Latest post Mon, Jan 5 2009 6:17 AM by RayBrown. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 3 2009 8:53 PM

• RayBrown
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 28 2007
    • Posts 18
    • Points 215

Suddenly "Can't find any audio cards. You will not be able to play audio..."

I've been using the software for about a year, now when I open Avid Xpress it gives me a random message during load up that says "Can't find any audio cards in your system. You will not be able to play audio." I can select Quit or Continue. This is so random, and I've never had this problem before. Music will play through my system, so I know nothing is wrong with my audio card. I HAVE already went through other messages with the similar problem, but haven't gotten anywhere. The only thing that I can think of is that I have recently began connecting an iPod to this computer and using iTunes, but the device is never connecting when I'm using Avid. Other than that.... the computer is the same as it was a week ago when I last used Avid. Now, I can't get past the start-up screen unless I choose no Audio. I was also prompted to reinstall the mmdriver.inf, and I have already done that. Restarted many times. And, it’s still not working. This is a big inconvenience and I don't know what to do. I've reinstalled audio drivers, everything is updated, and all was fine until now. Is anyone else having this problem? What should I do? Please help. Thanks so much in advance for your time! -Ray

• Sun, Jan 4 2009 11:01 AM In reply to

Re: Suddenly "Can't find any audio cards. You will not be able to play audio..."

Hi Ray,

RayBrown:
    The only thing that I can think of is that I have recently began connecting an iPod to this computer and using iTunes, but the device is never connecting when I'm using Avid.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but when something's working, and then suddenly it's not, it's usually whatever was changed that's causing the problem.  When you installed iTunes, did you also upgrade your version of Quicktime?  Assuming you're running Xpress Pro 5.8 (from the tags you selected), you should be running QT 7.3. 

If that's not it, reply back to this thread with your system specifications, and we'll see what else we can try.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2022.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jan 4 2009 6:05 PM In reply to

• RayBrown
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 215

Re: Suddenly "Can't find any audio cards. You will not be able to play audio..."

I am running Xpress Pro 5.8, and Quicktime is up to date. I also tried taking out the card and putting it in another PCI slot, that didn't help either. Under "My Computer" an iPhone" icon was coming up, so I honestly think that this ridiculous iPod and iTunes is the problem since thats the only thing that has changed.

Just to test it out, I made another user account "Avid Editing" and only installed Avid on there. It works fine. So, when I want to edit, I just have to change users. My inexperienced guess is that the software was interferring, aince the problem doesn't presisit on the new account. Correct me if I'm wrong or if this gives you an idea as to what was wrong.

I would like to be able to have it back how it was so I can edit from my account, but I can live wiht this.

Thanks for all your help! It is very much appreciated. Smile

-Ray

• Sun, Jan 4 2009 6:21 PM In reply to

Hi Ray,

RayBrown:
    I am running Xpress Pro 5.8, and Quicktime is up to date.

If by "up to date" you mean you're running Quicktime 7.5.5, that could be your problem.  You should be running 7.3 for your version of Xpress Pro.  You can find older versions of Quicktime here.  Try going back to Quicktime 7.3 and see if that helps.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2022.10 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jan 5 2009 6:17 AM In reply to

• RayBrown
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 215

No. Unfortuantely that didn't fix it. Thanks for your help though. I will just have to live with logging in to another account to use the software. It's cool. I still think it has sometihng to do with iTunes or the iPod being connected beforehand. I dunno! Thanks again though!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller