Latest post Thu, Nov 20 2008 1:01 PM by haukez. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 14 2008 1:40 PM

• haukez
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,545

need Ideas on a simple Problem

... but it went Complex, maybe one of you have the answer:

how to reimport edited mixdown media back into Avid?

shure, i should have add an audiosuite effect in my sync-Sequence and then mixdown that, but thats to late now: all of my clips are already synced and renamed and organized... over a thousend ones!

Where i start, what i want:

i start to edit a feature Film project right now:

• 4 track audio (24bit/48kHz BWF), often 4 different Soundsources at very different levels/dynamics -> a lot of adjustments during the editing

My "solution":

•  in my sync-sequences, i reserved A1 for a mono-mixdown of the first 2 tracks (wich are the boom-mics mostly),
    • i've generated all subclips with this monomixdown on A1 
    • then i noticed the wide range of dynamics and sometimes bad understandability and so i wanted to compress this mixdown afterwards

my first guess was to buy a 2Channel hardware compressor/limiter an connect it to my analog mixing board.

But thats a waste of money, isnt it? I could have the same and even more control with the softwaretools i already have...

So,

i just picked the .aif files of my mixdowns out of the OMFI Folder and wanted to dynamicly enhance (compress) them in Soundforge or Soundbooth. But here is what happened: None of these Apps could open it (Soundforge7: "unsupported Format"/Soundbooth:  Just Noise)

So i went further and exported the MixdownMasterclips out of Avid as

*as .aiff@ProjectRate/depth and

*as .mov QT-References.

Both Formats could then be opened and edited. BUT as i wanted to reconnect the Masterclips of the Mixdowns in Avid via "Batch Import" it always says in the Console:

CM_LABEL_NOT_FOUND ... (?!?)

• Then i tryed to overwrite the aif file in the omfi with the one out of Soundforge with exactly same naming and Properties. But the avid scanned the Folder and says: "file ... does appear not to be an OMF File..." and it went offline 
    • I then just imported the enhanced soundfiles into avid as Masterclips and tryed to relink the Mixdowns to them - but this fails of course, because avid relink media using TC and Tape Information and either the imported clips or the mixdowns doesnt have such Metadata.
    • I then tryed to add these metadata via "modify". But this isnt allowed for mixdownmedia because "No TC Track found" 

maybe i will try one more with metacheater software wich generates .ale files to add metadata to the aiff files,

but

i think that doesnt work

does anybody have an idea how to reimport edited mixdownmedia back into Avid?

would be happy if anybody has an idea which simple solution i shurely forgot.

Thanks!!!

Hauke

MC 2.8

• Fri, Nov 14 2008 8:43 PM In reply to

• Chad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 14 2005
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,190

Re: need Ideas on a simple Problem

I'm not sure if this will help, but have you tried Batch Import?  In my experience Avid will only recognise two methods of restoring media, and this is by capturing (using TC, which obviously you can't do) or importing.  Of course this all falls down if there's no existing connection between the sequence you're editing and the clips you want to bring back in.

Avid MCA 3.0 on WinXP SP2 3Gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 15 2008 6:31 PM In reply to

• haukez
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,545

Hi Chad,

yes i've tryed exactly that - batch import, but the application says "0 Clips of ... where inported" because of "CM_LABEL_NOT_FOUND..." in the console.

of course there is a connection between the mixdowns i want to tweak and my subclips because the mixdowns are part of them.

thank you, anyway

(i know, quite a long post :)    )

• Sat, Nov 15 2008 7:42 PM In reply to

You can not Batch Import or Batch Capture any Mixdowns.  It says right on the Audio Mixdown dialogue box

"NOTE:  Audio Mixdowns are for playback and direct output auto assembly only.  They cannot be re-created in batch digitize, or used to generate an EDL."

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Nov 16 2008 12:33 AM In reply to

• Chad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 14 2005
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,190

Yes that's right - but Haukez's post suggested he had then imported the resulting aiff files having located them in the OMFI MediaFiles folder - this process would normally then create a connection that could be utilized by Batch Import.

Sadly - it seems that is not the case....

Avid MCA 3.0 on WinXP SP2 3Gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 20 2008 1:01 PM In reply to

• haukez
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,545

Yes, thank you both,

i know, i kind of "missused"  the feature. And i'm aware of the meaning and purpose of Mixdowns. But the Error is not Part of that Feature, i think. I just thougt i could "swap" the Aif-Files or direct edit them without let the Avid Software knowing this. But this fails.

So,

I think i have to buy Hardware to get the Dialogues compressed (and without putting AudiosuiteFX on every Subclip).

Thanks for reading.

H.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller