Latest post Mon, Aug 18 2008 8:38 PM by BLKDOG. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 17 2008 11:17 PM

• edu88le
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • san antonio
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Closed captions won't capture from tape via Sony HDV deck

Hi,

One of our clients sends us shows already closed captioned, but needs to be run through Avid for audio issues. The problem is that when the show tape is captured into the Avid off the HDV deck, the closed captions do not appear. I have tried various things from turning on the closed captions option in the menu of the HDV deck, hooking the deck up all 3 possible ways: via firewire as well as well as SDI and component through the mojo.I am guessing it is a problem with the deck and not Avid since we have never had any problems capturing media with closed captions from the BetaSP decks. One thing is that Avid always seems to have a problem recognizing the HDV decks and we usually have to settle for letting it default on Generic Deck. Everything else works good, no matter what way it is hooked up: (deck control, picture, batch capturing etc..) It just doesn't seem to be able to recognize the Closed Captions. Any input would be greatly appreciated, as for the time being, we have to dub onto BetaSP and capture from that. I'd rather keep a few generations. Thanks!

(Work) Powermac G5 Quadcore Pentium 1.5 TB AXP 5.7 w/ Mojo SDI (Home) Avid MC 3.01 (MAC) PowerPC G5 2.5 (dualcore) ATI Radeon 9600 XT: (2) 500... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 18 2008 12:30 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,739
    • Points 227,800
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Closed captions won't capture from tape via Sony HDV deck

HDV is a thin raster format and does not include CC in your Avid software.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Aug 18 2008 7:51 PM In reply to

• edu88le
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • san antonio
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

In MY Avid Software or all Avid software. Are you telling me there is no way around this other than dubbing off onto BetaSP for Avid capture? We have gotten CCs to show up in one of our old HDV decks, so I know there must be a workaround.

(Work) Powermac G5 Quadcore Pentium 1.5 TB AXP 5.7 w/ Mojo SDI (Home) Avid MC 3.01 (MAC) PowerPC G5 2.5 (dualcore) ATI Radeon 9600 XT: (2) 500... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 18 2008 7:59 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,739
    • Points 227,800
    • Avid Employee

Last I checked Avid did not support CC in HDV. Now, that was using a DNx resolution. Not sure about 1:1 though. I'll check on that for you.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Aug 18 2008 8:38 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,739
    • Points 227,800
    • Avid Employee

Here's the official word from Avid:

The DX hardware doesn’t support capture of HD Closed Caption at all. I understand it “passes” CC if its captured via HD-SDI with an Adrenaline.

The DX doesn’t have a firewire I/O so the computer has to be shut down and the DX hardware ware turned off so its now software only.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller