Latest post Mon, Apr 5 2010 11:28 PM by stu.mccoll. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 5 2010 3:12 PM

• ZARk.be
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 26 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80

Avid MediaComposer4 : Media Management ?

Hello

So i've just finished my first video using MC4. Honestly its hard to learn, but its really great once you know it.

My videos were avchd videos, so MC4 converted them into dnxhd format. And stored them in an AvidFiles folder.

Now my question is, how do i manage this ? I can't find any "workflow" suggestion whereas to media management.

Also i've tryed manually converting videos from avchd to dnxhd using MpegStreamclip, but MC4 wouldn't do a straight import. :( Thought that maybe that way it link the actual mov file to the bin and i could move files around without problem.

I'm going to shoot my next documentary tomorrow, and would like to make sure everything is nice and clean before starting the video.

With other software, the original mov file location was handled by me, i have a Videos folder on my hdd and a subfolder by documentary.

I hope you understand what my problem is and can guide me in the avid way :)

Oh yes, last question, do you guys think i should archive my original avchd files, or the dnxhd file ?

Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Apr 5 2010 3:18 PM In reply to

Re: Avid MediaComposer4 : Media Management ?

Media management is done using the Media Tool from the tools menu, especially when it comes time to delete a project and all of it's associated media files. You should NEVER delete media at the folder level. If you do, you are doing so without any project reference, which can be a recipe for disaster, punching media offline holes randomly in various projects. I'm assuming that you want to delete what you currently have on the system and start with a clean slate, is that correct?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 5 2010 3:39 PM In reply to

• ZARk.be
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80

Hello Larry, thank you for your fast reply.

I don't especially want to delete what is on my system. I would like to know how people usually go about managing media files for their projects.

I have seen that avid put all videos in the same directory, so right now as i don't understand how to manage these files i'm scared that if i import new videos it will be very messy !

Other softwares let me put these files wherever i want on my harddisk ( then re-link them, which is comfortable if i have moved a project on a backup hdd).

How do you manage your media files larry ? Once you finished a project. exported videos and everything. Is there a way to make a backup of your project + linked files ?

---

So i have finished my project, should i just leave everything like that and start the second project ?
    Is there an easy way to backup a mediacomposer project and linked files ?

Thank you for reading me, i've found all infos i wanted about MC on the net, but nothing about how to manage medias of a project, so i'm a bit worried :)

• Mon, Apr 5 2010 4:06 PM In reply to

ZARk.be:
    So i have finished my project, should i just leave everything like that and start the second project ?

Yes, as long as you have sufficient disk space for media from both projects. Remember that media files should ALWAYS be written to a separate drive, either internal, external or a RAID array, and NEVER to the system C: drive.

To back up a project and it's media, you would need to back up the specific project folder inside the master "Avid Projects" folder, and then back up either the entire "Avid MediaFiles" folder, or use a free download tool known as MDV, which can cluster media files by project at the folder level, in order to back up only the media for one particular project.

To delete a project and all of it's associated media, you would use the media tool.

The beauty of Avid's media management system is that you do it entirely at the project and bins level. Except for the times when it's necessary to rebuild the media database files, or to move media to a different drive or platform, you never need to handle your associated media files at the folder level. In fact, to do so is very risky, because you handling files without any reference to what project they are associated with - a recipe for disaster which could wind up with media offline holes punched randomly throughout all the projects you have on the system. Let Avid handle those media files in the background, as it's designed to do. You don't have to worry about where it puts those files, it knows how to track and find them for you.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 5 2010 4:09 PM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,440

May be what you need is the Consolidate Command. You can Consolodate all your Media Files to Another Drive from inside MC to Back up YOur Media Filis Also Backup Your Project Files along With ot. You Can also use Ap like MDV for AVID or Media Moover to Consolidate Your Media.

Edit

Well Larry Beat me to it!Smile

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Mon, Apr 5 2010 4:11 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,739
    • Points 227,800
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

As Larry says, media management in the MC software is done on a metadata level, not on a media file one. So, the MediaFiles folder structure is nothing but a bucket in which you can keep your files, the precise file management is done through the Media Tool and the bins. You can move, copy, delete, all on the Metadata level once you get to know the Media Tool.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Apr 5 2010 4:20 PM In reply to

• ZARk.be
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80

Okay i understand much better now !

I will look at manual to well understand the MediaTool and i'll import and create some test projects to get a good hand on it.

I saw the consolidate command, but wasn't sure what it did, and doing a quick google search didn't give me answer (and because i still have so much to google about MC i skipped it for now).

So last question, do you guys think i should archive my original AVCHD files ? (the ones that came out of my camera) ? or just archive the dnxhd file ? (which is an opensource codec, so support should be lifetime).

Thank you all for your answers, my avid trial is expiring soon, but have already asked my teacher for the forms to buy Avid MC4 Academic.  The software looks rock solid, and makes other softwares seem like toys; and really nice community !

• Mon, Apr 5 2010 4:35 PM In reply to

ZARk.be:
    I saw the consolidate command, but wasn't sure what it did, and doing a quick google search didn't give me answer (and because i still have so much to google about MC i skipped it for now).

In a nutshell, the consolidate tool can be used to change the project linkage of particular clips (or sequences) and their media by creating a discreetly duplicate set of pointer files and associated media files separate from the original ones. You will see a ".new" appendix to each of those files. You would use the "open bins" command to navigate to a bin in project B, while you are in project A and then consolidate. The newly created clips will be linked to project A, and will not disappear when you delete project B and it's media.

ZARk.be:
    So last question, do you guys think i should archive my original AVCHD files ? (the ones that came out of my camera) ? or just archive the dnxhd file ?

Since AVCHD is not a native Avid format, I would just archive the DnX files.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Apr 5 2010 11:28 PM In reply to

• stu.mccoll
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland
    • Posts 271
    • Points 3,420

ZARk.be:
    My videos were avchd videos, so MC4 converted them into dnxhd format. And stored them in an AvidFiles folder.
    I'm intrigued...did I miss an announcement? Does MC v4 now have the ability to deal with AVCHD by converting to DNxHD? Or is this only in the software available for "free trial", which I thought was the same as the "real thing"?

ZARk.be... Did you actually use another app outside of Avid to do this? If so what?

HP Workstations z400(x4) with MC 7.0.4, Win 7 Pro SP1 64bit on all. AJA IO Express on all. MacPro x3 with 10.9.4, 7.0.4 on 3, and 8.3 on the dual Xeon... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller