicated forums or participating in any way exept the most basic, not even to clear misconceptions about your intentions.

Let's compare: Adobe has lead developers doing their own blogs where they outline their thoughts about industry trends and the way forward; taking in general about their ideas and thoughts for a product and a market segment. They contribute to science projects with various universities and show technology previews at conferences like Siggraph. They post knowledgable info in various user forums. This is obviously not the same as revealing sensitive information about a product's future development, or they wouldn't do it. Other comparable public companies do similar things.

Your main problem is trust and communication. Communicating is not the same as posting a communique (ref above) or writing sloganizer-verbose about new thinking, end to end workflows, tools for storytellers. It is to reveal your thoughts and opinions, engage with others in discussion, show your knowledge and experience, explain your standpoints.

So. You're not being asked to reveal details about the future direction of DS or any other specific product. You're being asked to prove yourselves. Explain yourselves. Reveal and engage yourselves. Because "we" don't trust, nor understand you any longer.

And this is my last word on this subject.

K

• Wed, May 5 2010 11:56 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Knut,

Like Dermot's post with questions... I'll send this along as well. 

BTW I assume since you are on most sites, you have seen and contributed to the Avid Inside Out blog: http://www.avid.com/inside

Marianna

• Thu, May 6 2010 12:15 AM In reply to

I said I was done here, but:

Marianna:
    BTW I assume since you are on most sites, you have seen and contributed to the Avid Inside Out blog: http://www.avid.com/inside

I HOPE this is not an invitation to have me blogging on your corporate very web 1.0 user forum??

Trust me, the day I start actual blogging about Avid is the day I give totally up on you; it will not be pretty.

(BTW; Love the Eleven rack, have to get one of those).

K

(Post posting addendum: For a good example of competitor's blogs, read through Michael Coleman's Keyframes to see just how much was revealed about AE CS5 long before AE CS5 was announced: http://blogs.adobe.com/keyframes/)

• Thu, May 6 2010 12:27 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

And here I thought you were done... :) 

Aware of Colemans blog....  I just know what "I" can venture into and what I can't.  I'll be sure to send your constructive web comments to the web team... 

Marianna

• Thu, May 6 2010 12:38 AM In reply to

Marianna:

I'll be sure to send your constructive web comments to the web team... 

LOL!

Let me put it another way: I'll use my force for 'the good side' once you give me ONE HUGE GOOD REASON to do so.

::gone::

K

• Thu, May 6 2010 12:40 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Intoxicator:

Marianna:

I'll be sure to send your constructive web comments to the web team... 

LOL!

Let me put it another way: I'll use my force for 'the good side' once you give me ONE HUGE GOOD REASON to do so.

::gone::

K

Deal...  Now let me eat dinner and then get working to see what I can do.

Marianna

marianna

• Thu, May 6 2010 12:46 AM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,765
      Moderator: MetaFuze

>>(Post posting addendum: For a good example of competitor's blogs, read through Michael Coleman's Keyframes to see just how much was revealed about AE CS5 long before AE CS5 was announced: http://blogs.adobe.com/keyframes/)<<

I'm docking him one point. He used the term "game changing" in the second paragraph. Stick out tongue

-M

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

Page 5 of 11 (164 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller