Latest post Wed, Jan 25 2006 8:34 PM by JeronCoolman. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 22 2006 9:46 PM

Idea [I] Curious: What books or other references have you bought related to editing/inspiration/ or interviews

I'm looking for some information on astetics of editing and the craft of editing whether its a book or a website, I have read articles at dvmag.com, but just wondering what others do for inspiration

Thanks
    Jana
  • Mon, Jan 23 2006 3:03 PM In reply to

• AK-Jake
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Anchorage, AK
    • Posts 2,576
    • Points 32,305

Re: Curious: What books or other references have you bought related to editing/inspiration/ or interviews

"Nonlinear Editing:  Storytelling, Aesthetics and Craft" by Bryce Button is really good.  Lots of info in that book.  Walter Murch did a book on cutting Cold Mountain, too.  I've heard that's a great, informative read as well.

I'm putting together a tip right now of what I consider to be essential reading.  I'll get it posted as soon as I finish it.

Take care.

Avid Symphony Nitris 3.x (DNA), HP xw8400, 3TB Avid Media-Array; Avid Xpress Studio HD Complete 5.1.3, HP xw8000, dual-3.06 ghz Xeon's; 2 GB of RAM;... [view my complete system specs]

When 900 years old YOU reach, look as good, YOU'LL not!!  Hmmm?

• Mon, Jan 23 2006 3:07 PM In reply to

Re: Curious: What books or other references have you bought related to editing/inspiration/ or interviews

I've looked for books on the same subject.

I liked "In the Blink of an Eye", but that was more "philosophical", http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1879505622/102-7703883-2984911?v=glance&n=283155

I'd like something that talkes about types of edits and transitions generally. For instance, sometimes I use a hard-cut and it just "feels" right and sometimes I have to use a dissolve transition to make it "feel" right. I never know why an edit "feels" right. It would be nice to read a book that says, "In this case use a hard-cut and in this case use a transition".

I edit a lot of martial artists and dancers and it seems that there is an involvement between the edits and the action and movement of the people. There has to be some sort of synergy between the subject's movements and actions and the types of transitions and cuts that are made. The movement of the camera seems to affect it as well.

Jeron

Click on Web Address [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 24 2006 12:17 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,453
    • Points 98,470

While having rules is good I like to work by what feels right, and don't really want rules at the forefront of my thinking.  And let's face it, rules are broken in our industry all the time.

For example, when "NYPD Blue" hit the screens for the first time everybody was impressed by the cutting techniques used.  But they totally broke the rules of television drama cutting prevalent at the time.  Similarly, every second MTV clip seems to be breaking some cast-in-stone "rule".  Do they work?  Well arguably more often than not.

My point is, there is only so much that you can learn about editing from books.  You can pick up techniques readily enough, and they will give you your basic tools.  But how you use those techniques should be entirely your own.  Don't dismiss "In the Blink of an Eye" because it's too philosophical.  The philosophy of editing is probably what you need.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 24 2006 2:41 PM In reply to

Yeah, I even had some of my martial arts students read "In the Blink of an Eye" just because of how philosophical it was Smile [:)]

I understand about breaking rules, but considering I'm a total noobie that knew absolutely nothing about film making a year ago, I'd like to read about what the rules are so I know what to break...

Jeron

• Tue, Jan 24 2006 2:49 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,487
    • Points 62,205
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

I see your point Jeron...rule breaking, IMHO is for those who are way ahead of the game...to a beginner, everything "feels right." lol
    Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2021.12 Pro Tools 2021... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 25 2006 8:34 PM In reply to

Ak-Jake,

Amazon just delivered "Nonlinear Editing:  Storytelling, Aesthetics and Craft" by Bryce Button Smile [:)]

I just browsed through it and it looks like the type of book I've been looking for. Thanks for the tip.

Jeron

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller