Latest post Thu, Aug 28 2008 9:05 AM by John. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 27 2008 10:37 PM

• SteLot
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 17 2008
    • Posts 31
    • Points 535

Help with 'Jaggies'

Dear Friends,

We've noticed that while we're editing our art work looks great.  But, once we output through the  MOJO, all the art work (graphics, art, quicktime animations that are keyed over video), all have jagged edges.  It makes our work look cheap.

The interesting twist is that the ONLY thing that doesn't ever get jagged edges, is the fonts we type up right in the AVID program.  They always look sharp and free of jagged edges.  But, if we do a title on a title page that we creat in Photoshop and then import into the project, we definately get jagged edges on it when we go to export to tape and/or view in the client monitor.  It's weird.

FYI, we always import in 1-to-1, render in 1-to-1, etc.  So, I don't believe that this is an issue.

We are running Media Composer on one machine, and Express Pro on another.  Both machines seem to have this issue when we export.  And, by the way, we are exporting through a MOJO on the Composer machine and a Canopus on the Express Pro machine.  So, I don't think the issue is the digital output boxes.

We run XP Pro on both machine with NVIDIA video cards and 4 gb of Ram.

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Cindy

Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @3.07GHz, 8 gb DDR 2 RAM, Vista Business 64 bit edition, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 graphics card, Audigy Sound Card, Media Composer 3... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 28 2008 12:00 AM In reply to

• Chad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 14 2005
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,190

Re: Help with 'Jaggies'

This is probably artifacts being caused by interlacing, where fine detail in your graphics 'pops' on and off field lines as they are redrawn on the video monitor.  I routinely add a gaussian blur in Photoshop of 0.3 pixels (this is for SD work) and this 'bleeds' the detail nicely into the next field.  This also applies to stuff I've composited in After Effects, but in that case I use 'Reduce Interlace Flicker' and a setting of about 0.4.

I hope this helps....

Avid MCA 3.0 on WinXP SP2 3Gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 28 2008 9:05 AM In reply to

• John
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Glasgow, Scotland
    • Posts 178
    • Points 2,135

Re: Help with 'Jaggies'

I do a lot of after effects work then bring it into MC or EXPro

I found that rendering field order thing an issue till someone told me that DV footage uses lower field first and most other formats use Upper field first.

I use uncompressed QT when rendering out from After effects and select the field order depending on the footage. If you are outputing stills from photoshot etc for overlays the best result with dop shadows and blurs is alwas PNG files. they rock!

Hope that is of some help.

John

Media Composer 6 on HPZ800, 12GB Ram, 2x Mac Pro MC 5 and 5.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller