Latest post Wed, May 5 2010 5:18 PM by tonyjover. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 11:44 AM

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,260
    • Points 30,670

Avid - Employee Training

Hey Kirk, et. al -

Maybe this is not feasible, but I think all Avid employees should know SOMETHING about the products the company markets and sells (call me crazy).  Unfortunately it seems that there are some layers in Avid who don't seem to really know what the company offers to it's user base or potential user base.  Not saying that every employee should be an editor or sound mixer, but it would be great if everyone, from you and Gary to sales and marketing to middle managment who usually don't deal directly with product issues, got some sort of hands-on work with the product line.  Perhaps part of the company orientation is broad brush training on Avid products and can be done on a quarterly basis.  You have plenty of MC/Symph/NC in-house for trainers and there are enough DS volunteers to come to Tewks and train on that system.  Or at the very least, each employee completes the tutorial included with the various products.

On a much much MUCH smaller scale, I did something like this with a post house I ran in Richmond in the 1990's.  Once a month, for as long as it took, we had a "technical breakfast" for account managers, receptionists, adminstration, etc that covered the products we had at our shop, what each system could do and the workflow that worked best for each.  It created a much more aware staff who were better able to talk to customers and create much more "real world" budgets and schedules. Staff morale also went up significantly.

I think Avid would also see many benefits if their employees are more aware of its product line and what each system can and can't do.  Of course,  you will get some employees are saying "we can't do that" or "why do we need to know that"...those are the folks who are too comfortable and really NEED a wakeup call.  And who knows, Kirk, maybe you will find out that you really want to be an editor or sound designer!  This type of idea could also be expanded to resellers.  In today's competitive climate, knowledge is power.

Of course, if you are doing something like this already...."never mind!" Smile

Scott

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 2:38 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

Re: Avid - Employee Training

Hi

It makes me a bit sad to realize that this is not a joke, and I have to say that you're actually making an excellent point here.

I fully agree with you that something is wrong in the current picture, and as dismal as it may sound, each and every company I know of in this industry that had the same problem, i.e. good or even great products, ignorant marketing staff, failing communication with loyal and dedicated costomer's etcetera... They all went belly up and are now forgotten.

I'm not saying this is some inevitable scenario for Avid, but seeing you trying so hard to get their attention with little or no response is a very bad sign...

Also, I just can't help feeling that the front page of this company's web site says something about where their thoughts are at the moment. At the top - a hip hop artist, followed by banners for MC, NAB and DigiDesign.

All fine and dandy, but the competition does things a bit differently. They promote their finest High End systems on the first page, and you certainly never have to dig deep to even see them mentioned.

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 2:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Scott,

We have an Internal Training group who supports sales and professional services, customer support, and our channel partners. They are responsible for the development, design, and delivery of technical product training on new and existing product lines. Internal Training also makes available courses for the product knowledge needs of each and every Avid employee.

In fact, I've taken a broadcast newsroom class from Steve Wilcox who is a member of this community, and felt much better prepared afterwards to address that market with online programs.

Almost as good as your HR tech breakfasts as I recall :)

-AK

Sr. Director | Customer Experience [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 2:52 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,260
    • Points 30,670

Adam Kranitz:
    Internal Training also makes available courses for the product knowledge needs of each and every Avid employee.

Hey Adam -

Good to hear, so maybe this is a "never mind" post, but is this training mandatory?  I think it should be as part of coming on board at Avid.

Adam Kranitz:
    In fact, I've taken a broadcast newsroom class from Steve Wilcox who is a member of this community, and felt much better prepared afterwards to address that market with online programs.

Exactly the result that should happen.

best -

Scott

Scott Witthaus

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 3:00 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

switthaus:
    is this training mandatory?  I think it should be as part of coming on board at Avid.

Totally agree. The Internal Training programs available for employees are pretty aggressively promoted. While not mandatory from the corporate-level, I have had managers who made continuous education (education both in my functional role and education in the markets/products I serve) part of my performance review. I suspect most managers do the same.

-AK

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 3:23 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,245

Adam Kranitz:
    The Internal Training programs available for employees are pretty aggressively promoted.

Adam;

Good to see clear (and positive) answers

What do you do about DS? As we know it's not developed in Tweks, and it seems that there is not a human who knows the system there either?

And how do can reconcile the training on offer -VS- Avid's take on how to finish stereo?

Did training just miss the Stereo Containers on offer in DS since v8?

Or is there no internal training on DS?

Will the internal training team be addressing some of these shortcomings?

I know, i know... so many questions....

Thanks again

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 27 2010 3:34 PM In reply to

• Tommyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2006
    • Ann Arbor, MI
    • Posts 74
    • Points 915
    • Moderator: Avid DS

Adam,

Thanks for taking the time to respond so quickly. I know it's appreciated. And it's great that some are taking the training. I do hope that more Senior level decision makers make an effort to learn the products. It really could make a huge difference in direction of the products.

Maybe you could push this a bit more? Get Carolyn to start an executive training session, start with some online tutorials and general tours? Come on, you know you want to!

Thanks,

Tom

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 3:57 PM In reply to

editdudes:
    the front page of this company's web site says something about where their thoughts are at the moment.

editdudes:
    the competition does things a bit differently. They promote their finest High End systems on the first page

Just a few months ago, there were lengthy threads discussing how Avid needs to change its image from being an exclusively expensive high-end product to being a little more entrenched in the lower market spectrum.  

Now you're suggesting that they are focusing too much on the low-end?  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 4:59 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

dermot:
    What do you do about DS?

As far as DS training, any employee has the opportunity to take DS 101, DS 220, DS 324, and/or DS 400, at an Avid Authorized Training Partner (AATP) location at their manager's approval. DS 101 is also available for employees to take online through the ALEX e-learning portal, again at their manager's approval.

Full disclosure, I have not taken the DS courses yet. My pre-Avid background is in professional video post for broadcast and corp comm. During that time, I sold and marketed the services of some pretty talented DS artists in the Mid-Atlantic. Although I'll admit it wouldn't hurt to go back for some refresher courses. However, I'm eyeballing our professional audio post courses (Pro Tools) right now, because that's where my knowledge gap sits.

-AK

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 5:11 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,589
    • Points 256,010
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Tommyp:

Maybe you could push this a bit more? Get Carolyn to start an executive training session, start with some online tutorials and general tours? Come on, you know you want to!

Hi Tom, I'll poke the training group on this. I think however (and I'm a little biased in this) that our customer's DS tutorials are the best.

-AK

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 6:30 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,260
    • Points 30,670

Kenton.VanNatten:

Just a few months ago, there were lengthy threads discussing how Avid needs to change its image from being an exclusively expensive high-end product to being a little more entrenched in the lower market spectrum.  

Avid has a huge brand image problem.  Can anyone say what the Avid brand means or stands for?  They really are all over the board.  Products are getting much better, brand message is still terrible.  Who is Avid's advertising agency of record?

Scott Witthaus

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 8:44 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

Kenton.VanNatten:

If DS and Symphony are much harder to find on the site than Pinnacle's home video stuff, then I'd have to say Yes!

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Wed, May 5 2010 9:23 AM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 397
    • Points 4,735
    • Moderator: Avid DS

Adam Kranitz:
    As far as DS training, any employee has the opportunity to take...

Hi Adam,

A suggestion was recently made to a VP that it might be a good idea for a talented DS Artist to give an in-house DS demo to pertinent Avid staff.  This wouldn't be 'hard work' like a 101 course, more a "Wow, it can do that?" kind of demo.  I think a lot of eyes could be opened with such an excercise.

Maybe schedule the same on a bi-annual basis - half a day, twice a year, for new staff and staff that couldn't make the earlier one.

Someone once said "Knowledge is power" but he probably wasn't anyone important Wink

Tony

• Wed, May 5 2010 4:16 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,245

tonyjover:
    Someone once said "Knowledge is power" but he probably wasn't anyone important Wink

Joe Strummer & Mick Jones said "Anger can be power";

Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
    D'you know how you can use it?
    The voices in your head are calling
    Stop wasting your time, there's nothing coming
    Only a fool would think, someone could save you
    The men at the factory are old and cunning
    You don't owe nothing, so boy get running
    It's the best years of your life they want to steal

E-Z to play too, all cowboy chords.

Let me join in the call for a hot DS artist who is actualy working in the real world to do a dog & pony show for the folks at the factory and the sales sharks...

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, May 5 2010 4:57 PM In reply to

But, Einstein said "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller