Latest post Thu, May 6 2010 4:12 PM by Vincent Maza. 61 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Apr 25 2010 9:45 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 397
    • Points 4,735
    • Moderator: Avid DS

Re: Avid promotes competitors?

switthaus:
    ok, I'll bite.  I honestly have no idea what they have been doing? 

Talk to Paul Neal.  Stereoscopic on DS is the only thing he's been doing for over two years.

Tony

• Sun, Apr 25 2010 11:09 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,260
    • Points 30,670

tonyjover:
    Stereoscopic on DS is the only thing he's been doing for over two years.

Oh great.  So Avid trumpets that Avatar was cut on Media Composer, in reality a really old version (I heard MC 2.8?), but ignores the fact that one of their products has been doing stereoscopic for high profile clients?  Y'know, stereoscopic that was the rage of NAB 2010?  Once again, it seems obvious that Avid has a layer of folks (read: marketing) who have no idea what is going on in the "real" world.  Very disheartening.  All I can say is that Avid better hope Apple is losing interest in the pro-apps side of things and Smoke on a Mac does not take off, because they are ripe for getting their a$$es kicked....again...grrrrrr...

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 5:29 AM In reply to

I was talking to a friend today about the various threads going on right now regarding DS & Stereoscopic.  He suggested...

... Avid should pick a bunch of the top DS users, and fly them all to Tewks for a several-day power session.  Let these guys write the product description for the web-site, and also write "white papers" that describe application/project specific work-flows.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 7:57 AM In reply to

switthaus:
    Avid trumpets that Avatar was cut on Media Composer, in reality a really old version (I heard MC 2.8?), but ignores the fact that one of their products has been doing stereoscopic for high profile clients?

I've been critical of Avid marketing... hoping for change... But if this is true then it is time some people take responsibility for their failures...

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 8:54 AM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 397
    • Points 4,735

Randall L Rike:

... Avid should pick a bunch of the top DS users, and fly them all to Tewks for a several-day power session.  Let these guys write the product description for the web-site, and also write "white papers" that describe application/project specific work-flows.

In a similar vein, a small group of experienced DS users have recently suggested during a conference call to a VP (who's name I shan't mention at this stage for good reasons) that it might be a very good idea for an experienced DS op to visit Tewks and give a high-end demo to senior management and marketing folks to actually show them what DS is capable of.  I genuinely believe that many of those managers and marketing folk have really no idea, and such a demo could enlighten them as to DS's strengths and weaknesses. I am aware of at least three US-based DS artists who have volunteered to do this demo at short notice if the offer is taken up.

This whole Stereoscopic nonsense is simply another in a long, long line of examples of blatant ignorance of DS's capabilities.

Time will tell how seriously this offer has been received within Avid.

Tony

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 1:42 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,260
    • Points 30,670

Randall L Rike:
    Avid should pick a bunch of the top DS users, and fly them all to Tewks for a several-day power session. 

Funny thing is that in the early days of DS, Softimage would do just that.  They would have a panel of DS folk that would answer questions from the sales and marketing staff at a large meeting.  That way, sales and marketing knew what the product could do, how it was being used in the "real world" and how to sell it to new customers.   Go figure...real users talking to the company that makes, markets and sells the product.  What a concept.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 2:35 PM In reply to

• Dancewwolf
    • Not Ranked
    • Northern California
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

We are considering purchasing a Quantel system for 3D finishing.  I have a dual boot Symphony Classic/DS DNA I/O system, so what you are saying is all I would have to do is upgrade the DS system and I can finish Stereocopic 3D.  Correct?

Jim

2xSymphony Nitris Classic. xw8400, 4xMedia Composer DX, xw8600, 2x Media Composer Software/MojoSD. xw8200. 16TB Unity storage. 1xProToolsHD audio suite... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Apr 26 2010 5:29 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,996
    • Points 38,075

Dancewwolf:
    so what you are saying is all I would have to do is upgrade the DS system and I can finish Stereocopic 3D.  Correct?

This is what we are trying to discern. We need an official word from Avid, or you could try to contact the folks that are currently finishing 3D on DS and find out if there are any limitations.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 5:54 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,320

I thought the quantel had more tools to fix stereoscopic problems.

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 6:22 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 397
    • Points 4,735

I don't think the point here is whether or not DS has all the best tools, but whether it has the ability to complete 3D finishing. If it does (and it does) why don't Avid appear to know so? 

If we're only concerned with 'best tools' then why don't Avid say on their website "When you've completed your offline on Media Composer you can then export it as an EDL or AAF and do a grade with any of the grading tools such as Apple Color or DaVinci"?

Tony

• Mon, Apr 26 2010 11:22 PM In reply to

switthaus:
    Avid trumpets that Avatar was cut on Media Composer, in reality a really old version (I heard MC 2.8?)

Just a detail but: how is MC 2.8 a "really old version" for a movie that was released in 2009? Version 2.8 dates from the end of 2007. Could well be that this was the most up-to-date version of MC at the time that they started, and that they did not feel like upgrading midstream.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 26 2010 11:25 PM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,765
      Moderator: MetaFuze

Kind of illustrates the point. If you were to call Quantel, or check their website, they are not telling you to finish your stereoscopic projects on Autodesk, Assimilate, Nuke or any of the other available systems. Even though they won't have every tool necessary for every project, who does? In fact, wouldn't they inquire of their customer base as to what they are missing, maybe hold a focus group?

Michael Forrest

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 8:26 AM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,440

mrmikster:

Kind of illustrates the point. If you were to call Quantel, or check their website, they are not telling you to finish your stereoscopic projects on Autodesk, Assimilate, Nuke or any of the other available systems. Even though they won't have every tool necessary for every project, who does? In fact, wouldn't they inquire of their customer base as to what they are missing, maybe hold a focus group?

Michael Forrest

Yes

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 2:48 PM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

The document in question is still available for everyone to see.

I just read it myself and couldn't help thinking how totally NUTS this is.

Since it's still there, unaltered, does this mean that Avid officially recommends NOT using DS for stereoscopic finishing?

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Tue, Apr 27 2010 3:35 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,245

Marianna:

I have pinged the marketing person who wrote the doc for calrifiation and or comment.

Stand by...... its Friday after 5 ET so I might not get an answer until Monday.

checks watch

Whistles

looks at sky

checks watch again

taps foot on sidewalk

It's now mid day Tuesday where you are....

Just say'n..... it ain't Monday anymore....

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 5 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller