Latest post Fri, Apr 30 2010 7:06 PM by tonyjover. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 9 2010 9:49 AM

Avid communication and marketing

Hi all,

Recently with the DS threads and Liquid EOL thread and before those many other marketing/communication related threads a pattern appears where posters are very unhappy with Avid's way of communicating or in better words lack of communication.

In this thread I want to bring up another point why it's such a big problem.

The never enough praised employees of Avid who spend a large part of their time in helping us posters when we have problems and supply the information they can, have explained that they are bound by SEC rules and Non disclosure agreements on what information they can supply. While I understand this I also have to deal with a number of rules as a customer.

As my main job is technical management of the 19 suites production company I also have to deal with creative management and financial management... yes there they are the beancounters.Sad All Investments are depreciated over a certain period of time according to tax law. For computers and software this is 3 years. For hardware like video recorders and monitors this is 5 years and for "big" machines like generators and air-conditioners the period is 7 years. So by tax law the economical life span of edit suite software or shared storage is 3 years. During that period the depreciation can be used for tax reduction. After 3 years the value in the books is reduced to zero. So the bean counters demand that any Avid investment is used for 3 years before being replaced.

What does Avid do with this fact? In the "new thinking" Avid now releases new versions or mayor updates of MC every 6 months. Great in itself but how about interoperability with your older releases? How about compatibility with shared storage? From experience exchanging projects between different versions has issues and all Unity/ISIS users make sure the whole system is on "compatible software levels". We all have learned to carefully read the readme's before updating anything.

In practice I have no problems with this but see a mayor issue here. Lets say I buy a Unity 5 system today, I can use that with all my current systems. Then in 3 days at NAB Avid releases a new version of MC not compatible with this shared storage. Now I don't believe this scenario to be, or become, true but at the same time Avid gives no information on how long they guarantee compatibility between systems.

Actually with the release of MN 4.1.6 Avid showed that it understands the point I try to make here. They made an update of the older MN 4 software to be compatible with the MN 5 clients.  Was that MN 4.1.6 marketed to all MN 4/5 users? Well not to me. Avid not marketing DS (updates) to customers like Oliver Peters.  Avid ignoring the Liquid user base for years and after customer complaints announcing its EOL. MC marketing not.... etc... this list can go on.

Dear Avid,

Communicating with your customers is important!!! Even if it is just to improve the impression people have on your products. The communication gap that exists between you and your customers needs to be closed by you, not us, not just on this forum, not on any other forum. SEC rules and NDA's are no excuses. Using NAB and IBC for release announcements and introductions is fine but the communication has to be a continues process.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 2:54 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 397
    • Points 4,735
    • Moderator: Avid DS

Re: Avid communication and marketing

jveekeres:
    Communicating with your customers is important!!!

I'm aware of one (very large - probably larger than Avid) corporation who were in the market to buy a new DS recently.  Due to the lack of communication from Avid (generally, but more specifically regarding DS) they very nearly didn't follow through with their purchase.  In the end they did, but that was despite Avid's arrogance, not because of it.

Tony

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 4:31 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,245

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one hears it does it make a noise?

And what is the sound of one hand clapinng?

And one "chats with Avid" does anyone at Avid hear it?

CHAT (as in "Chat with Avid") ;

–verb (used without object)
    to converse in a familiar or informal manner.
    –noun
    informal conversation: We had a pleasant chat.
    any of several small Old World thrushes, esp. of the genus Saxicola, having a chattering cry.
    yellow-breasted chat.
    —Verb phrase
    chat up, Chiefly British.
    a.
    to talk flirtatiously with.
    b.
    to talk to in a friendly, open way.

Ummmmm.... all about communicating (other than the bird)... so if we chat with Avid, and they don't chat with us.. are we communicating?

I nominate the Old World Thrush as the offical bird of Avid... i think they really mean this forum to be talking about the Old World Thrush...

Really... I mean it's obviously not about communcating... and it a kinda cool looking bird.. maybe the Avid marketing crew  could do a great new branding treatment based on the Old World Thrush... gotta do something with the time in hand now that the brilliant 3D stereoscopic white paper is completed...

d/

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 30 2010 4:58 PM In reply to

• GusC
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 6,570

There's plenty of chatting with Avid going on in this forum.  Just not in this particular thread or on this specific topic.

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 5:33 PM In reply to

GusC:
    There's plenty of chatting with Avid going on in this forum.  Just not in this particular thread or on this specific topic.

True or not.... why is that?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 6:09 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 397
    • Points 4,735

jveekeres:
    True or not.... why is that?

My responses are limited.  You must ask the right question.

On a more serious note... because we're asking questions about DS.  Avid don't like talking about DS.

Tony

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 6:32 PM In reply to

tonyjover:
    On a more serious note... because we're asking questions about DS.  Avid don't like talking about DS.

I don't think that is true.... but I really can't say.

tonyjover:

My responses are limited.  You must ask the right question.

I think this is the right question... not because I say so, because Avid's CEO Gary Greenfield sent all forum users a letter about 2 years ago explaining how Avid wanted to change. Improve communication with its users etc.... a letter that showed that, at least in part, Avid is VERY aware of the problems it had in the past and what has to happen to improve.

Plenty of improvements have happened the past 2 years. With it's biggest result being all new features in MC5. But there are also still a few problems that need to be addressed. Communication is one of them and I think this should be on the top of Avid's priority list.

Yesterday Avid mailed me the new "Avid spotlight" which is another step in the right direction and today the open letter about the acquisition of Euphonix. Another step in improved communication. Bravo Avid.

But more is needed. Avid guiding its MC users to non Avid products for stereoscopic finishing while they have a product, DS, that can be used for this as well is a...... tragic failure. IMHO responding to the posts written on this subject, of which you wrote plenty Tony, are part of the improvements Avid has to make and why this "chat with Avid" forum exists.

Staying silent makes me believe you're embarrassed Avid and hope by saying nothing the complaining eventually will go away. This is the old thinking.... the new thinking you talked about??? You can do better then staying silent! Aren't you?

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Apr 30 2010 7:06 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 397
    • Points 4,735

Well, Avid do have a new VP of marketing but I wouldn't expect him to have to deal with this so soon into his post.  Perhaps if no-one else is going to he'll have to.

Tony

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller