Latest post Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:53 AM by Job ter Burg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:02 AM

• heiner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 9 2009
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Trouble importing P2 mxf files at 1:1

I shot some SD footage on my Panasonic HPX170 at  the 480 60i DVCPRO setting. I am on a MAC Pro with MC 3.1 (no mojo). Eventually what I shot needs to be delivered on DVD as well as uploaded to a site for streaming. Try as I might, I can't seem to import the P2 clips at 1:1. I've changed Media Creation settings, and the clips always import at DV 25 411. Is it not possible to bring in SD mxf clips at a higher resolution than DV 25 411.

I looked through some other threads and the only thing I could see that sort of pertained to what I was doing was someone who was trying to "up-rez" their P2 footage. I'm just trying to bring it in with as little compression as possible.  I tried transcoding one of the clips in the bin to 1:1 and side by side, they looked equally compressed.

I don't have a client monitor, I'm working off of my computer monitor for reference. But the footage has quite a bit of noise in the darks, is soft overall, pixelated, and has jagged lines(some interlacing-I suspect). I thought this was all a result of the DV 25 411 resolution.

Is DV25 411 The highest res for capture when dealing with DVC PRO or DV mxf files?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Specs: Mac Pro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6GB 800MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS X: 10.5.8 Avid MC v3.1

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Fri, Jan 8 2010 3:18 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,413
    • Points 29,945
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Trouble importing P2 mxf files at 1:1

How are you "importing" the P2? Are you using P2 Clips to Bin and Media Command?

P2 creates the exact same media as the Media Composer and it is natively supported. Using these command will link to and consolidate the media to storage. It can't be transcoded on import. Even if it did, it would be the same result as transcoding in a bin.

Have you taken a look at the information on the Avid/P2 Landing page: http://www.avid.com/p2/

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Fri, Jan 8 2010 7:36 PM In reply to

You're probably getting the best image available, considering your recording format. Ingest to a 1:1 MXF codec may buy you some headroom for further compositing, etc.

I understand DVCPro to be 720x480 resolution, recorded with 4:1:1 color sampling, as is DV. Analogous formats, really. Technically, I'd be interested in the techs amongst us pointing out the difference between generic DV recordings and DVCPro recordings. Not sure there are any to speak of. 

DVCPro50, however, records at twice the data rate of DV, with 4:2:2 color sampling.  A poor man's DigiBeta, (admittedly at 8-bit rather than 10)

...so your ingest is not too far off the mark. Don't tell anyone, but for both SD DVD and web destinations, I've shot DVCPro for a number of projects, with clients quite pleased with the results.  Your mileage may vary. 

2 systems: Mobile: 16-inch Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 8-Core i9 w/64 gig RAM, 2TB SSD, OS 10.15.3 running MC 2020 Beta Legacy - MC v5.5.4, OS 10.5.8, QT 7.6, on... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:22 PM In reply to

You are probably doing the following:

1. File->Import P2 Clips

2. File->Import P2 Media

Doing that, you have brought the footage in at its native resolution, without any loss of data or quality.

If you really need to "up" the footage to 1:1x (I would not see the benefit, though), you should:

1. File->Import P2 Clips

2. Clip->Transcode and select to transcode the clips to 1:1x.

The footage will not look better, but it will take up way more disk space and will require faster drives to play back.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 9 2010 2:30 AM In reply to

• heiner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 9 2009
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Thank you all for your input. I did not realize that DVCPRO mxf files could not be brought in any higher than DV25 411 (resolution). That is what it sounds like is the case. I now have a new problem exporting which I will post in a new thread.

Josh

• Sat, Jan 9 2010 10:53 AM In reply to

heiner:
    I did not realize that DVCPRO mxf files could not be brought in any higher than DV25 411

But you can! Did you read my notes on Transcode?

You just have to ask yourself why you would want to work in a higher resolution than the native one. If you have reasons to do it, by all means, do so. For me, I would usually prefer to transfer to some Avid resolution, like 2:1 for example.

However, do realise that regular P2 import is NOT a transcode, but just throwing bits from one container into another, keeping the exact same data as is present in the source (which in the case of DVCPRO is DV25 411).

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller