Latest post Wed, May 27 2009 3:53 PM by gmontgomery. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 28 2009 10:45 AM In reply to

• Chad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 14 2005
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,190

Re: .m2ts Files

This worked well on my XP machine.  I was going to SD, so had to do another pass in Squeeze to downconvert them - but if you want to stay in HD it's a one step process.

Avid MCA 3.0 on WinXP SP2 3Gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Apr 28 2009 12:44 PM In reply to

• ianeditz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 15 2009
    • Posts 48
    • Points 745

Mpeg stream clip will surely do the job and the best thing is it is free

• Tue, Apr 28 2009 6:23 PM In reply to

• Steve
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Raleigh NC
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,370

I was able to transcode it and Avid imported the resulting clip but it imported as just a white screen with no audio.  I did not see an option to transcode to DNxHD in the trial version.  Is it possible that features are stripped out of the trial or am I just not looking in the right place.

System Specs: ImacPro 3.2 GHz, 32 GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 56 OS 11.6 AVID MC 2021.12 Black Magic 4k Extreme mini 10g Ethernet to QNAP NAS [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 28 2009 10:55 PM In reply to

Here's a quick and dirty for using TMPGEnc.

1) Choose Start a new project

2) Choose Add file

3) Navigate to the file you want to choose and press Open

4) Look at the info dispalyed under Clip Settings, Video and Audio. It should all look correct.

5) Press OK

6) Choose Format

7) Click on QuickTime and press Select

8) Choose Settings...

9) Click on the pulldown menu next to Compression type

10) Choose Avid DNxHD Codec

11) Click on the pulldown menu next to Resolution and select the flavor of DNxHD you want to use. They are organized by recording format. The higher the number the higher the quality but also the more space used. Also don't use a higher quality that's not listed for that format. For example, I've found using 220 10-bit with 720p/23.976 can cause some banding.

12) Change Depth to Millons of Colors (w/ no "+" after it). Press OK.

13) I would leave the Size and Framerate the same unless you wan to change these, which TMPGEnc can do.

14) Press Audio and press Settings...

15) Compressor should be none. Rate should be 48.000.

16) Press Encode

17) Press Optoins and choose Save project and save it.

18) Press Browse to specify the output file path and name.

19) Press the bottom left icon that looks like a film frame with an arrow on top of it. This will start the transcoding process.

20) Import the projet into MC. If everything went as it should, the file will fast import into MC.

While it looks like a lot of steps, b/c you save the project, it become rather easy. Also TMPGEnc has a lot of very powerful features, like the ability to deinterlace, ingest from DVD's, and a lot more.

I highly recommend it. But there are some very fine suggestions in other post as well.

HTH. :)

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Apr 28 2009 11:35 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,450
    • Points 98,435

Are you doing this conversion on a different PC to the one on which you have Avid installed?  If that's the case you may have very few common codecs on both systems.

The effect that you're seeing is classic "I don't have the codec necessary to play this" behaviour.  If you are in fact using a second PC you have two choices; either install the Avid codecs LE package on your conversion PC or install TMPGenc on your Avid system.

If you do the first you should be able to export DNxHD from that PC for import into Avid, if you do the second you'll be able to convert on your Avid PC.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 28 2009 11:55 PM In reply to

And you can download the Avid codecs LE package here.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Apr 29 2009 3:36 AM In reply to

• Steve
    • Not Ranked
    • Raleigh NC
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,370

This is soooo frustrating.  The instructions provided were very thorough, thank you.  Upon choosing the codec in TMPgenc I get this message.

TMPGEnc4XPTrial.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

System Specs: ImacPro 3.2 GHz, 32 GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 56 OS 11.6 AVID MC 2021.12 Black Magic 4k Extreme mini 10g Ethernet to QNAP NAS [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 29 2009 4:52 AM In reply to

BTW, you should post your complete system specs to your profile. I encountered this problem when using the wrong version of QuickTime. I'm now using QT 7.5.5. Also the version of video drivers can affect this as well.

I'd check those and let us know what you're running.

But don't just start updating QT and your video drivers, as they are dependent upon which version of MC you are running. So what's correct for me might not be for you.

Here is a list showing what versions you should have installed: http://avidtechnology.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/avidtechnology.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=75147&p_created=1202760115&p_sid=N9eEJvwj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTcsMTcmcF9wcm9kcz0yNzYmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0xLjI3NiZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXZlcnNpb24gbWF0cml4&p_li=&p_topview=1

If you think they are good, then test out TMPGEnc Xpress w/ a source file it definitely should be able to handle, like an HDV or even WMV. If you still get the same problem, then it's something with your install.

I'd also look at things like running anti-virus programs and all the other stuff you're not supposed to have.

HTH and hang in there :).

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, May 7 2009 5:58 PM In reply to

• Wm Warne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 21 2009
    • Orange, California
    • Posts 61
    • Points 840

I have a Canon Vixia HFS100; it creates AVCHD mts files and comes with Version 5 of ImageMixer 3.  I tried most of the suggestions on the forulm (not TMPGenc, however).  What worked for me was to import the mts file into Corel's VideoStudio Pro X2 and then render the file as a HD mpg; MC imported the mpg file without any problems.  Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate was also able to import the mts file, but MC was not able to import the rendered file.

Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 (rev 2.0) motherboard, Black Magic Intensity HDMI capture card, core 2 duo 6600 @2.4GHz, 4G ram, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640 Mb video... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 14 2009 3:44 AM In reply to

• ianeditz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 15 2009
    • Posts 48
    • Points 745

Sorry to bang on but Mpeg Streamclip is the answer. It is free and converts M2t to MXF at any Avid resolution easily and pain free.

Ian

• Thu, May 14 2009 3:08 PM In reply to

• Wm Warne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 21 2009
    • Orange, California
    • Posts 61
    • Points 840

Thanks for the info ian.  I tried Mpeg Streamclip 1.2, installed on a non-avid computer.  I used quicktime alternative 1.81 and installed the Avid lite edition codecs.  When I attempted to open the Canon MTS file with Streamclip it said that the file was not supported, but gave me the option to try anyway.  So I did.  Streamclip crashed.  I noticed that streamclip has a "preference" tab, however.  What settings are you using for your preferences?  I didn't change anything from the default install.

Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 (rev 2.0) motherboard, Black Magic Intensity HDMI capture card, core 2 duo 6600 @2.4GHz, 4G ram, Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640 Mb video... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 27 2009 3:53 PM In reply to

• gmontgomery
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 5 2008
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 60

I tried quite a few of these options in an attempt to get some files off a Blu-Ray disc (not pirated, it was the only way a client had an HD version of some graphics). After much laboring with both m2ts and m2t files, I tried an overkill option. I dropped it into After Effets CS4. Low and behold, it took both m2ts and m2t files. Then after rendering out in DNxHD 145, I could finally work with these files. Sad how many times I have had to use AE to transcode files.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller